Algoma Central Station Wawa, Ontario

cv_acr

I've been working on this structure for a while, but this week I've taken it off the back burner to get some painting done, colouring the brick and trimwork.

037-500x326.jpg

039-500x308.jpg

The brick was coloured by first spraying the model with grey primer and then drybrushing the brick colour over the grey, leaving the brick faces coloured and the mortar lines in grey. The brick colour is two different shades of tan-brown craft store acrylic randomly mixed together on a pallet. (Comparing to a printout of a screen capture image of a video, I picked out a pair of colours called “Honeycomb” and “Coffee Latte” – these were just eyeballed against the printed image.)

Unpainted "before" shot (and also the roof is unfinished and the chimney missing in this shot):

020-500x375.jpg

Thanks Mike. Here's where I am now...

A bit more work with paint and gravel and the roof of the station is now surfaced.

Actually flat or not, the technique for making the tar and gravel roof is pretty simple. After applying a thick brush coat of black paint (just regular flat black acrylic) and while the paint is still wet, sprinkle on a liberal coating of gravel and let sit. I used some fine ballast which I sifted to make sure I was only left with the finest grains. The effect is good, however it’s still a bit coarse actually for a gravel roof. I may yet scrape this off and re-do it with finer hand-sifted natural materials – I’ll have to sleep on that idea yet for a bit – but the technique is still sound.

010-2-500x375.jpg

009-2-500x375.jpg

Rewinding a bit, it will be noted that most "flat" roofs will not actually be perfectly flat, but slope at least a few inches to allow water to run off and drain. Once the gravel surface is applied, the slope almost completely disappears, but I did add all of the proper drainage sloping to this roof.

While the real building itself is long torn down, the original architectural blueprints actually still exist in the Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario public library archives, so I was fortunate enough to use copies of that original reference to build this structure and lay out the roof exactly as shown on the original drawings.

Recessed sub-roof with 2x6 risers around the perimeter to establish elevation of the sloping roof:

004-500x375.jpg

Adding roof sections:

088-500x375.jpg

Seams and cracks filled with body putty:

104-500x375.jpg

Upper floor siding:

027-500x285.jpg

026-500x285.jpg

The prototype structure had cedar-grain asbestos shingle siding, which I represented by cutting strips from grey cardstock.

8'x8' roll up freight doors for the baggage room (front and back):

005-2-500x375.jpg

Scratchbuilt from .020" styrene sheet and .010x.030" trim. Outer door frame is .020x.060" strip.

Airbushed Southern Sylvan Green:

013-4-500x375.jpg

Front (track side) door and corner posts installed:

015-2-500x375.jpg

Back