Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Details surrounding this accident. The photo was actually taken by the driver. Believe it or not the road collapse saved his life. He hit high water in that spot. High enough that it was filling up the cab of the truck. He was unable to get out at that point. The road collapsed and diverted all the water so he could get out. He's lucky for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20180920_122132_01.jpg
    IMG_20180920_122132_01.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 143
Good Afternoon,

I made it home without issue except very heavy heavy traffic in a couple of locations yesterday. I took I-66 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 and my normal route from there.

The trip lasted 39 days and boy am I glad to be home.

Curt. ... glad to hear you are home safely .

Chet ... thanks for commenting on my photo.

Justin ... I bet the driver appreciates life a lot after that accident .

After toying with us all day with light intermittent sprinkles, Mother Nature let loose with 2" of rain in the last 35 minutes. Expect a short break and then it looks like it will resume around sunset. Yard is flooded but it should drain off in about an hour. Flash flood watch has been changed to a warning although it won't affect me much.

Curt - I'm sure that you're glad to be back home and safe.

Some days it would seem, it's best to not go to the club. A series of mishaps, some not much, but just to add anoyance. We seem to have inherited a member from the other club I belonged to, who was well known for not watching the front end of his train, allied to a liking for long ones. I recall no amount of reminding him, effected a change in behaviour there either. Another was because of the painting going on inside the clubhouse, someone decided to prime a couple of timber railings across a window on the wall between the layout room and the later added, library extension. It's quite narrow there, A sign had been taped to the window's glass. This is also right where the pass through the layout divider reversing track is. I had chosen to do this manouvre, coming through from the other side (the inside track). Normally there is stuff under layout, but today it was clear, so instead of walking all the way around, I crawled under. You can guess where I put my hand to help myself back up again. Oil paint too, not water cleanup.

The worst happening, involved my latest Cat Dozer on MTH flatcar project. When I build trains in the staging yard, I always start with the loco or locos, if consisting. Get them running, consisted and tested first, before attaching rolling stock. While doing that I turn the track power to that rail off to save the noise from idling engines. Got all my flats with loads and a few others on, nothing big this time and turned the power back on and began to roll out. About 5 turnouts to traverse to get onto the main line up the spiral. The 2 engines hesitated a couple of times and then began bucking and jerking as the power was increased to climb the grade. Stopped it and checked the light bulbs under the layout's edge for a short, Yes, there was one. The aforementioned fellow had just put his FRED car on the back of his long train, so checked that first. Nope, not that. Couldn't see anyting else off, so tried to move mine again, same thing. Went back over mine, and dicovered a truck on the newly built car, had derailed on the last turnout. Put it back on and tried again. As it moved the same thing, with the lights flickering, so I picked the car up to inspect it.

Now these cars come with all metal trucks etc, i.e. the only non-metal parts are the wheel insulators, and they are also sprung. Looked at them, all looked OK, could see what looked like the collars of insulators on all 4 wheels, but then I tried to wiggle the trucks, only one was loose, the other was firmly stuck to the truck and was HOT. I always carry a small flashlight so I can check to see if all the locos wheels in a consist are rolling, it's not uncommon for one or two to drop out, because of short circuits.

Backed the train into the yard out of the way and took the offender to the work bench. In the bright light of the flaslight, it was revealed that only one side's wheels had insulators, the collar on the other side was part of the wheel. The reason for the short? The insulators were on opposite sides in the metal side frames. This wouldn't be any trouble with plastic trucks to swap over, but these side frames and wheel sets also have rotating, pressed on plastic bearing caps on the ends of the axles that pass through the side frames and the only way to remove wheels and axles is to take the side frames off, which involves removing the springs that also keep the bolster in place and everything else in place as well.. Fortunately the damage to the car itself (melted boss where the truck pivots) looks repairable with a Kadee washer. The pivot sleeves the truck swings on and the securing screw goes into is also metal, with the thread tapped into it. It actually appears to be a small spring pin of the type used in engineering as a locating and securing dowel. Doesn't at first viewing seem to have come loose. It may be spot welded to a steel piece running within the center of car, between the 2 of them, before being encased in the plastic body. Least that's what I hope.

