Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, 64 and cloudy. Guess we had a downpour last night, I slept right through it

Willie-- you sure have a collection of taverns! Nice

Terry-- really something about the lawn mower. When it rains, it pours.

Johnny-- I like the locomotive building

Mark-- nice sailboat

I was up north at our land for 2 nights, had some owl hoot about 12 pm must have been right on top of me! Woke me up. Did some mowing with push and rider, also some chainsawing.

Here is today's layout photo:

freight shed.jpg.JPG

This is a different angle of the freight shed. I did a whole large area around these loading docks with sheet rock compound, blackened some for asphalt, left the rest cement.

Have a great day, Dave

Ray, if you want those ditch lights and the seller won't ship to Australia, there's always plan B. You can Paypal the money to me, I can buy them, get them shipped to me, and forward them via our shipping station to you.

Willie, the reason it continues to get hotter when the days are getting shorter is due to the Earth's orbit continuing to approach the Sun even though the axial tilt moves the Northern hemisphere away.

Willie, the reason it continues to get hotter when the days are getting shorter is due to the Earth's orbit continuing to approach the Sun even though the axial tilt moves the Northern hemisphere away.

Really, TERRY.... If you try and tell me that it gets colder when the earth moves to the dark side of the sun ...
I don't think I will believe you!

Good afternoon. 88*F and sunny in central MD, t-storms have hit us yet but they're on the way.

Thanks everybody for the 'likes' and comments. Don't have time to name any names since I'm at the office now.

Mark - condolences on having to sell your sailboat. Seeing it brings back fond memories of when I used to go sailing with my Dad in a 16ft Rebel on Lake St Clair. There was still quite a lot of lakeboat traffic back in those days, and I got to see several of them up-close-and-personal. That's one of the reasons I wanted to include a lakeboat scene on my layout.

Afternoon All,

Today is our 41st wedding anniversary. We're not doing anything tonight because of how my mouth feels which thankfully will be fixed at the dental surgeon tomorrow morning. It's kind of appropriate, a couple of days before our wedding I developed an impacted wisdom tooth that was fixed the day after our wedding...Deja vu? Thursday we're driving down to Ft. Myers (3 hour drive) to visit with some of Kathy's cousins on vacation that she hasn't seen for years. I thought we were staying Thursday and Friday night, but the boss says it's only Thursday night. I ordered the battleship gun barrel load from AMB for the flat cars I've been working on with the gift card my son gave me yesterday.:D

Mark- Good luck with the boat sale.

Patrick- Have you checked if the problem track is level? I have had issues with this especially with steamers.

Willie- Nice buildings.

Chet- Thanks for the info on the arch. I was wondering if it was modeled after 1:1 life.

Johnny- Nice lighting in and around the engine house. I used to have that building until I accidently knocked it off the layout breaking it into several pieces.:oops:

I hope everyone has a good night. I'll see you all Wednesday.

Last edited:
Patrick- Have you checked if the problem track is level? I have had issues with this especially with steamers.

It is something I'm working through I have one side nearly perfect and am still getting the other. I know I have a slight bump when I run my fingers on the rails. What I did do over the weekend was make it easier to remove the bridge as I kept hanging up when removing the bridge. I got my connectors today at Radio Shack (we still have a dealer in the city I work in), so I should have the piece completed soon as well.

Happy Anniversary Curt. Hope it's a memorable one. Mine might have been, but I don't remember it six years ago! Have a pain-free visit to the oral surgeon tomorrow.

Howdy ....

Mark ..... Nice boat. .... We're happy with our boat, a pontoon type.

Chet .... Roosevelt Arch looks impressive.

Dave LASM .... The photo of the freight house looks great.

Willie ..... If I want to go bar hopping, I know whose layout to visit..... Today's photos are very nice.

Ken IB .... Nice to see you. Been thinking you were having surgery. I guess I lost track of when.

Patrick .... Remarkable you still have a Radio Shack in your area. .Most of their stores closed.

Toot ..... Nice picture of MRL 703.

Here is a photo of a rural scene.

