Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 65°. I was getting tired of waking up to 80°+ temperatures so early in the day. We did have a thunderstorm come through last evening just before sunset that left .55" in the gauge. That ended our three day drought. I'll have some eggs over easy and sausage patties this morning Flo.
Resumed yard mowing yesterday, but only got about 1/3 acre done before the hydrostatic drive belt decided to kick the bucket. So I join Ken, Curt and Terry with mower woes! Thought that I had a spare, but I couldn't immediately locate it and I ordered another that will be here Tuesday. Fortunately it broke down under a tree, so I don't have to move it to attach the hoist. For now the tractor is just yard art. Spent the rest of the afternoon cutting down a thirty year old Ash tree that my son and I planted, one that he brought home from kindergarten on Arbor Day in 1989. I am suspecting Ash borers did it in. Looks like at least two weeks worth of firewood once I cut it all up.

Thanks for all of the comments and likes regarding yesterday's pictures/post; Phil, Chet, Jerome, Curt, Ken, Garry.
That Masonic Lodge was certainly a new experience, working with .060" cardstock and all of the layering to get the detailing of the structure. Will I do another one? If I find one that is suitable before I run out of room, the answer is yes. I don't see a lot of them available that I can use though.
I do have a few heavily weathered freight cars; gondolas normally didn't leave their home lines and were kept in service longer than other cars, plus they were generally mistreated. Here's an Athearn Blue Box kit with a homemade scrap load.
ATSF 16694.JPG

Then there is an empty 40' from Roundhouse.
ATSF 178262.JPG

These are among the earliest freight cars that I purchased over 35 years ago. They are still regular runners on my layout. Both have blackened metal wheelsets and Kadee couplers. Plans were to add metal grabs, but so far life has gotten in the way! The grabs reside in a detail drawer.

Nothing new to report from the train shed. I made a vain attempt at clearing off the workbench, although it was partially successful. I think that I located another non-rail structure that will work out on the peninsula project, today I'll be studying the dimensions to see.

Chet - Some fine photos and modeling work on display in Logan. That's got to be the cleanest town on the planet! Your trees are quite well done. I have to look harder in my area for some sagebrush to make tree armatures. We don't seem to have many varieties here.

Everybody have a great day.

God morning everyone. 68 and mostly clear. Pretty nice weekend just past. Had a garage sale Saturday morning - didn't make much, though - we live out in the country and didn't advertise in the paper - just put up signs. Sunday, was rainy almost all day. 1 1/2 inches in the gauge for the day! Saves on watering the garden and the grass, but will make for extra mowing this week.

Got some time in the train room - mostly to run trains for a while. But did get a little ground landscaping done. Have a couple of structure kits to put together for the second town - still have to come up with a name for it. Got to work on the lighting, too. So much to do, so little time - - - - -

Willie and Chet - some really nice photos. Nice work.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning, everybody ....

Willie ..... I like your weathered gondolas .... Gondolsa typically had sort lives because of damded caused by loading scrap metal into them .

Everybody ..... Here is a video you might enjoy . It is the Milwaukee Road electrified line in Montana. Video was recoded in the final four days of electrification before it was 100% diesel. The "Little Joe" electric locomotives were MU'ed with diesels.

With my layout, I am working on some scenery. I also am working on a whimsical scene (Grandkids will be visiting soon.)

Good morning all, 63 and cloudy.

Looks like more rain forecast for this afternoon. Had rain pretty much all afternoon and most of the night, maybe trying to catch up with some of the other guys in here.

Willie-- The masonic lodge project turned out very well, waiting to see how the details and final view will look.

Chet-- the town of Logan scenes are excellent

Curt-- you really showed off your skills with that brake light fix. Also got lucky with the officer. Aside from the switch going wrong in the first place, you came out of it pretty well

THANKS for the likes and comments on the latest photo.

Here is a signature photo from the old layout, shows off a large area. I am sure this one or one like it was posted previously, however I did regularly shift the cars around so if you look something may be different.

Some of my older less detailed freight cars became storage buildings, as in the M StL box cars sans trucks between tracks in the foreground:

a final view 001.JPG

I realize this photo was taken the same time as one a couple days back. with the two NP locomotives head on, From this angle they are side by side, shown in the back near the fuel shed.

more later, Dave

Good morning. Woke up to rain and 48 degrees, but now the sun is coming out. Yesterday the wife picked up some plants to put in barrels which I hope to get planted later today if it warms up.

I appreciate the comments on my collection of pre 1958 vehicles. I have nothing newer than 1957 which is the year that I am modeling. I have been working on the collection for around 30 years trying to get the most accurate vehicle I can find.

