Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray, you can configure both of those NS engines to start up and shut down on their own, independently. It's called smart start, and it can be off, on "one minute" and on "two minute".
It adds to the realism when those things do their fuel-saver shutdowns, and "air pressure/temperature too low" startups.
When I got the Kato, it was programmed to go through the startup sequence at every and any turning off of track power, and not move until it had gone through all that "pallaver", the IM was not. That was OK at original startup but short drop outs would do the same thing. I turned that off. The IM ES44AC, on the other hand will move directly after power restoration, but still insists on going through the startup sounds, which in it's case, take forever. Not so smart. That's actually something I like with Tsunami, you can set them to recover from a power drop out at a percentage of the speed it was travelling at prior and the sound picks up from that. Doesn't apply to long shutoffs, like a short that doesn't get fixed quickly, but minor deadspots.
The way I have my Tsunami equipped locos, and more by chance than design, the settings have made them so when placed on powered track of having the power turned on, they remain silent till addressed and having the throttle advanced to Spd step1, and then they go through startup.

What you're talking about though is something different again, this would be when an engine is standing idle for some time I would imagine, Could be interesting.

"Thank you for calling MTH Trains, home of the best model trains in the world. Please hold, and your call will be ignored in the order in which is was received".
So you're saying that to get noticed I should hire a drone, tie the message to a brick, and deliver it through a window? Or just aim the drone at the window?

Good Morning All. 50° and some clouds. Temperatures right now and for the next ten days are about 15° below average; this global warming kinda sucks.
Beautiful sunrise here this morning.
10-21-18 028.JPG

Getting back to normal life here. Wife was going to get the mail yesterday, mailbox is 1.1 miles away and she came back in quickly and said that the car wouldn't go forward. ?!&%?#@ I said. So I went out to take a look. Well duh! Here's what she did.
10-21-18 031.JPG

One would think that after living here for 37 years you should know better than to do this, especially since she has seen this result before when the ground is saturated. Putting the car into "Low" instead of "Drive" did the trick immediately. Of course now it's up to me to fix the yard!
Out in the train shed, I mostly ran trains because I was not ready to resume any projects. I did disorganize the workbench since it's happier that way, and dusted off a few freight cars.

Karl - Get well soon.
Sherrel - That Atchafalaya bridge isn't even the longest in the US, there's two others that are longer, both also in Louisiana, the Manchac Swamp Bridge at 22.8 mi, and the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway at 23.8 mi. I rode across the Lake Pontchartrain bridge as a kid back in 1959, when it was brand new.
Ray -
26 faulty trucks on 29 cars is a disgrace, and I shall be telling MTH so.
Reinforces my belief that MTH really doesn't care about consumers. Be careful though, they might file a lawsuit against you. I refuse to own any of their products for a variety of reasons.

Today is "National Reptile Awareness Day", well I hope so! Everybody have a great day.

Willie, was the National Reptile Awareness Day a jab at the owner of MTH? If so, it was great!

Morning Rail Lovers! 63 this mid morning and 83 for a high today. Yesterday was topped outat 87 degrees.
Of course - the sky is tremendously clear.
Pulled my back yesterday working in the back yard. I have no idea when/where/or how ...all I know is that it hurts to move in just about any direction except straight ahead? More or less the middle rib cage both sides? - RATS!
Just about done with getting it back in shape for the winter .. collected about 7.5 gal of beans/seeds - had to dump my 4gal shop vac twice + a couple more gal that were swept up. OK - on to something else now.

I need to find a new source for my lotto tickets -- I don't believe that the ticket machine in the local liquer store is connected to anywhere? Out of 4 tickets on two drawings - I did not get a single number! A blind squirrel could do better!

Willie -- Thanks for the info on the bridges .. I enjoy learning things like that even though it probably will not be of any use to me - in the meantime, it pushes out of my mind something else that I really needed to remember.
I also agree on the medications you mentioned. Out of 10 that I take daily - I have seriously thought about quitting at least 5 of them - maybe I will do a little more research first.

Hope everyone is doing well today - saw where the Dodgers are heading to the Series but I have never been a Dodgers fan .... Johnny will be happy!

Good morning. Started the day off at 39 degrees and are expected to be up into the mid 60's again today. Being that it was so nice out yesterday, I put the snow plow on the tractor and put the tire chaing on. I found a ser of tire chain binders on Amazon for $13 that worked really well. I had ones in the past that were rubber, but withing a year, they started cracking, but these are all metal using springs instead of rubber.

Greg - I also liked the weathered decking that Ray had done looks fantastic. May have to try some myself.

