Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

What a shame that the pictures did not come out properly. You will just have to venture out there again. Were you able to get next to the bridge without trespassing? Could my RV make the trip?

What a shame that the pictures did not come out properly. You will just have to venture out there again. Were you able to get next to the bridge without trespassing? Could my RV make the trip?
My brother-in-law was with me and he took some pictures too.
We didn't go on the bridge but got pretty close, within a few feet. We could see the bridge bouncing as trains went over it. Maybe only a 1/2" or so but noticable. The canyon is much steeper than it looks in the pictures.
I didn't have any trouble getting out there in the Ford F-150 but it was more a rock road than dirt. It is very rough at best. Didn't drive over 5mph the whole 2 or 3 miles from the freeway. The RV would be a very rough, rock and roll drive and might bottom out if you were not carefull.

Ken, that bridge is amazing. So is your model.
Just for fun, I copied your puzzle photo into my photo editor and put it back together. Well, mostly, some of the color doesn't match.
Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, KEN ... sounds like a trip to take the tow car on - provided there is a place to park the RV where it would not be vandalized, or too visible in a site? Wish I were in better health, I would walk it; I got a hip that starts hurting after a mile of walking. :mad:

There is absolutely nothing near the Two Guns exit except low desert scrub bushes.
On the other hand, you might be able to park the RV in Winslow and use the tow car.

Last edited:
Movin right along on the bridge. I'm at the halfway point now for the sides of the bridge. When this is done, I'll apply decals to the bottom and top sides of the beams. I don't think I'll get it done this week. I'm heading out to Detroit for a few days this Friday till next week sometime.
At least I got started on this part.

How do they look? It's a little difficult for me to tell much about them ...
However, that is one awesome looking structure!

As the bridge structure is still plastic white, they really look crappy but I'm sure once I give it a weathered black paint job, they will look very good.
Here is a closer picture of the rivets. I haven't applied the setting solution yet that will meld these into the plastic surface.

0724192117b.jpg

Been a couple of weeks now since I worked on the rivets. A trip up into Michigan then had a guest here all of last week.
Got a few sections riveted yesterday. Been working on the bike and chasing down parts until this evening.
Should have some time tomorrow afternoon to get somemore rivets applied.

Back