Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting one come up on ebay.com.au. a Lionel HO GS4 SP Daylight with pancake motor, with it's original 1977 sales receipt, complete in it's box. Want me to give you the link Louis? Wouldn't do you any good anyway, only posts within Aussie.
Thank you King Toot, but no thank you. I have very little interest in HO, with a few exceptions. I have long since maxed out the space I have set aside for HO. Not to mention I don't really have any interest in western railroads.

Thanks for thinking of me just the same :)

I went grocery shopping with my Mom yesterday, as we do every Sunday. I had a 23lb Turkey in the freezer, but I spotted an even bigger one and it was a butterball! I had to buy the 27.36lb beauty.

We are on schedule to be ready for thanksgiving, thank God! I can't wait! :)

That's all for me for now. Time to make my little man some breakfast.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 30° to start our day. We're looking at pleasant mild weather for at least a week if the forecasters are right. Spent much of the day yesterday doing household chores after church. Stiff north winds abated around 3:00 so I took the granddog for a walk.
Train shed time was brief yesterday since we were going out to supper last night. Started making some scratchbuilt details for the current project scene, birdbath, firewood pile, flower pots and more shrubs. Meanwhile several engineers got some Sunday pay for moving freights over the layout.

Sherrel -
I had not heard of the term "face cord",
See here face cord.
If you are doing Shiplap, aren't the pieces supposed to overlap?
On exterior walls, yes. Interior walls have a gap. Shiplap We do what the designer wants.
4'x 8' sheets are available but I split my own for a more rustic look.
Steamboat Willy was the first Mickey Mouse movie.
Greg - I had to chuckle when reading your adventure with the speakers. I've had projects work out like that before, you're not alone.
Regarding freight cars with the same numbers, many times I only change the numbers on the sides and "overweather" the end numbers since they can't be read from normal viewing distance anyway.
You've been posting lately about dusting and vacuuming the layout. I have my layout roughly divided into eight sections that I rotate cleaning at the beginning of every calendar quarter, so every section gets cleaned once every two years whether needed or not. Structures are removable and they get refurbished when their turn comes around.
Ray - That's one of my most favorite pieces of music.
Curt - Wow! That is really an old film clip.
Tom - Great to see you in the Coffee Shop. Judging from your photos here and some I have seen in other threads, "this ain't your first rodeo". Nice work and keep the pictures coming. We love them around here.

Today is "World Toilet Day". One of mankind's five greatest inventions. Celebrate by feeding it and tying a bow and ribbon on it.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful week ahead.

Interesting facts about the measurement of firewood there, Willie - Thanks.
I had heard of a "rick", but not "face".
Had an uncle who had a garage built in the early 50's that looked just like that paint job "link".
I remember hugging a toilet or two after a party when I was younger!

Supposed to be 75 degrees today - 42 at this time. Very high thin "whispy" clouds ... don't see any moisture from them! Chance of a slim shower Wednesday.

Ya'll play nice - Dental appointment to pick up my denture repair this morning - sure hope the repair works and maybe the Spousal Unit won't frown at me anymore!

It's almost likeI can see the future, or something... I'm supposed to leave Wednesday at noon for our little trip.
This morning, I was visited by the sales manager.
Him-- I know you're supposed to leave at noon on Wednesday, but we've got a trailer that has to be delivered at 1pm that day.

Me--Death Stare.

Him-- But I'm sure one of the other people can handle that one...

I could almost see the smoke coming off his shoes as he left my office as fast as he could, without looking like he was running.

Good afternoon. Cue the theme song from "Twillight Zone." I signed in this morning and found a bunch of people posting photos of themselves, mostly closeups of faces. So I posted one, too. Now I'm back in and those facial posts are nowhere to be found. What the . . . .?!?!?

Anyway, here's a photo from last night's Stryper concert here in Springfield. Several of my friends from work and I did the Meet & Greet with the band before the concert - - got some free stuff, had the band sign several items, had our photo taken with the band. A local group, Machine Gun Symphony, opened for Stryper. They're a 80's cover band, and they did about an hour set that included a lot of different stuff from Bon Jovi to Deep Purple. Then Stryper hit the stage and did almost a 2-hour set, no intermission. It is the last stop on their 2018 God Damn Evil tour. They're taking a couple of months off before hitting the road again. Great concert!! My ears are still ringing - probably have to stop doing this sooner or later.

Just for clarification, that's me in the middle, the one with the short hair ;)
StryperAndMeNov18_2018.jpg
L to R: New bass player Perry Richardson (formerly of hair band FireHouse), guitarist Michael Sweet, me, drummer Robert Sweet, and guitarist Oz Fox (stage name for Richard Martinez). Great group of guys.

Stryper 2_Nov_18_2018.jpg

Well, have a good day everyone.