This is definitely a factory fault in assembly, but the circumstances of any damage to the car from the short circuit is the fault of relying on light bulbs for short protection and not the circuit breaker which would have cut all power to the track. So a warranty claim would be void anyway. Hopefully, considering I just spent the last week's spare time building this car and load it can be salvaged successfully. It also lost a bearing spinner. this being the 3rd.

About the only thing I can ask MTH for is a bucket load of axle caps.

Good morning. It's clear and 68.
Happy US National Public Lands Day. Many National parks are offering free admission today.

Good Morning All. 72° and raining. 8.5" of rain in the last 14 hours. Radar indicates that it is not raining one mile south or west of my location, so this will shortly let up for a while. Flash flood warning has been changed to an advisory, which I think is worse. It will be interesting to see things after the sun rises, although my nearly level yard cannot flood any more than yesterday evening, but that doesn't last long once the rain stops. Ditch out front along the road just can't take it all at once. House, garden and train shed are slightly higher as well as a bit of the back yard and driveway.
Our two and a half year old granddaughter passed a milestone last night. It marks the first time in her life that she spent the night away from home without her parents. We're keeping her again tonight. My daughter was really concerned but we pointed out that we had raised her and two siblings successfully. We did spend some time last week "kid-proofing" the house though, including a back door alarm that she purchased for us. Note to self: two year old kids do not stop talking unless they are asleep.
I did manage to weed-eat some of the area before the rain started yesterday morning, and I also spent time cleaning up some of the dust and stuff that the contractor left behind when he redid the other bathroom ceiling. I had him do some minor extra stuff to the house while the first coat of paint dried, rather than have him sit around texting.
Out in the train shed yesterday, Charlotte visited a couple of times. She only watches one train run from end to end, but this time she was free to roam (normally her daddy carries her), and she was enthralled by all of the little vehicles that she could touch, with my permission. She did prove to be an inquisitive soul when sitting in my lap at the workbench and asking about all of the tools, bottles and paintbrushes. I demonstrated why she wasn't allowed to touch Exacto knives by slitting paper and she threw up her hands in horror! Earlier in the day I did work on the chain link fence some more, I finished gluing the first 18" of fencing to the posts and drilled holes for and added the last eight posts. Next step is to cut and paint the next 18" of tulle for more.

Ray - Did your post yesterday read the way I think it did? A driverless train was purposely derailed in Tasmania because it was going too fast?
Well, looks like Murphy took some time to visit down-under at the club.
Garry - Nice model of the El Camino yesterday. I've seen your supermarket before, but yesterday is the first time that I noticed the S&H green stamps sign. A great touch. Something that I need to add to a small grocery store, even though their time may have passed by my era. I am not a true stickler of time for everything.
Chet - Good luck at the tournament.
Sherrel - Come and get some of this rain before it disappears! It's more than I need. Pool's been overflowing since last night.
Justin - Lucky driver, but what was he doing driving into high water? Is the truck coming back to you for repair?

Everybody have a great day.

Ray - Did your post yesterday read the way I think it did? A driverless train was purposely derailed in Tasmania because it was going too fast?
Well, looks like Murphy took some time to visit down-under at the club.
Yep, that's what it said, going at 50kph (30MPH), 3 times as fast as it would normally in that area. I still wonder how it hit someone without serious injuries. Even if it was almost stopped there's a lot of mass to get hit with.

Good morning gang
Warm sunny morning. Have to put up 100 ft of new fence wire mesh today, so I can let the pup run free!!

We've discovered Medicare will not pay for a portable oxygen machine, and we can't afford the nearly $3000 price tag of a new one. It seems to be illegal to sell one, even your own used one, without a license here.

Howdy .....

Terry ..... That's bad news... I'm surprised Medicare will to pay for that. ... Is there a way to appeal the decision ?

Willie ... The supermarket kit came with an assortment of window stickers, and I saw the S&H stamps sign was one of them.... I recall S&H stamps in stores and gas stations.

Toot .... I can see why some wheel sets have metal wheels on plastic axles . What you described is not a good design.

Karl ... Good to hear the pup will have a place to run.

The Southern Railway operated two passenger trains daily from Cincinnati via Chattanooga and Atlanta to Jacksonville, FL.

The Ponce de Leon ...

44083325874_8d253dfbb3_b.jpg

The Royal Palm

30931910508_646544cd17_b.jpg

The SOU line between Cincinnati and Chattanooga was called the Rat Hole Division . SD24's like the one below were assigned to that line for freight service.

