Family Portrait

Aerojet

Well the Village of Defar fire station is finally done, and now needs to be connected up to the grid so the lights work.

Shown out front is the Defar Fire Apparatus-

Tanker 14 - a 3000 gallon unit with a Waterous 1250 GPM pump - it is the third engine out for a second alarm, or serves as a water tender. It has the yellow dump tank on top, and two ground ladders on the curb side, and is ready for action either with our crews or as mutual aid.

Engine 16 - The attack engine, it has a 500 gallon booster tank, a Waterous 1250 GPM pump, has a deck gun which can dump 250 GPM on a fire, carries drafting hoses if it need to work alone, but usually with Tanker 14 - carries 5 fire fighters.

Rescue 2 - Our heavy rescue unit. This goes out for any major need like building collapse, confined space rescue, technical rope rescue, major car wrecks, and other things which need tools and man power. Carries six firefighters in the back.

Tele Squirt 21 - Our big aerial ladder, with a 300 GPM nozzle on the end. Great for surround and drown action. It has it 's own Waterous 1250 GPM pump, and a 700 gallon booster tank. This also carries the 300 feet of ground and roof ladders, and the two attic ladders. Four firemen cramp in the cab for the ride.

Medic 1 - Our ambulance

Chief - Defar's Fire Chief Bill Webb's car. First out on all commercial calls and big residential fires.

IMG_0580.JPG

Had to move the bridge to get this all in -- That is James St. going off the cliff. It normally extends into the adjoining section of the village, but here due to space limitations it ends at the tracks. There should be another bridge but there is not enough room for all.

Okay - this is a model railroad. I tried to get as much information on fire apparatus when I set this department up so it would look life like to the people who drop over here for keys or to have their locks worked on. many are from the local fire departments and I did not feel like trying to explain what I was doing. it is self explanatory to them - - and now you!

When trying for realistic scenes I did a lot research, and watched lots of videos were watched to get the action right.

Enjoy!

The Aerojet

Last edited:
Actually, they all DO. You double up each position, and they fit fine. I have seen several of the fire departments around here with small building and large fleets do that. Basically, put the first unit in, and I use a spacer of 2 feet HO scale from the wall - then put the spacer next to that unit and add the next one. AND so on.

So where does the rescue unit sit? It is behind the door. It doesn't go out often, and when it is needed it can go out thru either door. The ambo unit goes out the most, so it sits right in front of the door, ready to go.

Don't think that a fire house today is a royal space. It used to be that one piece of apparatus per exit door. With today's tight budgets and the needs of service calls more apparatus is being crammed into smaller fire houses. Think City Garage, or in the case Fire Garage. The units are far enough back from the door that when the first leaves the rest can follow with a slight turn to get out the door

IMG_0581.JPG

Like this! Trust me, I have been visiting a lot of smaller fire departments in the Lake Country area and this is how they are doing it unless they built a new station in the past few years. Most volunteer departments are parked in the garage just like this.

Thanks for the Ambo information. I ordered one, and will have it in house next week or so, Watch for it on future fire scenes.

I was hoping for a Caddy, since I served for almost 10 years on the Seymour Ambulance crew out of 76th and Beecher when we had the shop down there. Just a good memory of by gone days.

The Aerojet

Last edited:
Both Neo and Busch made 1/87 scale 1966 Cadillac ambulances. The Neo version was probably a bit more accurate and detailed, but its been discontinued for several years. Neo also made it in larger scales so when you find one, double check the scale.
NEO
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadillac-ambulance-white-Ready-made-Limited/dp/B008I2ULMY

The latest release of the Busch 1966 Cadillac ambulance wasn't bad, but it too is probably out of production.
http://www.depsite.eu/Busch-42914-CADILLAC-US-AMBULANCE-187/en
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Busch-4290...h=item5d83eb79b4:g:dH4AAOSwd6pbkDwB:rk:4:pf:0

Busch also makes or made a 1950 Cadillac ambulance, but I don't think the paint scheme looks period correct.
http://www.sjaakshobbyshop.nl/index...o&cPath=270_184_623_627_624&products_id=40471

Last edited:

Back