Walther's fun to run cars

Aerojet

Okay, let's start a discussion of some old time Walther's kits, and their rebuilds. At one time Walther's made a few of the tongue in cheek models. Starting with the original Oscar and Piker, which you have seen in my photos. Yes I have both and they are not for sale. Then there was the "Beer Can" tanker. The Peanut One, a Carter jibe was available for while, Jail Box - Next time any crime has been seen, I saw on on evil bay for $225.00 in the box none the less .. the "Impact car" with the big ball which rode on a track ... and perhaps there are more out there I am not aware of ...

Vintage Walther's !
DSC_1023.JPG

Oscar and a Hustler to match! If you have seen my series on "Meanwhile back at the car shop" - you have seen this car connected to a Walther's 7808 Executive Car. /// Which reminds me - this looks as dark blue as the 7808. Problem? Stupid digital cameras.... grrrrr..... so here it is as it should be seen.

Back in the early 2000's Walthers re-released Oscar and Piker in a ready to run form ...
DSC_1157.JPG

This is my set of those, along with a Hustler loco painted to match. If this is your idea of a passenger train, welcome aboard! No these are not for sale either. Try to find a set of those today is nearly impossible. I bought mine back in the day ....

So which Walther's cars do you have? Still run them? Know collectors will pay a fortune for one?

Let's start a conversation and see how many old timers are out there !!

The Aerojet

I tried finding an Oscar and Piker a few months ago, and the price on the two I found was more than enough to kill any fleeting desire I had to own them.

Which is the problem today. // Backstory -- Well I am now 70, and the kids are bugging dad and mom to move into some kind of assisted living. My wife has not been too good for over 5 years now, and I am slipping here and there. I am care giver for her. With all the stuff I have accumulated over the years, especially model railroad, the family wanted me to start weeding out things, and cleaning up the old work room where both of us used to work on hobbies. We are unearthing old Walther's stuff buried in the mountain of things in that room. Boxes full of railroad stuff. old cars, projects which went no where, and junk I saved just in case I needed it. It is in this that the 7808 came to light, and now the Piker. I was wondering where that thing went. The beer can car also showed up - and someplace in the mess I do have a jail box.//

When one has "the talk" with the kids about the "estate" one thing which comes up is what do you do with all the stuff you guys have?

I have ham radio gear going back ages, enough camping gear from over 35 years of camping to outfit a boy scout troop, and then there is my TRAIN.

In the end it seems I have quite a few collectable items in my train stuff which today are worth a small fortune. As you have found out. I am not sure what they will do with them when I am gone, but we now know what exactly is around the house and down here - and - slowly coming out of the old room up stairs, so we can catalog them for the future. It is sad to think that they don't want to continue with the activities which the family did all those years, but times change and people move on, and what was is still here - now what to do with it?

I can't be the only old timer sitting on a pile of memories. So I was hoping to start something with the younger set looking at the past, and maybe some day collecting it.

Which reminds me - I have several big boxes full of Lionel 50's era O gauge stuff what do you do with that? It came out of the parents estate when we closed that up and it turned up in cleaning out the attic ... just more stuff we need to find homes for I guess.

The Aerojet

Something to consider doing is divesting all the “stuff” yourself, before they have to. You know how much it’s worth, and how and where best to get rid of it. Ebay, Craigslist, your local hobby shop, even Farcebook has a “marketplace”, as well as many buy/sell groups.
Just remember that those Walthers passenger cars are still listed on Ebay, months after I saw them, and who knows how long they were there before I saw them.

Okay, let's start a discussion of some old time Walther's kits, and their rebuilds.

So which Walther's cars do you have? Still run them?
I only have the Oscar and Piker, but several of each. Both the original kits as well as the RTR. Most are still new-in-box somewhere. I ran the "Pullman" painted RTRs at the club when I was the treasurer as my executive car. Always intended to re-paint them to the club RR name, but never got around to it.

I never any of them were that funny, especially the "Peanut 1". Guess I just have a different sense of humor than most folks. I do remember a big contest/promotion for people to turn in ideas for other ' tongue-in-cheek' cars. I submitted one for a "RailGon" that was a MOW rail remover. I never saw any results of that promotion. I mean, they didn't come out with any new cars after it.

Which reminds me - I have several big boxes full of Lionel 50's era O gauge stuff what do you do with that?
Well, take it out and play with it of course. Grand children aren't going to develop and interest in anything if it is sitting around in boxes.

Terry - you sound like my kids -- only problem is I am not done playing with my TOYS. In the end, yes they are worth some cash, but worth more to me right now as treasured playthings.

The problem with the Lionel stuff is, I have no room to set it up. Everything around here is HO - and no room for more.

The Aerojet

Concerning the impact car. The original was a John Allen design used on the G&D to identify operators that were too rough in their switching moves. I accumulated all the stuff to make a few of them for myself, but that project is still a few hundred "to-dos" down the list.

A couple of the run to run cars that I'd like to see Walther's make, are Life Like's full dome passenger car. It works well with my shorty Athearn streamlined passenger cars. Also the 2 level 50' auto rack car. Its great for some freelancing, and putting some more detailed cars on, and in.

Back