PWMRC Layout Tour 2019 Video

Do your video at night with JUST the inside lights, so we are not distracted by the sun shining through the windows.

Enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting. I really enjoy your editing that shows where the train is on the layout. Well done as usual. Thumb up.gif

Do your video at night with JUST the inside lights, so we are not distracted by the sun shining through the windows.
I considered that when I saw how the sun was messing up the video, but my time schedule just wouldn't support it. It's almost an hour drive each way from home to the club layout.

Today, we will begin dismantling of this layout as we have been evicted by the owners of the building, the Virginia Rail Express (VRE). We began a lease on the building back in 2004 and built the layout as it is in the video. Now, the VRE has plans to refurbish the building into a larger waiting and service room for the VRE passengers. We don't have another building to move to so everything must be packed away and the remainder of the layout hauled to the landfill.
There is little likelihood that we would end up in another building of the same dimensions, so attempting to preserve the layout as is would be a wasted effort.

That's a real shame. Hopefully you can salvage as much as possible for future use.

Sure makes me glad that our club is part of the museum at the Northern Pacific depot.

Last edited:
Boy, that really stinks, Ken! The local club here in Lincoln, Ne. had quite a large layout located in the Industrial Arts building on the UNL campus. When UNL decided to open their "Innovation Campus", they got kicked out so the building could be re-purposed. They no longer have a permanent layout.
Perhaps your club could purchase a building, or maybe a plot of land and build one?

Building a club house would really be out of the question in northern Virginia. Just the property taxes themselves would drive us out let alone the cost of a new structure or even buying an existing building. We only have about 40 members and another 30 associates of some degree or another. An assessment wouldn't keep them around. We have to rely on good will and existing space.
The VRE station was originally built for Amtrak back in the 60s then sat vacant since 1968 until we got our lease to use it in 2003. Now VRE wants to refurbish it.
Our club president is talking to the boards of several surrounding cities and counties now. I think we will have a new space within a year. In the meantime we will only do our modular shows I will do more frequent op sessions on my layout.

The club layout is completely dismantled and packed into storage containers. A lot of benchwork went to the landfill. Still no place to start a rebuild.

Back