Do you model the transition?

N

NP2626

The modeling press here in the Untied States seems to feel that the Transition Era (Steam to diesel era) is the most popular. I'm of the opinion that the modern era has superseded the transition, in popularity. I certainly might be completely wrong. However, I don't see steam engines being as popular as they used to be. Like any questions posed in Model Railroading forums today, nothing of any real substance can be gleaned from the information you give. In other words, no hard evidence of things being one way; or, another can be determined. The question is simply asked to allow us to give an opinion.

Thanks for your time!

My goal is the postwar Steam to Diesel era. I like being able to have both types of motive power on my rails. But then I'm technically a boomer and at least have a couple of memories of my younger days riding the train (before Amtrak). The C&O from Grand Rapids to Detroit to my grandmother's house when my youngest sister was born (late 1965). I also recall seeing a lot of the E and F units sitting in a rail yard outside the Detroit metro area waiting on being scrapped in the later 60's and early 70's.

As I got older and saw the complexities of steam, I really learned to appreciate what we accomplished with what is basically a simple machine.
I know a steam locomotive has a lot of parts, but by simple, I mean the use of steam pressure moving a piston to accomplish some action.

I can see the diesel only possibly being more popular as that's what most of the population has seen and grown up with. I see something similar at car shows. You are more likely to see older cars driven by older folks as that has a different meaning to them than to the younger crowd. You gravitate to what you knew when you were young.

"You are more likely to see older cars driven by older folks as that has a different meaning to them than to the younger crowd. You gravitate to what you knew when you were young." - Patrick

Patrick: Do you mean that some day in the future people will see retired guys in their late 60's driving souped up Toyota Prius automobiles?

Bring back my '65 Mustang.

Greg

Seriously, I don't model the transition period even I lived through the end of that period and remember steam locomotives. I like the era between mid 70's to the mid 90's. But, I have older equipment that I run when I feel like it and use cabooses for sure. My sound equipped 80T Shay is used on special occasions.

I'm not fussy about being strict about what ran when and most visitors only know the difference between a caboose from an engine anyway.

Last edited:
Can't soup up a Prius, but yes, something like that. I've noticed that the 60's and early 70's muscle cars are owned mostly by younger baby boomers, while kids in the next generation are buying the newer stuff. And yes, I'd love a '65 mustang. I think it has a lot to do with what you grew up with and around. Not saying there aren't exceptions....

I was awfully young at the end of the transition, but remember some of the 60's and all the 70's....

Absolutely. Having grown up with seeing both steam and diesel in service, it was a no brainer for me. I enjoy modeling what I saw in service when I was a kid. Unfortunately, when I started my layout over 30 years ago, I couldn't afford the brass models that were outstanding. Now that I can afford the prices of 30 years ago, many of the locomotives are no longer avail or priced so high that I still can't afford them.

Greg, by the way, in 1965 I bought a new Corvette, for $5,800. Wouldn't make a decent down payment today.

I agree on the age/modeled era differances. I grew up with a local grain hauling shortline, using former BN and NW first gen diesels. Only steam I saw was in excursion service and this is how I model steam on my railway. Helping a dealer at many shows, I can say that the bulk of the younger generation of modelers are modeling what they see current day. And depending on where they live, they may have never seen a steam locomotive other than on youtube or someone elses layout. I love steam, I have real live steam locomotives in G scale. But when it comes to HO scale, I am drawn to the grain hauling shortline theme that I grew up with and rode in the cab many times with. But as with everything in life, there are exceptions. The local club I belonged to was originally transition era. But as the older members passed or could no longer attend, we discovered there was little attraction to the younger generation that wanted to run double stacks and modern diesels. Once we opened it up to any era equipment, the membership grew for many years and kept the club going much longer than it might have originally. We would do theme weeks or theme month where it would be nothing but steam, or transition, then up to 1st/2nd gen diesels and so forth. we had enough rolling stock that we could put the modern stuff on the shelf tracks and bring out the older rolling stock. Mike the Aspie

I can just barely remember Steam locos plying the main; but, I guess they made enough of a difference for me that I would never model without them! What I do remember is train after train of almost nothing; but, Tuscan colored Box Cars being hauled by mostly F-units; or, Geeps and the little-short wood Northern Pacific Cabeeses. In 1953, the year I model, I would have only been three years old. The fact that I model a time that I can't really remember, pays omagh to the last days of the mighty steam locomotive in mainline service!

