Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All
nice bit of sunshine here , getting ready for the Easter Show .https://www.ndmrs.co.uk
If you are reading that link and see the word CRAIC , That is an Irish Term for FUN . not to be confused with Crack :)
but pronounced the same .
so if an Irish Dude turns up in your local pub , and say,s where is the Craic at , he is looking for Fun .
Judas Priest , wow going back to my youth .
ok time for eggs, n coffee.
Have a great day ya,all

Chuck

Yes, Louis, good to see you hanging in there!!

The snow is over here, the sun will come out and the high will be forty above! So, now we need to melt off another 8-10 inches of this CRAP! Our delivery of Kitchen cabinets which was Scheduled for yesterday, because of the "Blizzard" has been rescheduled for Monday.

Florence, Waffles with Cream and Brown Sugar on them and a side of bacon, please! See you all tomorrow!

index.php

Save that 5 window!!

One of the guys on an FB group I'm on showed him using this air eraser/etching kit to remove decals. His video won't upload to here, but he said he used baking soda as a blasting medium at a pressure of 40PSI. It was very effective, even and quick. With care it produced a matt surface on the base color paint. Here is the link to it at Harborfreight
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-eraseretching-kit-69277.html

Good morning y'all. 62° and cloudy. Looks like the rain might be over.

After a long winter of minimal activity, the wife and I went to the park yesterday, and walked a measured mile...this orning, I'm very sore. Got to get up and walk more.

Later.

Boris

Good morning crew...

It is going to be blueberry pancakes today! It is 31 and cloudy. There is about 4" of wet heavy stuff on the ground here, should be gone in a couple of days.

We have a tree right in front of our big living room window and it is always full of birds. I love to hear them chirping.

Louis, Willie, Mark, Chuck, Toot, Boris, and Terry; nice to hear from you this morning

Todays layout photo is my Bowser SW-12. This was a really smooth running loco, however I dropped it and had a heck of a time glueing a couple little parts back together. I finally got it working reasonably well and sold it at a train show.

It ran fine on the track but I was always worried another little bump would do it in for good.

_MG_5640.jpg

Those are the super trees on the left. The rock face showing was some sculptamold that I grooved with a knife.

Will be painting some new flat cars today.

Dave

Good Morning All. 49° and raining. The thunderstorm started about 0600 and has just about stopped; it doesn't appear as heavy as predicted, but this pattern usually comes in waves so we'll see. Haven't ventured out to check the gauge yet. High wind advisory until after midnight with 25 mph winds from the NE. Today's Medal of Honor Parade in Gainesville has been cancelled due to the forecast of heavy thunderstorms all day.
OJ, waffles and Taylor Ham for me this morning Flo. The rain will preclude mowing today and tomorrow, I need the break but it will cause excessive grass growth over the next week or so.

Wow! Thanks for all of the comments and likes on yesterday's post, Phil, Dave, Chuck, Justin, Sherrel, Garry, Jerome, Chet, Curt, Louis and anyone else who I might have missed.
Here's a couple of pictures of a Downtown Deco kit called "Blair Ave Part I". It's a Hydrocal kit that was a lot of fun to paint and detail. Like many on my layout, it still resides in a plywood town awaiting scenery which I will get to someday
03-01-17 007.JPG
11-13-17 013.JPG

Note that the handrail uprights are actually old Athearn metal loco stanchions!

Yesterday in the train shed, things went a bit slowly. I added many rows of shingles to the Oakleaf Industries roof and primed some of the white metal detail parts. Didn't do any work on scenery because I couldn't get inspired. That's why it is always good for me to have concurrent projects. I did give some locomotive engineers a good workout running two different switching jobs.

George - Here's hoping that you are able to get the sciatic nerve problem under control soon. I am sure that it isn't pleasant.
Johnny - Great news regarding Dena's follow up.
Chet -
She does want me to slow down on my exercises at home because I am so far ahead of where she expected me to be and doesn't want to have a set back.
Maybe she's concerned about being out of a job too soon!
I'm in agreement with Mikey regarding your sunbathers and chiggers!
Garry - That passenger station is really quite impressive.
Curt -
Willie- Nice bar and details. How many acres do you own?
Fifteen acres, three acres are house/yard/train shed/barn/pond while the other twelve are hayfield/buffer zone.

