Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made my wife happy yesterday when this arrived via UPS.
It's Emeril Lagasse's Power Air Fryer 360. 12 One-Touch Presets • 9 Appliances in one.
I got it online from Kohl's for just under $170 tax included with free shipping. The TV infomercial (I love watching some of them) price was $199.96 A quick internet search saved me nearly $30!
We had a perfectly good Kenmore convection toaster oven, but if that is what she wants, that is what she gets! We have two kitchens so the Kenmore won't be discarded, just not used very often.View attachment 38798
She never says no to me when I buy trains, she encourages me!

Louis - did the machine come with the chicken in it, already cooked?! Nice - your first meal at no cost!! :rolleyes:

Louis - I agree - - today's cartoons can't hold a candle to Bugs, Elmer, Daffy, Foghorn, Roadrunner, etc.
Johnny, the only modern cartoon I've seen that could even hold a candle to the Looney tunes was Steven Spielberg's "The Animaniacs" and I have to say I've enjoyed watching SpongeBob with my grandson. Pinky and the Brain were my favorite Animaniacs characters.

I wish the chicken came with it, it does look good, but it would have been messy!

Define "old fart" drivers. My youngest daughter says I drive to slow, but I've been driving this way since I started driving as part of making my living, 22 years old maybe?

I think it's like anything else "use it or lose it". I did not drive much for over 10 years before becoming a contractor for Amazon. At first I felt uneasy, but after a few weeks I feel like I never skipped a beat. Don't ask me how or why, but even my night vision has improved.
"Old Fart" driving is generally negligent driving, a total obliviousness to the prevailing situation: say, 10 mph under the limit on the freeway, not using your signals in heavy traffic, not seeing pedestrians or other cars, that kind of thing. And, while there is an element of skill maintenance involved, your ability to drive at all depends on your physical and mental health; when one or both of those start to go, so does your ability to drive.

Good morning everyone. Time for coffee, pancakes, and sausage, please, Flo!!

Louis, Chessie, Ken, Chet, Beady, Willie, Patrick, Dave, Garry, Flip, and anyone whose name I missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my steamer and station scene from yesterday's post.
Willie - you still getting triple-digit temps these days? It's hot enough for me here, with mid-90s (air temp) and heat indices over 100.
Garry - There's a scenic train in northwest Arkansas I just found out about- I'll have to investigate. Think it runs to Fort Smith and back north. Maybe you already know about it. If it looks worthwhile, maybe we can meet again and ride together next time you're over this way.

Interesting evening yesterday - - drove home from work, and as we entered our subdivision, we noticed debris all over the lawns and streets. We live at the far end of the subdivision, on a cul-de-sac, and as we drove further we saw large limbs and larger tree debris on the ground. Then whole trees, including one enormous oak, pushed over with the root ball out of the ground. One house had a neighbor's large limb come down against it, and another house had half a tree leaning against it. At another house, a tree split in half. No sign of lights, and the power company was out working on several downed lines. Got to our place and no major limbs down (and no house damage!), just a lot of debris, and no power. Got our little 5000 watt generator out, mostly to run the two refrigerators we have, started it on the first pull (never did that before!) and as soon as I did, the lights came on in the house. On top of that, I pulled a muscle getting the generator back into the separate garage/shop, so I limped the rest of the evening. Much better this morning.

So, nothing to report from the train room. Here are a couple of photos, though. No, they're not trains, but this is one of the ways I fund my model railroading habit - - selling crafts like these at fall craft fairs. Magazine storage bins (pine), birdhouses (pine and cedar), and the smaller decorative crafts (pine or cedar) like horses, cats, ducks, geese, and those "candles" (except I need to correct the flame paint job to be accurate).
crafts1.jpg
craftcloseup1.jpgChristmasCraft1.jpg
I'm still pretty amateur, but getting better. In my youth, my dad had a woodworking shop in our basement in New York, and he taught me some basic woodcrafts. He wasn't a professional, but good enough to build our two story house and some furniture! That love of wood has been with me my whole life. MOH and I will walk into a Lowes, HD, or Menards, and I'll stroll down the lumber aisles taking deep breaths :) !!

