Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon....well almost afternoon...overcast and again wet in Wisconsin, but nothing to compare to the areas affected by Florence! I been in floods and the damage toll is unbelievable and like Chet said earlier, it will take years for the people and area to recover.

Down to the layout to run the Milwaukee, Racine & Troy GE Dash 8-40BW. Great running locomotive with excellent sound since with the large chassis Atlas was able to install a LokSound decoder and Premium speakers. Start up sounds match the prototype. Good slow speeds and quiet. One problem is that I couldn't get the ditch lights to operate...well read the instructions first. The instructions indicate that the Function 6 button must be pressed to turn on the ditch lights. When I finish on the PC I'll try and see if that works.

Later, I want to test run a new Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern locomotive which if I remember correctly is a GP38-2.

More work on the junk yard since yesterday I installed and glued in place the fencing. Have most of the "Junk" ready for the yard. Need to add some ground foam in areas to cover the unfinished areas. One or two LED lamp poles are set to be installed as well.

First project is to glue a rear view mirror to my new beer truck...right now its missing a mirror and the HO Highway Patrol has issued the truck driver several Equipment Violation tickets.

That's all for now....

Greg

##############################

C&NW at Omro Junk Yard.JPG

A new C&NW gondola awaits the local switcher to move the car from the Omro Junk Yard loading area.

Just a note: That C&NW gondola in the picture above really shows how a unnatural a fresh out of the box piece of rolling stock looks....needs painted wheel sets, DullKote, some weathering and minor body damage. The next time you see this equipment it will look like its been earning its keep on the railroad.

Greg

Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 84.
Today turned into a crapshow at work. Insurance companies are refusing to write new policies because of the flooding from Florence, so nobody can take possession of a home, travel trailer, boat, or other insurable property. That isn't stopping our F&I department from continuing to make appointments for people to come in and buy trailers they can't take with them.They are very careful not to mention this fact until after the customer has signed all their paperwork, and submitted payment. At that time, the F&I manager breaks the bad news to them. There have been some unhappy customers over this.
The worst was today, where our sales department processed all the paperwork for the wrong trailer for a customer that lost their home in the storm, and was planning to live in the trailer while their house was repaired or replaced. After much screaming, cursing, and threatening, I was finally able to get the people calmed down enough to allow us to prepare the correct trailer for them. After doing all the work, installing a trailer hitch, orientation, test drive, and completing their paperwork, the F&I manager sprung the "I'm sorry, but you can't take the trailer, because you can't get insurance" story on them. I'm sure y'all know what the outcome of THAT was. Of course, the F&I department had all the paperwork signed, with the people contractually obligated to own this trailer that they can't take with them, and they're still homeless after spending $105,000.00 on a travel trailer. To say we have an unhappy set of customers would be the biggest understatement of the year. Of course, F&I has the people's money, so they don't care that the rest of the company has to deal with the consequences of this.
I do not know what kind of company you work for but would think that this could be considered fraud for selling something the owner can not take possession of after signing paperwork for the sale and not being advised that they can not get insurance so that they can not have the item.

Another advantage to rescue dogs, most are already house broken!
Same with rescue cats. Our fur baby was about 3 years old when we rescued her from the LCHS(Lincoln County Humane Society) about 3.5 years ago. She had been passed from one home to another(3 in total) within the same family. When she was surrendered to the HS, the woman indicated that she did not get along with the family dog. More likely that she did not get along with another cat. Anytime she sees another cat(even if the other cat is outside & across the parking lot), she screeches & her tail puffes up. She was already litter box trained, fixed & fully declawed :( when she adopted us. She is a great emotional support for me when I'm home alone(I have depression, vertigo, anxiety & other issues).
IMG_1974.JPG

I do not know what kind of company you work for but would think that this could be considered fraud for selling something the owner can not take possession of after signing paperwork for the sale and not being advised that they can not get insurance so that they can not have the item.
In the current situation with the disaster left by Florence, I can't see how an act of sheer bastardry and greed by the salesmen of this business, can or will escape the notice of News organisations in this day and age. I'd be worried about how the consequences is going to affect my job's security from being impinged by their actions. Maybe they think that will cause their activities to go unnoticed. It won't take much to blow that expectation out of the water (pun intended).

Another consideration for the people so duped. If they can't get insurance to take their purchase out on the road, who is able to get insurance for these trailers while they sit in the yard. Will the firm's insurance cover them from damage, theft or any other cirumstance whilst there, not now being their owners? Has the firm , by it's actions, defrauded these customers from being able to obtain, even that protection?

Last edited:
Good afternoon ...

Mike Hub City ..... We have had dogs and cats over the years. At his stage, cats make more sense than dogs. We have three cats.... One rescued from OH. one rescued from TN, and one rescued from KY..... They are great companions for us and for each other. .... Sounds like you have issues. Prayers for you.

Everybody .... You might appreciate this photo.