Greg - Interesting photo of those buildings. Perfect example of Downtown Art Deco buildings. Nice weathering on the ore cars.

Willie - Fantastic job on the weathering on the Gondolas. Yes, the town is clean. The residents take pride of their town. I went through the tractor woes last year. I rebuilt the mowing deck as my grandson was mowing for a few years and a couple of the mandrels needed replacing and the hydrostatic drive belt also needed replacing. That job was a major pain in the butt but needed to be done or I wouldn't have been able to plow snow in the winter. Ran out of colorful words and knuckles doing that job.

Garry
- I have seen that video a number of times. It brings back many good memories as I have ridden between Harlowtown and Deer Lodge numerous times. The Sixteen Mile Canyon was probably my favorite part of the trip.

Dave - Another great photo. Still can't get over that backdrop.

Here are a few more photos of Logan. The Walthers Cannery building is what I used for my potato warehouse. The boiler house part of the kit I used for the roundhouse.

thumbnail_20190622_125751.jpg

Here ar e a couple of mechanics servicing an old Ford woodie station wagon.

thumbnail_20190622_125605.jpg

Here the RCD is preparing to leave the station.

thumbnail_20190622_124917.jpg

Later

Morning all,

What a weekend!

Got home to 99 degree heat on Friday and my son already had the backyard mowed and trimmed. Way to hot for me to do the front, so I waited until Saturday morning. Rain Friday night slowed that down a little, but it got done. Then I took the grandson to a train show, where I bought a lightbox poster (about 12" square) of the Empire Builder. He now wants a n-scale train set...

We had the grand kids overnight Saturday and had very severe thunderstorms (tornadoes indicated by radar) and called the local kids to get to shelter at our house at 5:10 am. Of course I was telling the wife we weren't going to get hit and 10 minutes after everyone was in the basement, I was headed upstairs when the wife hollered to get back down here when they announced the tornado warning in our county had been canceled.

Got the box of stuff from Goodwill Friday night and was able to inventory it last night.
20190623_153727.jpg
15 ft of cork roadbed (the 5 pieces are in the bottom of my cork box to get straightened out)
5 Blue box Amtrak cars
1 Blue box Santa Fe SD40
3 Bachman cars
2 Model Power cars (a box car and a open car hauler with cars)
1 Model Power engine (not yet tested)
1 open trestle (pile in front)
2 boxes of rail Joiners
1 overtrack light bridge

Not bad for $30. The SD40 does run pretty well. It had a wheel that I was able to get a dent out of. The details appear to be still in the bag with it. I do need to work with the wheels to get it to run a little smoother. The shell is off of it at this time. I'm not sure of how old it really is, but runs the same in either direction.

I am now kicking myself for letting a lot of 30 blue box cars go for about $4 each in an online auction. They were $10-$13 each at the train show.

On the train side. I redid the approaches to my lift bridge. Made them a little more square and easier to work the lift bridge. I think once I get the landscaping in, it will solve some of the movement I have in the track.

Chet, just noting the dark green 49'er coupe in the bottom pic. I remember the first sedan I saw of this shape. Was driven by the boss of the company in NZ my father worked for. A rare US car at that time. We missed out on new US cars between '39-'45, reappearing again in '46. I never saw a '49 coupe though, although there were '46-'48's including club coupes. No convertibles or station wagons either. You had to be a producer of export goods (that meant a farmer in those days) to be able to use your "overseas funds" in order to buy any new car in under anything less than 3 years then. I did actually buy a '42 Ford "house" (sedan) when I was 19 and overhauled the motor (rings and bearings), but the rust in the body beat me. I figured it had been a US Navy staff car that had been left behind (Jeeps were the most sought after) when they departed.

Chet, Willie, Garry, and Dave! Simply Outstanding photos - I had not seen many of those before!
Garry - Liked the Milwaukee movie ... great scenes.

The Newport boys and parents left to head home shortly after the second game yesterday. They won their division championship - won all four games that they played here! Trevor (their father) was the team coach -- he was beaming ear to ear when he was awarded the 1st place medallion and the team members all received their individual trophies. The rest of us didn't even win a participation trophy?
Parents and other two kids will head to Lego Land this morning- Mom and I will probably not even "hit a lick at a snake" today .. it's called an adult "time-out"!

Supposed to be 83* today with the normal clear skies. Normal this date is 88* - last year was 82* and the record was 93* in 2006.
Have a great day all!

