Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's High: 83°F 2:32 PM, ...Last year 91F, ...Record 95°F 2007

Cooled down considerably - Have not heard the A/C run at all today - and there is a nice breeze.

Rescued one of my laptop's and the wife's MAC air whatever from the Geeks. They took less than 24 hours to "shape" them both up. Wife had 9 viruses - I only had 4 this go around. I pay them $108 a year - covers three computers, and they repair anything wrong - parts are extra. Oh yeah - that also covers the anti-virus software for the year too, but if I have anti-virus why do I have viruses? I will never understand computers. I try and get them in at least once a year.

This HP one I am using at this moment needs to go in next. I cannot get the "BOLD" to go off?
I will never understand computers.
I have a 7(?)-year-old Toshiba that stopped charging the battery. Bought a Universal Power Supply for it and I treat it like a desk-top. Really, I hardly ever use it anymore. I bought it mainly for gaming, but i haven't played a computer game in years. I almost never touch my tablet, either. Everything I do is done on my phone: word processing, internet, printing, whatever. I pay an annual fee to Norton for all three of them, but haven't run across any malware in what seems like forever.

Good Morning Everyone.....raining here.

Ken:
I started using spreadsheets to keep track of rolling stock and a separate sheet for locomotives. I did that after buying a C&NW locomotive at a swap meet that I already had at home. I can use the sheets to track maintenance as well.

Patrick: I used Code 70 or 55 as guard rails on a wooden trestle I built years ago. They worked great and I installed them using Walthers' GOO.

Chet:
Great photos as always and the club running looks like fun.

Truck is loaded and I have to run.....!

See ya.

Greg

YAY !!! The Geeks installed a spell check on the ASUS - now I do not have to load WP in order to check my spelling!
It's supposed to be 76 high today (normal is 83) ... was 98 last year and record 98 in 2018!
It has been 18 days since our last measurable precipitation.

Waiting on patio people to come and install inserts in cover joists so the electrician can finish hanging up fans and lights.
This project has been going on for a year - mostly our fault along with additional screw ups via the contractor.

Last edited:
Good afternoon.

Thanks everybody for all the "likes" and positive comments on the photos I posted yesterday! I saw that when Terry made his well-intentioned delete of the redundant attachment thumbnail at the bottom, it also wiped-out the regular image...oops! I've re-inserted it now for anybody who missed it. Post# 271 It's nothing exciting, just a close-up of a piece of the Corrugated Evergreen that I'm using.

IBKen - Glad to hear that you found a way to recover the photo from your phone. Can't understand why yu can email them. I have a Samsung S-8 and have no problem emailing my photos. Looking forward to see the progress on the area in your photo. ...

That's a good question Chet, I was using Samsung Email with no problems whatsoever during the past 3 years, until it acted weird on Wednesday night. To me, the USB method seems alot more straightforward.

YAY !!! The Geeks installed a spell check on the ASUS - now I do not have to load WP in order to check my spelling! ...

Sherrel, I too have an ASUS laptop and a Geek account including Webroot. I've been pretty lucky up to now, never had any successful penetrations by malware and I only had to bring it in once a few weeks ago when it had overheated and spontaneously shut down. A purpose-designed ~$30 fan platform for laptops solved that problem!

Gotta go spend some quality time with MOH, see you all later!

Evening All,

Had a great time at Jon's (with Phil of course). I dropped off another paint and decal project then did OJT with Jon on changing CV's on a programming track with a Digitrax 402D throttle. After getting home I went through all my diesels and recording the values for CV 2,3,4,129,130,131. I made several changes also. Tomorrow after chores I hope to do my steam locos. I have to do this now because I probably won't remember how in a montho_O.

Justin- More nice coal pictures.

Ken- That will be a nice looking area when complete.

Dave- Great depth of field on that photo.

Chet- More great club photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon.

