Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's only 89° right now with a relative humidity of about 30%. Good news is that the wind chill (25 mph) makes it feel like only 85°. Even better news is that this isn't SOCAL!:p
YOU - young whippersnapper! Watch your tongue.
Time: 2:15 PM
: 75°F
Normal Temperature : 72°F
Relative Humidity: 18%
Dewpoint: 26°F
Heat Index: 76°F
Wind Chill: 75°F
Wind: 8 mph SW (244°)Gusts: 20 mph

Afternoon All,

Ran some errands then drove my son to the HD dealer to pick up his bike (repairs). I ordered 2 Funaro Pennsy F22 (30' heavy duty flat cars) and the wooden decks for them. My next project is a display of 3 Pennsy flat cars that have a battleship 16 in. barrel as a load. This is modeling actual Pennsy loads during WWII.

Justin- Interesting video and coal photos. Do you know what the black retention pond in one used for?

Garry- Thank you.

Dave- Nice looking car.

Willie- Nice layout shots. Did you scratch build the grain towers?

Sherrel- Sounds like a fun time.

Chet- Two more great scenes.

Beady- Hope your sleeping gets better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Here's the final resting place for horn couplers, strung trucks and plastic wheels. Don't forgot box cars doors. Darn, if I didn't took a bunch of horn couplers!!!

1554932725064.png

Found this photo on the web. -Greg

The ponds are called slurry ponds. Mixture of mined minerals and water. One such pond actually broke free. The Buffalo Creek disaster of 1972. There was one more recent I think back in 2014 Patriot coal had a slurry spill here in West Virginia. Supposedly the mined coal dust and ash can be separated fairly easily. This is a very risky and costly thing to use. I think most mines now use pipelines for this instead of a slurry pond. I have only ever seen a slurry pond in person one time at an abandoned load out site just off the New River Subdivision mainline. It was still full of water and of course black as night. Then again so was most of the ground. I wish I could remember how to get back there. I'd take in person photos and share with y'all. Maybe a summer trip this upcoming summer.

Justin: Where is Buffalo Creek...I have two Kadee Buffalo Creek box cars and I always wondered about this railroad.

Thanks.

Greg

Finally figured out the photo thing.
Rather than "save as" - now ....
I have to download the photo and then move it from the download folder to where I want it to go.
There is maybe a more simple way to do it - I'll keep looking?

Thanks for the comments, guys ... This is the school's auditorium -- serious money here!
band night stage.jpg

Greg- your boxcars more than likely are Buffalo Creek and Gauley(BC&G). It was started in April 1904 and ended operations in 1965. They were a steam only railroad and didn't own a single diesel locomotive.

JOE: Seeing the photos posted by Justin reminds me that I was looking at a 1968 MR yesterday and came across an article about (now I can't remember the Line) moving trash from Philadelphia to a strip mine in Pennsylvania.
There would be 7 cars of shredded refuse and 4 cars from the incinerator each day.
Was it the Reading? Are they still doing that?

Sherrel: To answer your direct question, I don't know. But there is / was a lot of trash, out of several locations in Metro NYC to points west and south.
Most was destined to landfills mostly played out strip mines and quarries.

Boris

Beady- AIMS?
Appalachian Investigators of Mysterious Sightings. Google a "reality" TV show called Mountain Monsters; think Hillbillies, Mothman, Loch Ness, Bigfoot, etc, for five seasons. I believe they were HQ'd in Clay County, and I know a couple of the cast lived there and two or three episodes were set there. One of my many guilty pleasures. Actually, the show was great fun.

Howdy... it was another full day, and now I’m catching up on the cell phone.

Willie. ... Nice looking Walthers grain elevator.

Justin ... I like the coal mine photos you are posting.

Chet ... Your layout photos look great.

Dave ... Nice work on the Roundhouse boxcar.

Greg... Your scrap yard looks great.

Everybody... Have a nice night.

ere's the final resting place for horn couplers, strung trucks and plastic wheels. Don't forgot box cars doors.
"Where is Buffalo Creek...I have two Kadee Buffalo Creek box cars and I always wondered about this railroad? "

Greg: Well done on the Junk Yard.

! About the Buffalo Creek, there were two railroads with similar names, the Buffalo Creek & Gauley, the steam powered coal railroad in West Virginia, and the Buffalo Creek Railroad, that served the flour mills and grain elevators in Buffalo NY.

The BC&G had coal hoppers, and ex US Army steam power, the BCK ran with Alco switchers , and had the box cars, like the ones Kadee ran.

https://www.thedieselshop.us/BuffCreek.HTML

East Kentucky Coal Mine 4-10-2019.jpg

Speaking of Coal Mines, this one's in Eastern Kentucky, photo taken today ( 4/10/2019), with an I phone.

Boris

Last edited:
Guten Tag herr Frauleins! Wonderful day expected! Lots of sunshine a warm temps!

Flo, Gonna need a big breakfast today! Two eggs over easy, a rasher of bacon, hashbrowns and white toast, Coffee, lots of it and a nice glass of O.J.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back