Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep finding MRL videos on Y/tube quite often, that I haven't seen. The 2 SD45's shown on that one are still on the roster and active, They had 5 left after the purge of a couple of years ago, 326, 346, 351, 355 and 382. 326 has since been sold to another short line, leaving 4. The sound of the EMD 645 engine seems to evoke a particular like among train enthusiasts, sort of in the vein of the old flathead Ford V8's among car lovers.

Here is a vid from 2012 by a fellow MRL fan, Robert Forrstrom, a big contributor of photos as well, both prototype and model, also on Bozeman. a BNSF coal train with 5 midtrain MRL helpers. A mixed bunch this time, SD70ACe 4303, SD40-2xr's 262 and 264 with SD45's 331 and 330. The latter putting out some smoke.
Wow that's a bunch of helpers.

Since I couldn't sleep, I decided to check on what I missed last night.
Glad I did so I could enjoy both of the above videos.
Thanks for sharing!

Good morning Everybody!

Not much free time in my new schedule, but my lab work is steadily improving.

I wake, eat, walk, rest/sleep on the couch, eat, work or walk, rest, eat, walk, sleep again and repeat it all again the next day. Mix in visits to the doctors and I don't have much time for anything else.

My stamina is slowly improving along with my overall health. This rehab program is working, thank God! But sometimes I feel like I'm running on empty.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning To All
Eggs and Bacon with coffee Flo ,Please .
Some lovely pics, vids on the site Thanks to the following for sharing.
Toot
Willie
Justin
Curt
Chet
Dave
Gary
Johnny My Condolences to and your family on your Loss.

And if i forgot anybody please forgive me { it,s early here }

i tried another vid of the Alco with Brake Release , might be better quality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq1txf2f82th11h/VID_20190417_104040.mp4?dl=0
ok coffee time
you all have a great day

Chuck

What's neat about Toot's Video is most of the cars have no graffiti on them. I wonder why? Graffiti seems to be much more prevalent on BNSF trains here in Minnesota. Oh well, it's the taboo subject!

Mullen's Pass is on the old Northern Pacific right of way, out there in Chet's country!

No freezing temperatures this week, on into next! Is winter really over?

I know how much you all love photos and videos, so here goes!

HPIM8117.JPG

Caboose hop! This is my latest addition to the Stud, it is a MDC Roundhouse 10 wheeler kit with Northern Pacific details added to make it an
N.P. S-4 ten wheeler. This was a photo taken on the loco's first lap around my layout and it needs some weathering. I have installed a TCS WOW 101 KA STEAM Sound decoder The KA means it has a keep alive system with it. TCS sound is excellent! I found the loco was having some mechanical difficulties, so it has been taken apart at this time. I wish that MDC had used plated wheels when they made the kit. I really enjoy bashing subjects such as this. If locomotive kits where still available, that is likely what I would do all day long!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy hump day everybody!
51 degrees and clear going for a high in the mid-60s today.
I owe ,I owe, it's off to work I go! :)

Last edited:
. I really enjoy bashing subjects such as this. If locomotive kits where still available, that is likely what I would do all day long!

Mark, I agree. Building the cast loco kits can bring a level of satisfaction that no RTR loco can bring. Sadly the production of such kits is over. Luckily there are still Bowser/Penn Line/ Mantua and MDC kits out there but even they are getting harder to find. Get em while you can!!

20151225_204041.jpg

A Mantua Mikado with a Mantua Pacific boiler and a Spectrum tender masquerading as a B&O light Mikado

Good morning all,

Just coffee this morning as I'm running behind already.

Thanks all for the great videos and photos.
64 and overcast near Doodah today. Winds from the SW at 15-20 with gusts to 25. Potential for severe storms this late afternoon and through the night.
I had to help my daughter with her yard last night as it's supposed to rain this afternoon, so I didn't get anything done on the rails last night.

Sigh, it's Wednesday. We'll be heading out in about 45 minutes to the orthopedist. What worries me is how much surgery and recovery will affect my shooting. I wasn't able to go to any matches the last couple of years, and I've really been looking forward to this season. Luckily, it's my right shoulder, and I shoot rifle and shot gun as a lefty; OTOH I shoot revolver as a righty, and in my category (Classic Gunfighter) I'm not allowed to use my other hand for support. Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. I'm with Patrick - - just coffee this morning. Going to be a busy day at the office. 72 and cloudy out there, with storms moving in this evening and overnight.

Garry, Chuck, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the condolences on my two cousins (and one's wife) who died recently.

Nothing much to report from the train room. Waiting for that new NYC loco to arrive from NY (via eBay). Can't wait to see how it runs and whether it matches speed with my existing Athearn Genesis F3A. Will post photos as soon as I can. In the meantime, I work on scenery and structures. But mostly I'm outside working on the lawn :cool:

Have a good day everyone.

While I'm at it, another of Scott Hiddelston's BNSF/MRL Drone videos showing the length of some of the trains that cross the Mullan Pass tracks on the new double track at Iron Ridge. Sort of MRL's version of the Horseshoe curve. Just under 11mins and another candidate for full screen. Keep an eye out for the BNSF train coming downgrade, the other way on the inner track at top right. By the time the last "up" helper and "down" car pass in the curve, the fronts of each train are almost off vid. Don't forget to turn up the volume.

Last edited:
Good morning all, 39 and cloudy in Duluth, MN.

