Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to stay up to watch the rocket take off but they delayed it till 2:30. I'm going to bed. Will be in the torture chair tomorrow-root canal.
So good night and pleasant dreams. Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

Heck- Another wine bottle with no Genie at the bottom. I'll keep looking.

To me this does not belong in a hobby forum; especially since there are youngsters among us...I'm no prude. But I don't like. It belongs in a Playboy or Penthouse mag, if they still exist; not here in the model train community.

And I object to your objection. You couldn't handle this privately? While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, I wonder that you felt it necessary to publicly pass judgment on a post that has been accepted and present in this forum for the better part of a month, and for which other, established, members have indicated their approval (as evidenced by the "like" symbol at the bottom of the post) while none of the rest apparently saw anything worth objection. This makes me question your motives (or judgment, in which case your opinion's validity is in turn questionable).

I did, btw, click on the link to try and see exactly what the problem might be, but the image in question has been deleted. Since I don't remember making the post (and I doubt many others, if any, can remember it either) I cannot say anything more specific about its context or content.

You mention Playboy and Penthouse, however; I therefore assume it had something to do with the female form. You also mention "youngsters." I haven't noticed any here. Not that there couldn't be, of course, but most of us here, myself included, are grandparents yet, as I observed earlier, no one else saw fit to complain.

Yes, the image has now been deleted by the administration or staff, but that's not necessarily indicative. Remember, yours was the apparent sole objection, which would seem to indicate that the administration and staff, themselves, didn't initially see a problem. Why they caved to a single voice at this late date is known only to them. I would suggest, however, that you are likely one of a very few who think that the image would somehow seriously scar any "youngster" old enough and computer-savvy enough to see it.

Changing the subject, slightly, you don't seem to be aware that this particular thread is for general conversation that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with model railroading. This is stated in the thread description on the home page. Folks here talk about a lot of things: trains and modeling, yes, but recent subjects have also included the weather (always the weather), personal and family health, mowing and not mowing the lawn, vacations and pretty much whatever else we want to talk about. It's a place for general discussion among friends. The stated rules only mention that things remain civil; politics and religion are generally frowned upon, but even they make occasional very brief appearances.

In sum, at least half of the topics of discussion in this part of the forum "do not belong in a hobby forum...in the model train community," yet here they are. I for one like it that way.

Berkeley-Breathed-Offended-T-Shirt-Design.jpg

Last edited:
Umm.. Good morning--I think. It's mostly clear and 68.

I packed the Lionel stuff back up in its boxes, and as soon as I find a spot to put them, they'll be stored until Thanksgiving. I don't want to put them in the attic or basement for obvious reasons.

Good morning gang! 75° and sunny, looking for a high of 91°!
Started back on a project last night, last details to install before touch up will be to install coupler lift bars, drilled 1 hole and then broke my last .020 drill bit!! I know my LHS has none because I bought their last on Saturday! With that I went upstairs and watched TV instead. I may order some from MicroMark later.

YEAH, BEADY , tell it like it is.
Good morning y'all. It's a cool 81* ,should get to 94* later and possible rain late p.m..
MOH taped the launch- and watched from our driveway. Looked HUGE in comparison to others.
Back later- things to do.
Phil

RETIRED- GOODBYE TENSION , HELLO PENSION.

OK, I have to chime in. I fully support Beady here. Someone else is being very overly sensitive.
...a post that has been accepted and present in this forum for the better part of a month, and for which other, established, members have indicated their approval (as evidenced by the "like" symbol at the bottom of the post) while none of the rest apparently saw anything worth objection.
Post was commented on and liked by several forum administrators who apparently had no problem with it.
Why they caved to a single voice at this late date is known only to them. I would suggest, however, that you are likely one of a very few who think that the image would somehow seriously scar any "youngster" old enough and computer-savvy enough to see it.
I wonder who deleted the original image, there was nothing whatsoever offensive about it. It is quite mild in comparison to many of Beady's posts.
I have an issue with an objection being raised and acted on more than three weeks after the original post.
Cartoons such as that were everyday entertainment for several decades when I was a kid. They may still be popular; I just don't watch anymore. I don't see where any youngster would be upset by this. Snidely Whiplash comes to mind and movies have been portraying the same actions since the early silent films.