Thanks everybody for all the "likes" and positive comments on the photos I posted yesterday! I saw that when Terry made his well-intentioned delete of the redundant attachment thumbnail at the bottom, it also wiped-out the regular image...oops! I've re-inserted it now for anybody who missed it.
Whoops. Sorry... At least the thumbnail is gone... :/

Whoops. Sorry... At least the thumbnail is gone... :/

No. No, it's not.

20190614_214454.jpg

Had a fun day watching the PROFESSOR [ JON ] teaching his prize PUPIL [ CURT ] going thru all the CV settings . WOW!
Horn , brakes, momentum , speed etc.. Looks like CURT has it down pat.
We both got to our homes before the rain hit.
Wish all a goodnight.
Prayers and Blessings for all.
Phil

Iron Belt KEN, Lemme see? It is my understanding that photos here do NOT need to be re-sized anymore - the Forum Software does that automatically?
I was going to ask Terry how he did that because everytime I have tried to "ditch" the Thumbnail - the big picture goes away too!
What I have noticed is that if you "copy" the picture and then "paste" (see pic below) - it does not come with the thumbnail, but if you use the "attachment" function - then you get the thumbnail.

1560573078604.png

Going to the club tomorrow (Sunday), so I thought I'd do a quickie weathering of one of my MRL bluebox/RTR transition box cars. 3-4 coats of the "frosted glass" lacquer to dull it and give a key for the pastels, a bit heavier along the bottom (straight from the rattle can), rub off a bit on the upper surfaces with a foam eraser, then dark brown and rust red pastels applied with a semi-soft brush while there was still a little bit of tack in the paint. A very light coat of Testor's dull coat, which did reduce the pastels slightly, so apply a bit more to compensate.
IMG_6132.JPG
IMG_6133.JPG

This is also doing double duty as a test bed for the SD35, I probably will do another 1 or 2 of these to try and get that streaky effect. I was hoping to fit working ditch lights to it, but the way the chassis is formed at the front is quite bulky, right behind where they are mounted on the face of the pilot. I may have to settle for dummy's. Got to find out who makes them yet, too.
1560597335273.png

This is also doing double duty as a test bed for the SD35, I probably will do another 1 or 2 of these to try and get that streaky effect. I was hoping to fit working ditch lights to it, but the way the chassis is formed at the front is quite bulky, right behind where they are mounted on the face of the pilot. I may have to settle for dummy's. Got to find out who makes them yet, too.
View attachment 37333
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pr-ditch...824798?hash=item4d827eb91e:g:DRwAAOSw~gZcdbbZ

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 54.
I'm going to have to mow the lawn today, before it starts raining again. Otherwise, I'm going to have to get a hay baler...

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 73°, should reach 94° later today. Only made it to 89° yesterday. Forecast for tomorrow has been changed, drastically. The weather geeks are now calling for a high of 82° with scattered thundershowers.
Where is everyone this morning Flo? I'll take two eggs over easy and a handful of bacon this morning.
Resumed the task of mowing the SFW estate yesterday, finished the east and north sides of the yard. Today I revisit the south and then it will be a few days before I start the cycle over again. Continued with the early summer task of cutting and stacking next winters firewood. Had to take an Advil this morning for the lingering aches.

Thanks Patrick, Dave, Sherrel, Chet, Justin, Phil, Jerome, for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the City Hall pictures.
I have a few bars/lounges for my little people to hang out at. Marvin's Hi-Ball is a DPM kit called Goodfellows Hall. You might remember this picture from a project about a year ago.
05-10-18 007.JPG

Murphy's Bar is also a DPM kit called Skip's Chicken & Ribs. It has a home that I haven't developed yet. It will include a beer garden overlooking two different tracks for railfans. It's tentatively on the project schedule for fall of 2020, although that could easily change (forward or back).
04-27-18 005.JPG

Meanwhile out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly only continued with the scenery around the fertilizer distributor in my peninsula project, before embarking on two switching runs. The first involved switching out all of the cars at all of the industries in the project. No problems encountered as I had already tested all of the track in the past. The newly installed grade crossing was not an issue either. For the other job, I switched out all sixteen tank cars at the imaginary ethanol processing plant. No work on the Masonic Lodge yesterday, it's taking a breather. I did clear a few more partially painted Preiser figures off the workbench. I'm looking through the stockpile of people for some suitable ones to begin adding to the industrial district.