Louis--glad you checked in this morning
Mark, I live in Minnneapolis and it is grafitti everywhere. Hardly a freight car can be seen without it, much less the RR bridges. I really like the trestle in your photo

Boris, Karl, Toot, Patick, Beady, Johnny, Boris, good to hear from you this morning

Found this sad news clipping when going through my photos, this is my old home town when they tore the tracks out. Funny the year is not on the photo, I think it was 1972, not sure:

last train Wyoming MN.png

more later, Dave

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 66° here in North Central Texas. Weather geeks are still predicting "strong" thunderstorms for later today, but right now the only storms on the radar are 800 miles away in New Mexico. Conditions are shaping up for hail and tornados though, pressure dropping, wind remaining in the 15-20 mph range and 87% humidity. High is forecast to be 80°, no where near our record of 100° for this date.
How about a buttered whole wheat English Muffin and some OJ this morning Francine. Breakfast for everyone is on me today.
Thanks to all who commented or liked yesterday's post, Chuck, Dave, Chet, Patrick, Garry, Justin, Phil, Curt, David, and anyone else that I may have missed. I do have to give some credit to Woodland Scenics for the billboard and truck, they did a nice job.
How about a cardstock structure today. Mick's Food Market was a free download from modelbuildings.org
03-12-17 002.JPG

I added pieces of styrene strip around the windows and door to give it more depth

Still plodding along out in the train shed. Continued working on both my scenery project and the Oakleaf structure. Despite priming and careful assembly, the base for the structure got a bit of a warp after I added the buildings to it. I don't think that was the reason though. It's not too bad but it bothers me. So late yesterday, I glued "Popsicle" sticks to the underside and weighted everything down for overnight drying. Note that "Popsicle" sticks are extremely flat and rigid and I have used them to cure bowing in styrene walls before. I have several handfuls of unused ones left over from my kids school projects from the last century.

Dave - The flatcars came out pretty well. I agree with Curt that the lettering is rather sparse but that may just be the way it was done at the time.
Chet - No pain, no gain!
Johnny - Condolences from me for all of the cousins passing away.
Louis - Thanks for checking in and giving us an update. Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.
Mark - I never had an opportunity to assemble a steam engine kit so I don't have a clue as to it's difficulty. Seems like it would be though. You did an excellent job on that S-4.

I'm getting psyched up for the annual family Easter egg hunt and feast coming up this Sunday. My assignment is beer and macaroni salad; I guess that everybody liked it when I brought it a few years ago! I'll surprise them by making an Italian dressing version with pepperoni this time instead of the mayonnaise version that they are expecting. The number of attendees this year is 31 adults and 18 children. Glad that I'm not boiling and coloring all of those eggs!:eek: We're switching this year to a buffet style, since there isn't room at this brother's house for a sit down any more. In the past, they always borrowed tables and chairs from the church.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 38 degrees and overcast to start the day.

Louis -
Glad to hear that your health is improving. Take it slow and don't over do it. Nice to see you in here.

Chuck - Liked the Alco start up video. I have seen YouTube videos of an Alco start up and it is right on. Have you thought about contacting Bachmann about getting a different shell for the F unit for a railroad you want? Might be worth a try. I have found them nice to work with.

Ray
- Enjoyed the videos. I have seen them before. I have seen the remaining SD-45's in Livingston in the past. I have gone up to Mullan Pass a few time to rail fan. There are so many really nice places that are easy to get to which are good to watch the trains. Being that Bozeman Pass is in my front yard, it is easier to watch trains closer to home.

Karl - Nice photo of the B&O Mike. I think Mikes are one of my favorite steamers.

Beady - Good luck at the orthopedist. As I mentioned, my rotator surgery was orthoscopic and I was back bowing in around 3 months. I find that this at the present time is a bit more difficult as the rotator tendon is gone and the shoulder muscles have to do things that they didn't have to do before.

Dave
- Interesting newspaper article.

WIllie
- Like the popsicle stick repair. I'll have to keep that in mine.

Spent a fair amount of time in the train room yesterday. I had a few more figures that I had painted and added them to the layout and did a lot of switching. Will be heading back down there soon.

Here's the conductor enjoying the nice summer day on the transfer caboose.

thumbnail_20190416_105215.jpg

Later

Willie: I like that structure. Many years ago I built a feed store for my Lionel based on plans from a Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine and used cut 3x5 index cards up for siding. I think that's the part of MRRing I miss the most.

Chet: nice shot.

Good morning. 38 degrees and overcast to start the day.

Louis - Glad to hear that your health is improving. Take it slow and don't over do it. Nice to see you in here.

Chuck - Liked the Alco start up video. I have seen YouTube videos of an Alco start up and it is right on. Have you thought about contacting Bachmann about getting a different shell for the F unit for a railroad you want? Might be worth a try. I have found them nice to work with.

Ray - Enjoyed the videos. I have seen them before. I have seen the remaining SD-45's in Livingston in the past. I have gone up to Mullan Pass a few time to rail fan. There are so many really nice places that are easy to get to which are good to watch the trains. Being that Bozeman Pass is in my front yard, it is easier to watch trains closer to home.

Karl - Nice photo of the B&O Mike. I think Mikes are one of my favorite steamers.

Beady - Good luck at the orthopedist. As I mentioned, my rotator surgery was orthoscopic and I was back bowing in around 3 months. I find that this at the present time is a bit more difficult as the rotator tendon is gone and the shoulder muscles have to do things that they didn't have to do before.

Dave - Interesting newspaper article.

WIllie - Like the popsicle stick repair. I'll have to keep that in mine.

Spent a fair amount of time in the train room yesterday. I had a few more figures that I had painted and added them to the layout and did a lot of switching. Will be heading back down there soon.

Here's the conductor enjoying the nice summer day on the transfer caboose.

View attachment 36052

Later
Good Morning Chet
yes was in touch with Bachmann But all sold out
will keep an eye on Flea Bay etc etc
love the caboose pic
have a great day

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back