29873855687_831ba402b8_b.jpg

Howdy .....

Terry ..... That's bad news... I'm surprised Medicare will to pay for that. ... Is there a way to appeal the decision ?

Willie ... The supermarket kit came with an assortment of window stickers, and I saw the S&H stamps sign was one of them.... I recall S&H stamps in stores and gas stations.

Toot .... I can see why some wheel sets have metal wheels on plastic axles . What you described is not a good design.

Karl ... Good to hear the pup will have a place to run.

The Southern Railway operated two passenger trains daily from Cincinnati via Chattanooga and Atlanta to Jacksonville, FL.

The Ponce de Leon ...

44083325874_8d253dfbb3_b.jpg

The Royal Palm

30931910508_646544cd17_b.jpg

The SOU line between Cincinnati and Chattanooga was called the Rat Hole Division . SD24's like the one below were assigned to that line for freight service.

29873855687_831ba402b8_b.jpg
Southern did a lot of upgrades to that part of the CNO&TP from 1962-1964, getting rid of a lot of the claustrophobic tunnels, bypassing some, daylighting others, and straightening out more than a few curves in the process.

Afternoon All,

Watching Navy/SMU in OT. Never mind Navy just lost. Did a bunch of chores earlier and now relaxing. I ordered a FOS scale kit last night called Preston Printers. I am removing the Walthers meat packing plant and cattle pens. I figure to put 3 new buildings in their place.

Willie- Sounds like a fun time with the grand daughter. Please post a picture of your fence.

Garry- Nice grocery and vehicles. Also great 1:1 photos.

Chet- Good luck bowling.

Toot- My question is, if you are purposely derailing a runaway why are people standing around? Good luck getting your rail car repaired.

Terry- Sorry to hear about your wife's O2. It doesn't make sense to me.

I hope everyone has a good night.

If it had insulation on both wheels of the axle, it would be fine, very little chance then of creating a path to a short, or in having an accidental installation of the axles. Can't imagine it would cost more than a cent per, to do that. I don't know if these are an MTH specific manufacture, the only other brand I know of is Kaydee.

The Royal Palm? Now...that has to be a train for gamblers on it's way to Los Vegas.

Good evening. It's sprinkling rain and 84.
Murphy has returned to my layout today. I have a pair of Rapido GMD-1 engines, one CN, the other FCC. Rapido sent me a CN shell to replace the FCC one, which I did this afternoon. After I did this, I ran the engine around the layout. It made it halfway around, and the motor went *poof*. All lights work, sound works, but no movement. I removed the decoder, and tried another one. No change. I removed that decoder, and installed the 21 pin dummy plug that came with the engine. No change. There are lights, but no movement, and no indication the motor is doing anything. Even on the layout, if an engine has no decoder, the motor will make a high-pitched singing sound when the DCC system is powered up. I then connected DC power directly to the motor leads, and got nothing.
I'll give Jason a call Monday, maybe they can send a motor to me, without my having to spend another $42 to send it back to them.
Sigh...

Toot- My question is, if you are purposely derailing a runaway why are people standing around?
Their was no explanation for that, the only conclusion I could imagine would be that there must have been a derail switch in the track at that spot. It said they'd lost control of the train. Whether there is a visual connection from the train to it's remote controller is another question as to whether they were aware of the pedestrians, or whether they had a choice of where to derail it to stop it, are other possiblities. I tried to take a screen shot of the Google satellite view of the area without success, but in tracing the tracks from opposite the Ferry Terminal in the direction the train was travelling, shows them turning left into and through the city, so probably the last chance they had, to prevent a major damaging derailment.

Evening fellers. Made a trip to Lexington VA today to see some family. Made it back here from that just a little bit ago. Getting some rain the next few days. I did score a train related item. Nothing Chessie related but I liked it enough to buy it. As for the truck wreck. I won't see it coming to me. I'm pretty sure that one was out of our Charlotte location. I'd venture to say he was trying to make it back in but fell victim to the weather.

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_183841083.jpg
    IMG_20180922_183841083.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 148
It's been a rough day rainwise. Two miles south and four miles west, it hasn't rained since before noon, but everything stalled out over me.
Front yard!
rain 09-22-18 001.JPG

Another view.
rain 09-22-18 002.JPG

Playing heck with the septic system right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back