Ray - The MTH cars seem to be a problem. I have never bought any of them, but with what you've mentioned,. think I'll have to pass on them. Also sorry to hear about the camera woes.

Sherrel
- Sorry to hear about the back. I've had that happen before. Maybe you should gather up all of the seeds and drop them on the doorstep of some of the HOA officials.

Willie - Like the sunset photo. Sweet. Also liked the bridge photo.

Did get over to the club last night and had an interest night. Here are two of the locomotives that I ran.

20181020_192705.jpg 20181020_200538.jpg

Ray - Had a few MRL trains running last night.

20181020_202719.jpg 20181020_202741.jpg

Here aree some MRL helpers that Dewey uses to help his long trains up the grades on the layout. Part of the front coupler has been removed so the helper doesn't couple to the rear of the train and can just back off at the top of the grade and return to the helper siding.

20181020_202131.jpg 20181020_202410.jpg 20181020_202423.jpg

WE don't have many derailment at the club, but when we do, they are usually a doozie. I was at another part of the layout when I heard people hollering STOP, STOP, STOP. It was a doozie of a derailment. The rear of this 60 some car train is in the upper right of the photo.

20181020_203504.jpg Time to go home. doh.gif

Here's a rail picture for today.

afternoon-dark-clouds-gravel-358258.jpg

Later

Not for nothing, Mike Wolf doesn't market to serious model railroaders. He is most comfortable with Hi-Railers and Collectors - some of which never open the packaging. I have one of his 60' flat cars with front end loader, and an operating M&Ms car both gifts from family.

Oh yea, I also have one of his o-31 masterpieces. The F40 puked the third Christmas, and MTH told me it was no longer supported.

Simple Solution, don't patronize, if you don't like.

Boris

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then worked on my build. Today I painted the stucco with Tamiya white (thinned). It looked too shiny so I gave it a coat of A&I to grub it up. I installed the rest of the doors and windows on the first floor. I also put together the roof base and painted the edges. The next step is to build two platforms that go on the front of the building then probably lighting before the roof goes on.

Toot- Sorry to hear of your continuing issues with your camera and MTH cars.

Terry- I have been told by several people that I know about the lousy customer service you get from MTH, so I have never bought any of their products. One modeler bought several locos from them and immediately replaced their electronics with WOW boards.

Willie- Maybe your wife is still in vacation mode and forgot about the wet ground.

Chet- Great club photos. Looks like a good sized derail.

Joe- I feel that way also. If I don't like a TV show or product I don't watch it or buy it, but I don't try to make everyone else do the same.

20181021_142241-3024x2268.jpg

20181021_142341-2268x3024.jpg

20181021_142837-3024x2268.jpg

20181021_142114-2268x3024.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Just to comment on the MTH flatcars, the first 5 Dozers I mounted to them, all of those cars came from the first run of 10 years ago, the new lot are only the 2nd run ever done. Comparing the trucks shows cost cutting and "dumbing down" has been done with the axles (I would think the changes to manufacturing procedure would out weigh any financial gain). They are still only single wheel insulated, but the insulator and the projection on the wheel's back, is much bigger than on the new ones, making them much, much easier to identify which is which.
The originals I can identify in a glance, the new ones require a flashlight, and even then can be difficult. No wonder the assemblers have got them wrong.

Boris, I agree with not supporting MTH, but in this case, these cars are the only accurate representation of the prototype on the market. No-one else's are as correct or as well detailed, or in the case of both releases, as well priced. I doubt there will be a repeat of them again for another 10 years, minimum. I think that will guarantee me out as a future customer.

I agree with not supporting MTH, but in this case,

Ray, I fully understand your reason. In all likelihood If I was in your shoes, I would take the same risk. Of course, MTH is not the only importer / vendor with QC issues. It's just that his attitude turns me off. To him it's just business, but to the prototype modelers the hobby is more than that. Ergo, a clash of expectations. These vendors forget that we don't have to buy from them.

My comment was not just limited to MTH, but any Vendor / Importer who fails to support their product. The problem is not just limited to our model railroad hobby, but across the spectrum.

Curt: Nice work. The structure is coming together.

Boris

Well -- It's happened!
Today the gaggle of political ads kicked into high overdrive.
During the evening news on one of the LA stations ... I witnessed the same political ad 5 times in one hour!
Surely we shall be brainwashed into a mindless blob before the next two weeks is finished?
Never have I witnessed such blatant out-and-out lies in my life!

Good morning. It's clear and 33.

Sherrel, I thought you had a single-party system there, and elections were unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back