Now I'm back in and those facial posts are nowhere to be found. What the . . . .?!?!?
Your post is still there. If you're the last to post in a thread, it doesn't come up when you go to "New Posts" until someone else posts in that thread. In your case Mike posted while you were still logged on this morning so it doesn't appear.
Click on "What's New" for a complete list.

Short week this week,lots of time to get some engines weathered,build some more container trailers.Just need my UPS decals to finish the 45 and pup trailers.

Everyone - Good news from my wife's surgeon this morning - she needs a lumpectomy, not a mastectomy. They will also remove two lymph nodes and do tests on those - if they are cancerous, then she would need further surgery. But if not, then 3 weeks of radiation and done!!

So thank you everyone for your prayers and thoughts for us. We appreciate everyone on this forum.

Evening All,

Did some odds and ends around the layout then my wife found 3 brand new toilets on Craig's list for free! We went and picked them up and they will be in the garage until after Thanksgiving. Our current ones are 22 years old. I figured we saved about $350 today.

Johnny- That's great news so far. I continue to pray for your wife and her recovery.

Sherrel- Can't you make 3 bean salad with those?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening All,

Did some odds and ends around the layout then my wife found 3 brand new toilets on Craig's list for free! We went and picked them up and they will be in the garage until after Thanksgiving. Our current ones are 22 years old. I figured we saved about $350 today.

Johnny- That's great news so far. I continue to pray for your wife and her recovery.

Sherrel- Can't you make 3 bean salad with those?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt. ... that’s a good deal on the toilets. Sounds like you have 3/5 of a royal flush. .

Ray - That's one of my most favorite pieces of music.

Do you know that, that part is only a short piece from the beginning of 90 minutes. Unfortunately the rest is a bit like, "Now that I've done this outstandingly stirring bit, where do I go from here? I've tried to sit through it in the hope somewhere else it might repeat a similar experience, but 30 min's has been the max. Although poor old Richard Strauss had no way of knowing it, he composed one of the best openings for a Sci-Fi movie ever written.

On a whim, I bought an MRL SD40-2XR RTR quickplug #262 to go with my others, from US ebay for US$89, listed as NIB, shipped by the Global shipping program, which actually is somewhat less than USPS Priority International and I was expecting our Govt's 10% GST to be levied by ebay at point of purchase as per the agreement they have between them. Didn't happen. All up with the shipping and exchange rate, the charge was AU$176, but no mention of the GST. Get notification this evening that the parcel has passed through customs and on it's way. Now 10% of $176 is $17.60 (yes they're charging it on the full shipping too), but no, it says, Import charges of AU$24.63, an extra $7 by my calc. Sounds to me like they're charging an import duty as well. 1st time that's happened. Final figure, AU$202. The US$89 converted to AU$124, so shipping and charges of AU$78.

I need about 4 more decoders from MB Kleins, wonder if the same will happen from there, hasn't been up till now, that's been getting through without the GST or any duty so far. Seeing a Tsunami 2 is about the same, it's going to make sound very expensive.

Good morning everyone. 26 and cloudy. Should warm up with the sun later.

Nothing much to report from the train room. Cleaned the room up a bit with folks coming over for thanksgiving and will want to see the trains. Don't worry - I left it a little messy - after all, it IS a work in progress!!

Everyone - Many thanks for the continued prayers and thoughts for my wife. Will keep you all posted.

Have a good day everyone.

Has anybody soldered wires directly into the Econami ECO-21PNEM decoder's sockets, rather than getting the 9 pin adapter board?

Good Morning Gang. 35° and clear, no sun yet as I type this. Busy day ahead, a trip to the DFW metroplex to pick up a deep-fried turkey from an old business acquaintance, a trip over to Discount Model Railroad to get Thanksgiving gifts for me, a stop at Home Depot for spackle, trim and another box of nails and the gas station. Last week the price of regular at my normal place was $2.06, and with my Kroger gas points I got 30¢ off, making it $1.76/gal. I may have enough points this week for a 40¢ discount. Yesterday was busy as well, with some remodel work in the morning and outdoor activities later on, primarily leaf removal. It's been tee shirt weather in these parts with sunny afternoons in the mid 60's.
Once again it was too nice outside yesterday to spend too much time in the train shed. I did however do some more work on small details and added some diagonal bracing to the chain link fence...it's just for show and I still need two or three more braces. Then I opened a cold brew and just ran trains until it was time to prepare homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs/mushrooms for supper.

Johnny - That is good news regarding your wife indeed. Still prayers for her and the eventual surgery.
Curt - It wasn't World Toilet Day for nothing. Congratulations on the find. I guess that I should look at Craig's List sometime. I have read posts from folks who have found train stuff there as well.
Ray - I do have the entire piece of music on vinyl and you're right about some much of it being rather boring after that stunning opening.

Didn't see Chet here yesterday, that weekend bowling marathon must have really wore his a$$ out.
Everybody have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back