Have a good day everyone.

Johnny, the only modern cartoon I've seen that could even hold a candle to the Looney tunes was Steven Spielberg's "The Animaniacs" and I have to say I've enjoyed watching SpongeBob with my grandson. Pinky and the Brain were my favorite Animaniacs characters.

I wish the chicken came with it, it does look good, but it would have been messy!

Louis - You're right again. I did like Pinky and the Brain a little, and SpongeBob is okay but I couldn't take too much of it.

Good Morning All. 77°, clear and no breeze. High of only 99° yesterday. Cool front is still in the forecast for a week from tomorrow. ?!?!? Update on my wife's knee replacement surgery after three weeks. Monday she stopped taking the prescription pain medications, Vicodin and something else. She was tired of being a zombie. Yesterday she climbed the eight steps up to the pool deck and got into the pool for 45 minutes or so. It's been killing her not to be able to do that and it's a sure step to both physical and mental recovery. Without the meds, she got over the anxiety of trying to do this.
Bacon and blueberry pancakes for me this morning Flo, with lots of maple syrup.

Thanks for the likes and positive comments regarding yesterday's progress picture of the market; Mike, Chad, Phil, Garry, Dave, Patrick, Chet, Ken, Justin, Tom, Louis.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I took a break from the Fresh Market. I moved across the tracks to finish up parts of the previous scene with the Tire Shack. Some areas I like to contemplate over for a couple of weeks before I do the final scenery to ensure that I like the way I placed them. Here's a before shot to show where I left off.
08-21-19 002.JPG

Now a progress shot showing where I left off yesterday. While it isn't visible in either shot, I ballasted about 6" of passing siding on the left through a switch that I skipped last month. Then I added the parking lot, simply painting the plywood base a concrete color. Moved the dumpster enclosure a bit and found a couple of vehicles.
08-21-19 003.001.JPG

Today will be ground foam day and maybe a tree or two and more figures. Still contemplating whether or not to open a garage door which would then require interior detailing...maybe later.
Could have done more, but I got the urge to run trains for a while.

Johnny - I like your station scene. I like all of the figures and activity that you include in all of your scenes.
Garry - The rockwork behind the Santa Fe engine is superb.
Dave - Thanks for noticing the ice machine. I think that details such as that really add to the scene. It actually came with the kit for me to paint and decorate. I intend to scratchbuild a couple more using that one as a model, for use elsewhere on the layout.
Greg - Nice crane, but too clean!
Chet - Good to see a post from you again. I like your interpretation of the Fresh Market. It's a shame that I cannot use more of the dry transfers on mine because the prices are too unrealistic for my era. On the other hand, how many might realize that??
Beady - My wife's instructions on taking the keys away are when I quit looking at young women on the sidewalks or alongside me.
Louis - Avocado, guacamole or tomatoes are all just suggested sides for Huevos rancheros. Most around here, myself included, prefer spicy hot salsa (Pace Hot Salsa) slathered on like BBQ sauce. I personally do not like avocado or guacamole. Sounds like the Spanish guys were eating tamales. Very good when made right. By the way, Nachos are not really Mexican food, but a Tex-Mex dish, despite the fact that they did originate just across the border. Despite it's heavy use in Mexican restaurants, real Mexican food does not include a lot of cheese except in breakfast dishes.

Today is National Senior Citizens Day, some of our fellow forum members might fit into this category. While I get discounts, It's a state of mind that I haven't reached yet.
Everybody have a great day.

"Old Fart" driving is generally negligent driving, a total obliviousness to the prevailing situation: say, 10 mph under the limit on the freeway, not using your signals in heavy traffic, not seeing pedestrians or other cars, that kind of thing. And, while there is an element of skill maintenance involved, your ability to drive at all depends on your physical and mental health; when one or both of those start to go, so does your ability to drive.
How about falling asleep at traffic lights?