Rain has temporarily stopped and there is .25 in the gauge.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Good morning, everybody.

Chet, Beady, Curt, Louis and anybody I missed ....... Thanks for commenting on my Union Station pictures.

Beady .... Regarding trolley wires ... A few years ago I was at a train show in Michigan. I think it was in Macomb County. Some guys were there with a portable trolley layout they were operating. At the time, I took mental notes on how they did the trolley wire, but memory is fading now. .. I do have a kit by Bowser for a trolley wire system, and I think that kit is still in the Bowser website. ... My Bachmann street cars include a switch so I can change electrical pickup so the overhead wire can provide the electricity.

Chet ... Your scrap yard scene looks great.

Dave ... Nice photo with the GN switcher.

Louis ... Praying you continue to recover from your illness.

Chet ... Praying for continued heeling from your surgery.

WIllie ..... Your downtown buildings in today's photos look great.

I worked more on my coal mine project last night. .... There is still much more work remaining..

Montanan ... Working on a friends N-Scale layout, and one of our mainlines is the Northern Pacific. I am going to have to get him to look at your pics. We model 5 mainlines in the NW on a layout with aprox. 55 scale miles of mainline.

Good Morning Everyone....sunny here in Wisconsin with a promise of rain and snow tomorrow. Our recent 3 inch snowfall was gone by yesterday morning.

Late start this morning...we when out for a Fish Fry last night at our favorite fish fry location. My sister in law worked there when in Medical School so some of the old time employees know us and take care of us. The fish dinner offers a second serving of two smaller pieces of fish and some fries, but when we received ours it was another full serving of fries and fish for two!!! Way too much food. Sticker shock on the prices of mixed drinks in the city compared to at the cabin. $4.25 for NA beer and $7.00 for a "tiny" Old Fashioned and this isn't at a fancy bar! Up north we have gone to a combination bar-grill-bait shop for fish on Friday nights. A real mix of business choices.

Plan today to wire a dwarf NJ two light turnout indicator in the Pine River Yard. This is an incandescent lamp equipped signal when most of my others are LED's. I have several dwarf NJ in stock and want to make use of them. On Thursday, I was going to wire the first signal and then I found that the signal is hidden by scenery. This one is one in the open area and very visible.

I find that operators have a little trouble selecting turnout positions unless they have signals to aid them. The Saxeville Interchange is a challenge to operate with six sets of cross-overs all at near eye level. The operators must trust the turnout signals to show turnout positions.

The incandescent lamps are run at 9 volts to prolong their life. I do like the incandescent lamps for signals over LED's due to the fact the incandescent lamps at low voltage look, at a distance, more prototypically real. A personal choice, but the LED's provide an extended life over the incandescent lamps.

My layout has separate buss wiring for the DCC, signals(12 volts), incandescent lighting (on a rheostat to adjust voltage), Tortoise machines' power (9 volts) and the LED lighting in the Woodland's system (24 volts). All can be turned on or off at the main panel when not in use or needed.

When driving to the fish fry last night we drove over the UP right of way near the tracks where there was a UP derailment as week or so ago with 13 gondolas leaving the tracks. A unit tank train was sitting on a siding waiting to go east bound.

That's all for now.

Greg

##################################

IMG_0320.JPG

Building a kit bashed Walther's Background Building. It has five exterior wall mounted operating lamp fixtures, the brick work colored with Pan Pastels and weathered with powders. The building is now completed and is located in the Waupaca Industrial area. The decals are from several Walther's kits. The kit is sitting on my very affordable spray booth. -Greg

Last edited:
Morning from the West!
Supposed to be 73 today -- Normal is 74 -- Record is 87!
Starting out clear, calm, and Very Sunny!

Shipper of the RV towing Baseplate sent me a message and asked me to re-order as he had to close my prior order with a refund due to NOT being able to track down the first one.
Opened up the huge box yesterday that contained the tow bar and braking thingamagig. The thingmagig had a couple missing parts - breakaway switch and cable - that I need to order today. It may someday all get assembled?
Oh- Yeah - A short wiring harness was in the box, but I have no idea where it goes .. going to have to seek advise on the electrical bit?