I model a time just after the transition. I remember that quite well, so I have an abandoned rail line in existence and use old e units and f units in passenger and freight service as well as other newer units. Works for me.

As the older guys age out, the timeline will move forward. I think in most cases people model what they remember seeing. I model the steam side of the transition, though I just barely remember some steam. The industry is responding as well. Companies like Tangent and Scale Trains are offering more modern models.

I have little interest in steam, although I do recall active steam while growing up. I model 1966 -1968 which was a period when larger freight cars and newer designs were introduced, as well as the gradual phase out of first generation diesel power, and introduction of newer power. There is still room for wood side box cars, coupled to modern freight cars, that lasted to the turn of the new century.

Boris

As the older guys age out, the timeline will move forward. I think in most cases people model what they remember seeing. I model the steam side of the transition, though I just barely remember some steam. The industry is responding as well. Companies like Tangent and Scale Trains are offering more modern models.

Espeefan, what does AGE OUT mean?

"Do you model the transition?" No. Even though my Dad always told me that I saw steam power on the Boston & Albany and the New York Central in the early 50's, in Chatham NY; I don't remember it at all. I do remember NYC diesels going through there though. I agree with many others here that we tend to model what we are most familiar with. For me, I didn't really start railfanning until around 1970, hence the era that I model is roughly 1978-1995. I do have a fondness for E units, although I don't own any.

The closest to transition era is not the steam to diesel electric but to try and model the ATSF/Burlington to BNSF era to today .
That said I do love checking out the history of the transition era . Even today there is a bit of 'niggle' (friendly of course) between the steam to diesels and I guess there are some who would say that the golden era was with steam . Two different periods melding and evolving technically is more the truth I think and quite similar to aviation with internal combustion to jets . In both cases there was a decent period that they worked side by side but the easier to maintain and bigger fleets D/E's proved to be the way of the future.
It's great that 100 plus years of mainline steam is never forgotten and is celebrated with heritage fleets and scenic rail and that so many of us model that with a lot of care and attention .
One of thee days I might try and add a steam locomotive to my fleet of fifty five diesels , maybe......

Espeefan, what does AGE OUT mean?
Get old enough that you leave the hobby. I’ve had several older friends age out. They lose the eye hand coordination or eyesight necessary to stay active in the hobby. Some pass on too. I’ve lost a few friends that way as well.

Yes, the unknowns about life. Because, Life is like a box of Chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!

Some posters here have stated they have no interest in steam and this makes me wonder why? The puffing smoke and steam, the whirling side rods, the Chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff sounds, the steam whistles and clanging bells! So, what's not to like?

I understand, to each his own; but, a noisy puffing steam engine, compared to a monotone boring diesel! I mean, come-on!

Some posters here have stated they have no interest in steam and this makes me wonder why? The puffing smoke and steam, the whirling side rods, the Chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff sounds, the steam whistles and clanging bells! So, what's not to like?

I understand, to each his own; but, a noisy puffing steam engine, compared to a monotone boring diesel! I mean, come-on!

While I have no interest in running steam on my layout or owning any steam power, I do like real steam engines. They are fascinating pieces of machinery, in fact, they are works of art to me. I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't like them. They just don't fit my era and I have mostly been careful how I spend my hobby $$$.

he puffing smoke and steam, the whirling side rods, the Chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff sounds, the steam whistles and clanging bells! So, what's not to like?

Guess you have never worked on steam. :rolleyes: Back when I hired, seam on the PRR was gone about ten years, but the Engineers I fired for all dated back to at least the Korean War era, and were veterans of steam locomotives. Most were not fond of them and had no interest in ever seeing one again.

My only personal experiences with steam power, were when I was in the Army, and was assigned to the 714th Railway Operating Battalion, at Ft. Eustis, Va., and had the "opportunity" to "fire"an Army 2-8-0, on the Military Railroad there, and several instances having to accompany the Aerican Freedom Train with ex Reading T-1 2101, while working as a Road Foreman with the Penn Central, and later Amtrak.

While the steam power was an interesting throwback, I was not impressed with them up close and personal.

My model railroad, reflects my preferences, so there is an absence of steam on the layout, (as well as apreponderance on Baldwin Diesels).

Boris

Back