Keeping Track of Manuals and Information Sheets...

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I've been gathering a collection of Quick Start Guides, Product Informational Sheets, parts diagrams, articles from the internet and other loose files. Some are in a three ring binder, while others are just in a box or files in compartments in my computer console.

I'm looking for away to organize this information and been thinking of scanning the papers and load them into a files on my computer.

My Digitrax throttle and Command Station manuals are kept handy in a plastic brochure holder (left of the control panel) that's attached to the pine board skirting on the layout.

IMG_0240 (2).JPG

Any ideas???

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited:
I've been gathering a collection of Quick Start Guides, Product Informational Sheets, parts diagrams, articles from the internet and other loose files. Some are in a three ring binder, while others are just in a box or files in compartments in my computer console.

I'm looking for away to organize this information and been thinking of scanning the papers and load them into a files on my computer.
I just have a physical file folder. Every time I get on the "store it on the computer" band wagon, something happens to the computer or the backups or whatever such that I don't have them anymore. But the good news is that most companies now have their manuals on their company web site.

I built this roll drawer file cabinet into the layout structure. It is lagged into the leg so it won't tip forward - even if both drawers are pulled out! Curtains will soon cover it.

The black cabinet, to its right, is on casters. That way working on the mass of wiring there is easier. The junk on top is some of the old pro-video decks I retired years ago. Stuff that cost 5000 bucks and up, is now worth, maybe, 200. But I can't let go!
FILE-CABINET.jpg

My DCC Manuals are kept on a small shelf right under the the main panel of my layout.

Instructions! We don't need no stinkin instructions. :)

I just have a drawer I keep the instructions and manuals. Don't really have that many. Don't really refer to them that much. Maybe look at the DCC manuals once a year or so. Instruction sheets for resin kits are put in sleeves an added to my data collection in binders.

I keep three-ring binders with printed instruction manuals for QSI, Tsnami, and LokSound. I also, of course, keep electronic versions. My Digitrax manuals, one for the DB150 and one for the DT400 throttles (LUUUV them!!), are in hard copy as included with the items when first purchased, and I keep them beside the stored boxes for all the locomotives.

I used to keep all the paper invoices for newly purchased locomotives, but I have abandoned that practice. I do keep an electronic file in my email programme of all the purchases and notices of shipment.

I keep the start-up and directions for all my locomotives in a small box. The building directions for my Atearn Blue Box Locos and MDC Roundhouse locomotives have been tossed as they are not needed anymore. the small box has worked and I had never thought of doing anything else until you brought this up, Greg. However, the three ring binder does sound like a good idea.

Right hand, bottom drawer of the work desk. In hard folders so they stand up on their own. Each one labeled for its specific contents, i.e. Digitrax, BLI, MTH, SoundTraxx, etc.

Back