Sherrel -
but if I have anti-virus why do I have viruses?
Good question!:confused:
Patrick - Congratulations on the blueberries. Good to know there is another "gardener" here in the Coffee Shop. We have a couple of others. I have been an avid organic gardener for 45 years now. Haven't been successful with blueberries though. A couple of other "acid soil" tricks include sphagnum peat moss, fresh coffee grounds, cottonseed meal and diluted vinegar. I have used all of these in various combinations over the years for potatoes, which also require acid soil.
Dave - Not a really big deal about the broken parts, sometimes I just need to back away for a while. I used to use a simple spreadsheet to keep track of freight cars, but I switched over to a real inventory program to keep track of 800± freight cars. It includes a maintenance log for each car as well.
Chet - Thanks for the award. At least I didn't have to go anywhere to get it. Acetone debonds CA glue and that's exactly what Testor's Liquid Cement is.
Ray - Nice weathering on the boxcar.

Everybody have a wonderful day and an awesome weekend, especially Sherrel who is home alone. Be sure to clean up after the party. One night of partying equals two days of recovery any more.

Last edited:
Good morning. Should be another nice day hopefully without any thunder showers. Every time it dried out enough to mow yesterday, along came another shower. Going to giver it another try today.

IBKen - I am wondering if the Samsung email may be the problem. I have been using hotmail for over 20 years plus I had a business email and gmail and no problems with any of them. I have had a number of problems occur after an update is installed. At least now you can download photos.

Sherrel - Really like that photo.Nice

Ray - Beautiful job on the MRL box car. Well done.

Willie - More great buildings. Waiting to see what you come up with next.

Terry - I know what you're talking about. If I don't get my mowing done soon, I'll have a hay field too.

Here are some close up photos of the Gardiner area on the club layout. As I mentioned before, many were scratch build using photos from the Museum of the Rockies. Some of them are still standing in Gardiner today if you know where to look.

thumbnail_20190613_150225.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150159.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150152.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150138.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150126.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150118.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150106.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150053.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150045.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_145935.jpg

I think it may have dried up enough to start mowing.

Later

Chet -- I really hope that someday I will get to see that layout!
Those photos are marvelous and show so much detail that it is difficult to absorb at one time.

Willie -- The "bar" has been set - lol!

Good afternoon.
We're in the process of, among other things, cutting the cable cord for television. We have a Fire stick, and accounts with Prime Video and Netflix. Wednesday, we dumped AT&T for our cell service, and went with T Mobile. T Mobile offers a 55+ service, with unlimited talk, text, data, and they will pay our Netflix bill, for $90 a month for two lines, including fees and tax.
In th eprocess, we're going to turn off our DirecTV service, and use internet shows and an antenna for over the air broadcasts. The main TV in the living room is a smart TV, so it should be a simple thing to add the apps for the various sources, right? Wrong. LG only has a handful of apps available, and the only two that are supported are Netflix and Prime Video. While both of those are good things, there are another dozen sources we want to use to stream programming. My initial solution was to use the Fire Stick from the bedroom TV. That would have worked, except the living room TV doesn't have enough HDMI connections for this. I went to our local big box electronis store, prepared to suck it up and get a new TV with enough HDMI connections, but lo and behold, they offer an HDMI selector, which I can connect up to 4 devices into, and it will output that device though the single HDMI connection available. So, instead of paying $359 for a new TV, I paid $26.99 for the selector, which is currently connected to everything, and functioning as expected. I'm excited about not having to spend $$$ to save $$$ for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back