Later, guys - Spousal Unit is on MIL duty this weekend, so I have a couple kitchen projects that I am trying to work on while I can leave the tools all over.

Good morning. 46 degrees out right now without a cloud in the sky.

Going to batch it this weekend.. I was supposed to be attending an annual bowling tournament in Ronan, MT this weekend, but with the bum arm, that ain't going to happen. It is an interesting tournament, or should I say marathon. 20 games in one day. After bowling the first 12 games, they feed an outstanding dinner and them complete the remaining 8. It's so popular that they added a second weekend. Just me and the dogs. My son will be over later today to remove the snow plow from the tractor and mount the mowing deck. He'll also get my summer tores out from under the deck so I can take the winter tires off next week.

Dana - I feel flattered that you want to use some of my photos. You'll have to post some photos of that N scale layout. 55 miles of main line. WOW! Here's a link to my model railroad club located in the old Northern Pacific depot in Livingston, MT. May give you some more ideas. It also has a cab ride video around the layout.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-livingston-model-railroad-club.30269/

Greg
- Beer through a straw ???? Be real. That fish dinner sounds like quite the evening.

Louis
- Again, nice to see you in again. You must be on the mend. I will have to agree that orthopedics have come a long way in recent years. The shoulder replacement I had done is a relatively new procedure that has had great results.

Ray - I model in 1957. Those 5 windows were a dime a dozen back then.

Mark -
Looks like you survived that blizzard. Saw news reports on it and it didn't look pretty.

Dave - Keep those photos coming. Another winner.

Willie - Excellent job on the Downtown Deco building. Sweet. I have been looking at them for quite a while and unfortunately, the new kits that I could have used came out after I had my town done. I don't think that the therapist has to worry about her job. She does know her stuff. The muscles in the arm have to learn to compensate for the lack of the rotator tendon that is no longer there. The muscles are still healing, which will take a while and being too aggressive with exercises could slow the recovery.

Sherrel
- Good luck with the towing package. Sure hope all of the parts come in.

Here's a quick look down Main Street in Logan.

thumbnail_20190329_084524.jpg

Guess I'll head down to the train room and run some trains.

Later.

Just got in from the train shed where I have been sheltered from the storm. The rain has been coming and going all morning. Weatherwise, the last half hour has been brutal, just over 1" of rain fell and then abruptly stopped long enough to allow me to get back to the house; just in time for lunch and moving the clothes from the washer to the dryer. Maybe the thunder will stop long enough to get a good nap in before I resume the day. Severe thunderstorm warnings just east and just west of me, here we're just enduring a severe wind advisory.

Willie - Just saw the weather on the news with tornado warnings to the east of you. Looking at the weather radar, you may be in for it for a while.

1630z.gif

51, sunny and windy.

Got the MRI report. It's in medicalese and my orthopedist appointment isn't until Wednesday, but I gather I have a partly torn rotator cuff (nothing I didn't know before). I have no idea how severe it is so, while surgery seems to be in my future, I still have no idea what that means. Stay tuned. I really don't mind the idea of surgery; I regard it as fixing a problem. We have full insurance plus Medicare, so won't pay a dime out of pocket. Just give me the drugs and get on with it.

CHET, do you do N scale? I've got a few Downtown Deco kits I can send your way. I'd really like to put them together, but I think I'm past detail work that small. I guess that's why I've been collecting Legos; it satisfies my building urge.

WILLIE, I just noticed you have a well-known member, too. Congratulations!

CHET, do you do N scale? I've got a few Downtown Deco kits I can send your way. I'd really like to put them together, but I think I'm past detail work that small. I guess that's why I've been collecting Legos; it satisfies my building urge.

I am in HO scale. I had an N scale layout with 11 scale miles of track back in the 70, but the locomotives of that period were so crude and undependable, I tore everything out and moved on to HO scale.

When I had my rotator done, I was lucky and they were able to do arthroscopic surgery which made the recovery a lot faster. They also found that the bicep was separated by around 980 percent which they were able to fix at the same time. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back