Good late morning all .
Already 88* at 10:30. Gonna be another HOT one . Rain, maybe, later. Air is so thick can hardly breathe.
GARRY- Thanks for the video .
Need to trim more branches but to darn hot.
Prayers for all,
Phil

Daffynition- "CAMPING-WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Good Morning Everyone....over cast and rain forecasted for later today.

This is the first full day home from the cabin and I need to do some things on the computer then down to the trains for a couple of hours.

Lots of catching up to do on the Forum after being gone for 10 days.

Flip: I like your comments regarding camping. I have camped many years ago and once started a motorcycle trip after watching Easy Rider. The one thing that amazes me is how the campground operators can pack so many campers in such small areas. Seems like camping has become a real social activity.

Some great photos everyone.

Willie: I like beat up gondolas and I have several that are ready for the junk yard. They are so easy to weather using just Pan Pastels and add interest to a train or even parked on a siding.

Rock Island Con - One.jpg
The Rock Island was a $5.00 car from a swap meet and the top cons were both under $4.00 and then I weathered the cars.

I couldn't find some photos of my really beat up gondolas...sorry.

One day trip from the cabin is to find a junk yard that scraps old railroad rolling stock. I like to get some pictures. The last time I passed it the yard there were cabooses and box cars being cut up.

Have to run.

Greg

###########################

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Got up this morning not feeling right, so I went back to bed for a couple of hours then had a bowl of chicken soup and I feel better now but still tired. Nothing done in the train room today. Last night I had a strange event. I was getting ready to go to bed and I looked down on the floor and there was a small sheet of cardboard NBW's from the kit. It must of fell on my clothes and stuck until I got to the living room hours earlier.o_O

Greg- Nice layout photos and rail cars.

Willie- They would look good as MOW gondolas.

Garry- Nice videos.

Dave- Nice layout scene. It wasn't anything difficult, I unplugged the old component and then put the new one in. The only difficulty was body positioning and heat.

Chet- Great layout shots and vehicles.

Patrick- Sounds scary but I'm glad everyone made it through without issue. Nice haul at the train show.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ....

I'm glad some of you liked the MILW video . ....

Chet .... I'm not surprised you saw it before.

Here is another ....

milwaukee road electric video

Dave .... Nice photo of your freight cars.

Greg .... The weathered gondolas look great.

I have a number of these videos but unfortunately some are on VHS tape and I have no way to play them now. May have to replace them with discs.

Good Afternoon Everyone....off and on rain and thunderstorms.

I love thunderstorm when I'm at the cabin. I open the front and rear sliding doors and listen to the rain falling from the tall pines and hearing the thunder or even better a thunderstorm at night with lighting. So relaxing for me. o_O

The truck was covered with yellow White Pine pollen and when the pines are at their pollen sheading peak the truck will turn yellow so I left the truck out in the rain and all the pollen washed off the vehicle saving me the price of a car wash.

Never made down stairs today, maybe tomorrow after early morning tests at the hospital and taking the wife for pizza and garlic bread.

Chet: There are a number of companies that will convert your VHS tapes to CD's. I have several older VCR's that I keep to play older Allen Keller model railroading tapes since the VCR's are no longer manufactured. The quality of the VCR's are not up to that of a CD, but I enjoy watching Allen's tapes.

Willie: We have the Emerald Ash Borer problem in Wisconsin and we have a beautiful Marshall seedless ash in our front yard and every spring we have it treated by a landscape company to protect it against the borers. Most of the ash trees in the neighborhood have either died or have the bug. A neighbor's tree right next to ours has the borer and 50% of their tree is dead.

Patrick: Nice haul from Good Will!!!

That's all for now.....

Greg

########################

Old Vehicle Prices 001.jpg

The Mrs found this old 1936 classified section of the local paper in her late mother's items. Interesting auto prices....-Greg

I have a number of these videos but unfortunately some are on VHS tape and I have no way to play them now. May have to replace them with discs.
Chet, if they are not easily found on disc, I have a solution.
Once upon a time, I had a massive collection of VHS railroad videos. I then got a DVD burner, and connected it to the VHS machine's output plugs. I record the tape onto the disc, now I have them on disc.
Now, in the newest iteration, I am copying the discs onto a 2tb external hard drive.
So, as long as the tape is not write-protected, I can copy and save it to disc, then onto a hard drive, if I want to go that far.

Once upon a time, I had a massive collection of VHS railroad videos. I then got a DVD burner, and connected it to the VHS machine's output plugs. I record the tape onto the disc, now I have them on disc.
Now, in the newest iteration, I am copying the discs onto a 2tb external hard drive.

I must have been born in a different century ... how the blazes do you find the time to do all this "stuff"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back