My 2¢

Morning all,

Coffee, 2 eggs over hard, bacon and grits this morning. Dr. said my cholesterol is good so I'm not worried.

Not much on the trains last night. By the time I got home and ate supper, and picked both blue and black berries, it was getting late. The blue berries are about a week from being finished and the black berries are just getting started. I picked about a pound of each last night. I'm still behind on what it cost me to put in the blueberries, but man, do they taste so much betterer that the store bought ones. (intentional misspell) Reminds me of when I was kid and we lived next door to a 30 acre blueberry field. We played with their kids and had the run of the field when they weren't being picked and my parents (along with 5 kids) got to pick and freeze berries left after the mechanical picker ran through the field at the end of season.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 71°, weather forecasters have reduced the chance of thundershowers today and the rest of the month to near 0%. Oh well, they've missed most days one way or the other for the better part of the spring. Summer is easy, repeat "Hot and Dry" until October.
Just a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning Flo. Is that Francine over in the corner tying Beady to a table?
Went and got my triannual haircut yesterday. Made a stop at the "other" Walmart in Denton. Quite a different clientele than the one that is more convenient (next to Home Depot) for me. This one has older, less colorful and better behaved customers; not nearly as entertaining.

Thanks to all who either liked or commented on the gondolas and lodge; Johnny, Dave, Garry, Jerome, Patrick, Chet, Sherrel, Phil, Greg, Curt, Tom.
Here's a few more weathered covered hoppers, the first two are antique Athearn Blue Box kits, while the third is an Accurail kit. Like I previously posted, I mostly do light weathering.
ATSF 307173.JPG

ATSF 314901.JPG

Looks like that car may have visited the West Coast for it's graffiti.
ATSF 314246 - W.JPG

Trainwise yesterday, all that I did was run trains for about 90 minutes. Two out and back switching runs interspersed with a couple of through freights. Maybe modeling today.

Patrick - I wasn't aware that Goodwill had train stuff. Wish that I could help you with the blueberries and blackberries. Berrys just don't grow well for me.
Chet - Great pictures as usual.
Karl - I know the feeling regarding those .020" drill bits.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all, we are going to be flirting with 90 towards the end of the week, for the meantime 70's and mostly sunny.

Guessed I missed some of the drama last evening. I logged in about 5 but I guess I was early.

Phil-- hope your dentist appt goes well. Ironically, I had a tooth chip just 4 days before my one every 4 year checkup. Will be in the "chair" tomorrow when he digs in and decides if it warrants a little or lot of additional work.

Chet-- The blue pickup with the white top, a friend of mine had one just like it and I thought it was a Binder (international) but the taillights look like a chevrolet and looking at online images I am more confused. What make is it?

Willie-- more nice weathering jobs. BTW our grafitti matches what you call the west coast stuff. Minneapolis is one of the most liberal cities in the nation, would explain a lot of the nonsense here.

Todays photo is my Soo line box car. I don't know why I didn't have the whole thing in the photo. I think I was trying to get the rocks and also some of the sawmill and that would explain it.

I have been looking for another one or more of these, they must be uncommon. After viewing months on ebay have yet to find one for sale. It is one of those Walthers kits, with the tiny springs in the trucks.

sooline.jpg

more later, Dave

To me this does not belong in a hobby forum; especially since there are youngsters among us...I'm no prude. But I don't like. It belongs in a Playboy or Penthouse mag, if they still exist; not here in the model train community.

OK, I give up, what did I miss??

Good morning everyone. 64 and sunny out there. It gets up into the upper 80's, near 90 these days, but the nights are still cooling off very nicely - - we've slept with the windows open the last four nights. That will probably end pretty soon.