43900996445_825bacab5e_b.jpg

Johnny ... if you are considering a vacation for the KY dinner train, there are other places of interest . I mentioned the KY railroad museum. All are not far from I-65. Other places nearby are Abe Lincoln’s birthplace and Mamouth Cave. Bowling Green has the Corvette Museum and also a small railroad museum with a short L&N passenger train with an E-unit.

Everybody, speaking of trips. We are thinking of going to Utah for the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike. UP expects to have a Big Boy operating then . ... Would any of you be interested in going there for that ?

Greg ... I like your tunnel scene.
I was talking with MOH about taking the Zephyr(& connrct with the Coast Starlight & the Surfliner) out there for that, but it all depends on if I have enough PTO available by then(& if our budget allows). We want to make that as one of a few side trips. We want to also go to Coors Field, Petco Park & Chavez Ravine(we're huge Dodger fans).

Good evening, it's cloudy and 86.
It seems the insurance companies are relaxing somewhat, two of the collection of limbo trailers were able to leave today.
Four to go...

Terry - I feel your pain, I once found myself working for a slimeball software reseller and wanted desperately to leave them after my first few days there. But my wife had just given birth to our first child and was on maternity leave, and my income was needed to pay the bills for all three of us!

Been up to my eyeballs in yet another loco repainting project, I try to visit here more often after I finish with that...

Good evening, it's cloudy and 86.
It seems the insurance companies are relaxing somewhat, two of the collection of limbo trailers were able to leave today.
Four to go...
Some panicked calls being made eh! Very unhappy and threatening customers on the line, once they'd had time to get over the initial shock and collect their thoughts. Also maybe look at their options.

Reports of a driverless train, having to be derailed in Devonport in northern Tasmania. Control had been lost and it was travelling at a speed of 30mph, 3 times more than normal for the area it was in. 2 pedestrians on the pathway between the tracks and water's edge got lightly injured according to the report.
1537508145608.png

Damaged hoppers
1537508334244.png

The ship in the background is the Bass Straight Ferry between Tasmania and Victoria on the mainland.

Good morning everyone. 74 and partly cloudy out there.

Got the annual doctor visit today - fasting until then. Don't mind them taking blood 'cause that just makes more room in my veins for coffee o_O

All I got done last night was a little more scenicking on the layout. Got the local club's train show tomorrow. I'll post photos next week.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning fellers. Last day of the heat here in my neck of the woods. Thank goodness it's finally Friday! Stumbled on to a picture I'd like to share with yall. Dont know much about this unit.
42274512_2041790419216722_3140283033735659520_n.jpg

Good Morning All. 75° and cloudy. Expecting 3" - 5" of rain both today and tomorrow due to some tropical depression moving in across Mexico from the Pacific. We're under a flash flood watch until Saturday night. Where was this stuff when I was adding water to the pool every other day this summer? I did manage to get some of the yard mowed ahead of this event as well as the minor shower around sunset last night. We've got this Pacific tropical depression coming from the west, another smaller one coming north from the Gulf, all colliding with a cold front headed south directly over North Central Texas.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I renewed the fence building effort. It's beginning to look like more than just a bunch of poles. Didn't have a lot of time out there, with the two hours mowing, household chores, the trip to town and moving all of the shiplap lumber into the shop. I did run some trains though before I got the final day in the pool.

Johnny - Batten down the hatches, all of this weather is heading your way after it's done here.
Chet - Wished that I had my camera yesterday when I went to the local hardware store. As I passed by the local Dairy Queen, I spotted a beautifully restored 1959 Chevrolet El Camino parked out front. I had to circle around behind (I was on a one way interstate frontage road) and return to get a closer look. The driver had just gotten back in and was leaving so I couldn't speak with him; it had Nebraska license plates. It was a spotless light blue with lots of chrome.

Everybody have a great Friday.

Good morning .

Justin ... I meant to comment on your photo yesterday of the truck crashing into a washout in the flood. I was glad to hear the driver survived okay.

Toot .... Interesting photos of the derailed runaway train.... Glad the people only had minor injuries.

Willie .... You mentioned being an El Camino ....

....... My El Camino is at the supermarket ...

36766398215_ff0a9b795a_b.jpg

Good morning. A chilly start to the day at 33 degrees, but the expected high is forecast to be in the mid 70's. Gall starts this evening.

Curt - Glad that you SIL had no damage and got home safely. How is you traveling going? Much of a detour with the flooding?

Garry - Nice photo,but I was never a fan of the El Camino.

It was interesting at the club yesterday being short handed and trying to run two trains at the same time. No wrecks, but with the layout being in three different rooms, I had to do a lot of running around. The last Thursday ops session for the year until the Museum opens again in the spring.

During the off season, the main level of the museum is used for other venues, such as weddings, parties and such.

Bowling league tonight and then tomorrow we head off to a tournament in Thompson Falls. A beautiful ride and I hope to do a lot of rail fanning on the trip.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Later

Good Morning - It's 64 degrees and clear.
Still holding to the 90 degree for the high .. yesterday was 89

My son, who works in the movie industry, stopped by and spent Wednesday night with me before returning home in Arizona.
It was good to see him - even if just for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back