35966994554_5429a6d3da_b.jpg

Cutting this short as t/s due . Was on earlier when t/s started, got as far as CURTS post, got off and called him.
His good news is great . My good news is my oncologist doesn't want to see me till next JUNE. I don't blame him , this old face can scare anyone. Heck, ask CURT.
Thanks to all for posting all the pictures and for the jokes.
Prayers and Blessings goodnight,
Phil

... Ken IB .... Nice to see you. Been thinking you were having surgery. I guess I lost track of when. ...
Thanks Garry! I have a "consult" with the surgeon at Hopkins tomorrow at 10am. I should have a clearer idea about the timing of the surgery after that; hopefully within the next 30 days...[?]

Sherrel, the phone plan is called Magenta 55 plus.
As for the television situation, there are many stations you can get over-the-air with a basic outside antenna.
Does that 55+ plan require both of you to be quintagenarians? I’ll be hitting that plateau in a few years, but the wife is significantly younger than I.

Willie- Been busy with my parents in and out of the hositial the last few weeks. My brother and I been trading on and off keeping the grass cut there at their house. All is good now just mostly getting their meds adjusted. The rain here has made it a challenge to keep up with stuff. Only thing new in the train world is a SD40-3 from Scale Trains and a Chessie transfer caboose from Bluford shops.

Ray, if you want those ditch lights and the seller won't ship to Australia, there's always plan B. You can Paypal the money to me, I can buy them, get them shipped to me, and forward them via our shipping station to you.
Thanks. I had thought of hitting you up for that;). I got a quick reply from him, which was good. He said that he didn't ship international, but they were available from Shapeways and they did. He also gave me the link and a reference to what he said were lenses to suit, Detail Associates' LT 1013. I found them at Walthers, but they were instead similar ditch light housings without holes through them or included clear lenses. Found via Google that D.A. makes 2 types, LT 1017 early EMD and late EMD (post GP30) LT 1019, which are in stock at Walthers.

On the Shapeways site https://www.shapeways.com/product/F...itch-lights-w-insert-sleeve?optionId=70921821 it gives the size for lenses as .085. The LT 1019's are said to be .080. That page also gives an ebay link, which happens to be the one you first posted, and I see it's now sold out. Walthers too were out of stock, resupply unknown. I'll contact Shapeways direct and inquire as to whether they have any in stock, or when expected. In the meantime, I'll drill some shallow .080 holes into plastic and experiment with different clear setting materials in order to try making lenses that could be done in-situ

My plan is to drill holes through the plastic pilot on the loco, (3/32" they state for the stem) with the hope they will line up on the chassis face in a place that is suitable to penetrate that block, so that the ditch light stem can be shortened and glued into it, so it's flush with the back of the pilot, thereby making it able to be lifted off. Then small SMD's can be inserted into the drilled chassis holes, so they are behind the lenses and fixed in place. Should then be able to feed the wires up and attach to the decoder.

P.S. Guess what came up this afternoon in my ebay MRL search? That's right, another SD35 #702, the number I thought I was getting in the first place. This one is a "gold" series, NIB, therefore with sound (although it doesn't say so and there's only 2 photos), different seller, with a price of US$260.

Good morning. It's raining and 69.
We had 3"+ of rain overnight from strong thunderstorms that rolled through starting at about 8:30. There is an areal flood advisory and flash flood watch until 9:00 tomorrow.
I picked up the new, new tractor last night, and arrived home with it just in time for the deluge to begin. By the time I got everything inside and everything put up for the night, I was essentially drenched. The lightning helped me see what I was doing outside... After I got done, one of the bags of my wife's dialysis fluid had sprung a leak, soaking the bed and bedroom floor. After I got that cleaned up, I had to clean up the floor in the living room where the dog panicked over the thunder and lightning, and peed on the floor. After all that, I took a shower and gave up for the night.

Have a great morning everyone, it's 55 and supposed to be mostly cloudy today, unlike yesterday which was supposed to be mostly Cloudy and ended up cloudy! Bit of a Bich here, we've gone through a very tough winter ahd have gotten into a colder than normal spring. We've only had two days that have gotten up to the 80s. I think that DaveLASM who is from the Twin Cities has had a tough winter; but, a much better spring than we have. We met some folks who came to the Marina Campgrounds from there who wondered how warm it's been, that they had brought clothes for warm weather and we had to tell them it's been cold, so far.

I'm actually going to go down in the basement today to mess with trains! Other than reading about them, I haven't done much about them lately, what with prepping the boat for sailing and selling! Have a good'n!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back