Willie, Chet, and Dave L&SM - - really nice photos you posted yesterday and this morning.

Ran trains for a little while last night, and did some painting on some structures.

My wife and I are having more and more serious conversations about retirement, particularly the timing of it. We both still work full time. I'm 71, but I like the work I do. No problems there. She likes her work all right, but it's tedious computer stuff. What we both want to avoid is getting bored after we retire. I would have my little woodworking shop, my trains, books to read - that plus hiking in the hills and occasional trips to the beach and I'm fine. She likes to cook, have family get-togethers, and work in the garden. Don't know if that's enough for her. We both want to travel around the US. She really wants to retire in East Texas, where much of her family lives. What's left of my family is all in the northeast, and I don't really want to retire there, even though I love Vermont, New Hampshire, and upstate NY. The winters would be too much for me any more up there. So the conversation continues. Will keep you all posted.

have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone. 64 and sunny out there. It gets up into the upper 80's, near 90 these days, but the nights are still cooling off very nicely - - we've slept with the windows open the last four nights. That will probably end pretty soon.

Willie, Chet, and Dave L&SM - - really nice photos you posted yesterday and this morning.

Ran trains for a little while last night, and did some painting on some structures.

My wife and I are having more and more serious conversations about retirement, particularly the timing of it. We both still work full time. I'm 71, but I like the work I do. No problems there. She likes her work all right, but it's tedious computer stuff. What we both want to avoid is getting bored after we retire. I would have my little woodworking shop, my trains, books to read - that plus hiking in the hills and occasional trips to the beach and I'm fine. She likes to cook, have family get-togethers, and work in the garden. Don't know if that's enough for her. We both want to travel around the US. She really wants to retire in East Texas, where much of her family lives. What's left of my family is all in the northeast, and I don't really want to retire there, even though I love Vermont, New Hampshire, and upstate NY. The winters would be too much for me any more up there. So the conversation continues. Will keep you all posted.

have a good day everyone.
My advice would be to get on the computer and do a little regional research on the cost of living, and real estate, and cross-reference it with availability of things like medical services (it's amazing how often you go to the doctor once you don't have to worry about using up your sick time). Also, the best thing I did in retirement planning was to maintain full medical and dental insurance, even when allowing for Medicare. Florida and southern California are overcrowded, imho; the Plains have tornados. I do like the Hill Country of SE Texas and the Southwest, generally; we might have moved there but for our mothers.

BTW, the single hardest part of retirement for me was learning to live with a drastically reduced income. Buy those trains now, while you can.

Someone didn't like the cartoon that was posted June 3. It was re-posted this morning in post #503.

OK, I see the humor in both, and I don't see anything worthy of Playboy or Penthouse. I've posted far racier pics of girls with trains before, and never heard a peep from the "peanut gallery", or the Gestapo. Why then now????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
FB_IMG_1515693425390.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning .....

Willie ....... Your weathering of covered hoppers looks real.

Dave LASM ..... Your scene is remarkable with the old Too Line boxcar and the rustic building behind it.

Johnny .... Regarding you and Dena retiring. .... I wonder why you would consider living your current beautiful location . Both of you are likable people, and I bet you have many good friends in MO. So, I wonder why you would wish to leave them. I have noticed when people move away, close friends eventually become "Christmas Card Friends" if you know what I mean. Since you like traveling, occasional trips to East Texas to visit Dena's family would be easy. ... No matter what you decide, I wish you the best.

Phil ..... I suppose, I'm late to wish you well for your root canal. So, I'll say I hope it went okay because if you see this, it will be afterwards.

I don't recall if I posted photos of my bakery (Stayle Bread Company) here before...... So here its is . I used Walthers Modulars to build it. .. . The silos are made from plastic drain pipe. (New. Not used. LOL ) .

36464213595_5ba66f085a_b.jpg

35669946502_eb2a61ff0d_b.jpg

I'm still working on a whimsical scene on my layout because grandkids will be visiting soon. Also, I am working on scenery around my coal mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back