I've got several cartoons in our DVD collection, but I prefer printed comic strips; my favorite is Bloom County, which is now back in production at the request of Harper Lee back in 2015(?). This is the funniest single panel I've ever seen, in or out of its strip's context:

20180829_194529.jpg

So "old fart" driving is not when they park the car and open the door and the stench hits you from twenty or thirty feet away? o_O

I've got several cartoons in our DVD collection, but I prefer printed comic strips; my favorite is Bloom County, which is now back in production at the request of Harper Lee back in 2015(?). This is the funniest single panel I've ever seen, in or out of its strip's context:

View attachment 38805

That one is funny. Yeah, Bloom County was good. Glad to hear its coming back. I also really liked Calvin & Hobbes - I think I have every one of their "collections" books.

That one is funny. Yeah, Bloom County was good. Glad to hear its coming back. I also really liked Calvin & Hobbes - I think I have every one of their "collections" books.
Breathed apparently is only publishing on his Facebook account at present, which gets picked up by a couple of fan accounts. His website is mainly merchandising (I confess I'm addicted to his plush dolls, but please don't tell anyone). One interesting development is that he's been doing the occasional mashup with Calvin and Hobbs.

FB_IMG_1566392267238.jpg

One more:

FB_IMG_1565779720870.jpg

Old fart driving applies to handicap licenses and placards as well. They think handicap means they don't have to follow rules.

And remember: There are no old farts, they're all new.

Old fart driving applies to handicap licenses and placards as well. They think handicap means they don't have to follow rules.

And remember: There are no old farts, they're all new.
Umm... We have a handicapped placard.

Was 112* here in Laughlin yesterday and 117* is expected today. I stopped to fill the gas tank and being under the canopy of the station, I did not "suffer" from the heat; however, once I was not in the shade- the sun was scorching!
I did find out that having to take the written test applies to the over 75 crowd to see if your "reasoning" is not impaired. My "old fart" driving nowadays is mostly limited to the posted speed limits. I don't need any 460 dollar rolling stop sign tickets. They can call me "Qtip", or "Cotton Top" - I don't care -The fines out here are in the stratosphere!

Willie - really glad to hear of Arlean's progress! That's great. P.S. I love Mexican food - all kinds (except that intestine soup) ... fact is - I love most all food!
My father at 88 used to say that when he quit looking - just throw some dirt over him!

Beady -- I have no idea of the inner workings of your mind, but quite funny most of the time!

I;m going to visit a couple former neighbors and then head for home around noon.

Cooled down a bit more over night than the previous couple nights. Low in the mid 60s. Should be hot hot by late afternoon.

Tamales, when made well, are quite good, in my opinion. I've not had bean based ones, but have had beef and chicken based ones that were really good.

I had hoped to run some trains a few days ago, but did not get to it until last night. I am all N-scale. The track, which is KATO Unitrack just sitting on blue foam, has been sitting in the basement, non-covered, for a couple months while I took care of other issues and did not run anything. I did not clean anything or de-dust anything. Just fired up the DR-5000 DCC control station (and booster)*, replaced the batteries in the Roco Z21 wireless LAN "mouse" controllers, and tried to drive the trains that have been sitting on the track since I last ran trains. There are several consecutive loops of track (with cross overs) used as test track. With multiple different detection zones. All set up to learn about detection and setting up various DCC configs.

Anyway, the Tomix Hikari Rail Star 700 Shinkansen just worked, for the most part (not the full train -- I was working on testing light boards, previously, so had 5 of the 8 cars on the track). The KATO EF66-100 and 3 KoKi (container flat cars) also pretty much just worked. The track is not great in that there are wires running under some places which cause little rises that are kind of "sharp" where track joins, and that sort of thing, and the track was probably a bit dusty so the first couple times around there were some hesitations but all in all it was ok. The disappointment was a set of Brawa and Piko diesels. They moved a bit, but really did not want to do anything. One of them I got to go 1/4 way around and the other a bit less, but they basically gave up. The locomotives are basically new, with just an hour of DC driving before installing decoders (both take 6 pin plug in) and then another 30-60 minutes under DCC earlier this year. I need to clean the track and maybe set up some test track and see what is up with those two.

* I don't need a booster on my track now, but was learning about and practicing setting it up and configuring it along with the detection stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back