Train Inventory Software

My definition obsolete as it relates to software is when a program is no longer supported and does not work on a new or improved operating system.
It is definitely no longer supported since the programmer has stated so, but that doesn't make it obsolete. At least not in the foreseeable future.

I use "Easy Model Railroad Inventory" by Bob Langer. I do not think the program is difficult, although it does become tedious when entering a large number of entries. Over all, it's a great inventory for insurance purposes, and was designed with the NMRA Insurance program in mind. I might actually complete data entry this coming winter. BTW, there is also a spreadsheet feature included. Mr. Langer covered many bases.

[ I use Word Perfect Office, which contains the Quatro Pro spreadsheet. I used to use this when I was in the Consulting business, and always considered it superior to MS Word and Excel. When MS went to the subscription model (Office 360) for Office, I went back to WP.]

I do not utilize the car card or waybill feature, as I utilize my own system based on Conrail practice.[/QUOTE]

Boris,
I should put a disclaimer at the bottom of my posts that relate/refer to anything from Microsoft.

I'm a former member of a now defunct program; The Microsoft System Builders Program. Microsoft gave me so much support, free software and other incentives that they facilitated my efforts to become an Independent computer manufacturer. They went as far as to offer their lateset operating systems at the same up front price as the big boys (Dell, Gateway, HP and others) were paying, I'm sure the big boys got kick backs, but that is understandable. I only had to buy multi-packs of 5 operating systems!

The free software was (Microsoft Office, Encarta, Money, Dinosaurs, Age of Empires and many more. To be install on the computers I was selling or I could use them any way I saw fit! Every kid I knew had free software from me, courteously provided by Microsoft. I was even able to sell the giveaways! Microsoft helped me put a lot of money in my bank!

Microsoft was forced to end this program as a part of the anti-trust settlement with the government, thanks for nothing Bill Clinton, I'm glad I never voted for you! Damn Netscape cry babies! :)

Intel also had a similar program.

That is why I have been and always will be loyal to Microsoft. I've never even tried competing products and never will. If I need a product and Microsoft makes it, bet your bottom dollar I'll buy it!

Intel is another story. To be a part of their program I had to agree to use only Intel products. They bought my loyalty and when the program expired, so did my loyalty. Even though Intel does make the best products. I have had good luck with IBM, Cyrix, AMD and others, at much lower prices usually. When it comes to hardware, price is a big factor for me.

It is definitely no longer supported since the programmer has stated so, but that doesn't make it obsolete. At least not in the foreseeable future.
You are correct sir!

For me it won't be obsolete until it no longer works on the latest operating system and that could be years away.

Microsoft has said the windows 10 will be the last, but that does not mean the windows upgrades won't make unsupported 3rd party software obsolete.

I never miss an upgrade because security reasons. Too many hackers with nothing better to do.

I almost never use unsupported software. In this case I made an exception based on who had recommended it. I should also add that I almost never download free software. Again I made an exception in this case because of who was recommending it, thanks again Willie!

My definition of obsolete software is when ever I have purchased said software!

I'm ready to start an inventory Willie. So my best source of a download is that one you gave early in this conversation??

I'm ready to start an inventory Willie. So my best source of a download is that one you gave early in this conversation??
Yes it is. It is free of any extra BS like ads etc. Bill Brillinger, website owner, is a reputable fellow from over at MRH and he added nothing to the original that was very professionally done.

I just ran across this while searching for DPM modular systems. Looks like Woodland Scenics has one as well. Might be worth a look.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/page/modelinventory
One look at the reviews tells the whole story. Very negative. I don't use anything that doesn't let me load it completely on my computer, no cloud or other BS acceptable to me. There's also no preview of any kind (at least I couldn't find one) to see what it offers.
I'm not meaning to be negative regarding your post.

One look at the reviews tells the whole story. Very negative. I don't use anything that doesn't let me load it completely on my computer, no cloud or other BS acceptable to me. There's also no preview of any kind (at least I couldn't find one) to see what it offers.
I'm not meaning to be negative regarding your post.

Willie,

No negativity taken. I wouldn't use it either (I have a simple Excel spreadsheet), I just threw it out there if anybody was interested in taking a look at it.

I downloaded this software for Easy Model Railroad Inventory along with the instruction manual for using it.

I'm an older fellow who has some problems with trying to learn things just from a manual posted on the internet. I was trying to make a hard copy of portions on the instruction manual, But I keep getting a message from my printer,...
"this job requires more memory than is available in this printer"...etc

How do I make a copy I can read in print rather that just on the computer?

But I keep getting a message from my printer,...
"this job requires more memory than is available in this printer"...etc

How do I make a copy I can read in print rather that just on the computer?

Try printing certain pages at a time instead of the whole thing at once. When you got to print, tell it to print pages 1-10.

Back