Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was fitting for the Wizard of Wood, aka Sherrel.
1537102573123.png

Louis, do you have to stop and get a signature, or can you just drop-and-run, like UPS?
Most deliveries require no signature or anyone to be present.

For the record, I don't run, ever, anywhere. That's what bothers me. I am not fast, I just keep slowly moving. Why are so many complaining?

Last edited:
Customers can provide delivery instructions, otherwise it's knock, drop and go!

My favorite instructions are "Do not knock or ring bell" a my height I can reach most porches without going up the stairs :)

Good morning Everybody!

I'm on the road again. I worked yesterday and the day before!
I never paid attention to this song, but now I like it, thanks Terry.
If you ended up liking that, here's another one you can tap (or stomp) your feet to. Keith Emerson gets kind of carried away and goes off on his own around the 7 minute mark, and Carl Palmer does his best to wear out his drums:

If you ended up liking that, here's another one you can tap (or stomp) your feet to. Keith Emerson gets kind of carried away and goes off on his own around the 7 minute mark, and Carl Palmer does his best to wear out his drums:
ELP... I suppose they are among rock legends, but they never were favorites of mine.

This song from Greg Lack is one of my all-time favorites, but it's the only song on the album I like!

Good Morning Everyone. 71° and pretty darn cloudy. Looks like the rain was removed from today's forecast overnight. Yesterday's total was .6", giving me almost 2" in two days. Time to sharpen the mower blades again. Temperatures back into the 90's again for a few days. Whoopee! Looks like we can enjoy the pool for another 8-10 days.
Didn't make it to the train shed until after yesterday's rain started around 3:00, so I didn't do much scenery-wise. I did get a few more posts in and a few more glue connections on the top rail of the chain-link fence put in. I also resumed some installation of the fascia using the shed's steps as saw horses while it rained. Not ideal, but it works because of the seven foot wide porch overhang. My knees don't like it. As a diversion while glue was setting up, I continued to play around with structure arrangements on the 4+ sq. ft. piece of blank plywood that will be the next scenery project.
Here's what I am looking at.

09-16-18 002.JPG

And here is the assortment of structures that I have been building over the past three or so years that were earmarked for this area. You may remember seeing my posts regarding many of them.
09-16-18 003.JPG

All of them are laser-cut kits. This peninsula is the first thing that is seen when one enters the train shed after stooping under the "not-yet-removable" bridge. It's upper deck at eye level.
Step one is going to be painting and ballasting the track (main line only, plans for the other side have not been finalized yet) which I estimate should start before the end of the month. The other side of the track is my "workbench extension" for now.

Terry -
Bands of light rain, heavy at times. Winds 19 with gusts to 42.
I am not making light of the conditions in the hurricane zone, but that's not too bad, that's about an average thundershower around here like we experienced Friday.
That management decision sounds like E. Hunter Harrison made it! That's a nice looking trio though.
Enjoyed hearing that ELP cut again. Saw them in concert in the mid-70's sometime.
Joe - Good to read that your son is safe.
Sherrel - If Terry's correct, Happy Birthday to you.
1537104218118.png

Also good to hear that your family is safe as well.
Mikey - Nice progress on the barn.
Louis - Great pictures of all of the buses recently. I too was an avid bus rider (no choice) back in the 60's. Watch out with all that working and mowing...I've told you before.
Jimi believed his music was an expression of religion. Playing loud made him feel closer to God.
Getting high got him closer to God.

Everybody have a great day.

Howdy .... Coffee to go ... Headed to church soon.

Sherrel .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

Louis ... That is a nice photo of CB&Q.... That is near where I grew up. ... Burlington had a lot of cabooses like that one. They were built around 1900 to 1915 and some lasted until the Burlington Northern merger. ... Walthers had models of them in HO, and have have some. ... 9153 is an SW1 which often handled short way freight trains.

Willie ... Wow... You have been busy. I do recall your posting photos of some of them.... Each is exceptionally well built. ... Kudos.

Terry .... The 3 blue units look great. I noticed the roof details were slightly different on 6055 from the others. Makes it interesting.

Karl.... Sounds like a committee to name the dog..... Committees can never decide anything.... Time for you to assert your authority and name the dog.. ... LOL

Everybody .... Have a nice day...

Good Morning Everyone. 71° and pretty darn cloudy. Looks like the rain was removed from today's forecast overnight. Yesterday's total was .6", giving me almost 2" in two days. Time to sharpen the mower blades again. Temperatures back into the 90's again for a few days. Whoopee! Looks like we can enjoy the pool for another 8-10 days.
Didn't make it to the train shed until after yesterday's rain started around 3:00, so I didn't do much scenery-wise. I did get a few more posts in and a few more glue connections on the top rail of the chain-link fence put in. I also resumed some installation of the fascia using the shed's steps as saw horses while it rained. Not ideal, but it works because of the seven foot wide porch overhang. My knees don't like it. As a diversion while glue was setting up, I continued to play around with structure arrangements on the 4+ sq. ft. piece of blank plywood that will be the next scenery project.
Here's what I am looking at.

View attachment 30502

And here is the assortment of structures that I have been building over the past three or so years that were earmarked for this area. You may remember seeing my posts regarding many of them.
View attachment 30503

All of them are laser-cut kits. This peninsula is the first thing that is seen when one enters the train shed after stooping under the "not-yet-removable" bridge. It's upper deck at eye level.
Step one is going to be painting and ballasting the track (main line only, plans for the other side have not been finalized yet) which I estimate should start before the end of the month. The other side of the track is my "workbench extension" for now.

Louis - Great pictures of all of the buses recently. I too was an avid bus rider (no choice) back in the 60's. Watch out with all that working and mowing...I've told you before.

Getting high got him closer to God.

Everybody have a great day.

Jimi did not mention that on the episode of Dick Cavett I saw him on, but I do believe he had been "praying" before he came on the show ;)

Great pictures Willie! They really show off your railroad and what a great railroad it is! Really great work with all those different buildings.

I'm doing good, good appetite, everything is working ;) and today I am not working :)

Willie, it's not so much the wind, but the 10" of rain in my gauge so far, in addition to the wind, in an area not equipped to handle that much water at once. The wind then blows over trees because of the soft mud they are sitting in.

Willie, it's not so much the wind, but the 10" of rain in my gauge so far, in addition to the wind, in an area not equipped to handle that much water at once. The wind then blows over trees because of the soft mud they are sitting in.
I forgot that you posted about the trees a few days ago. If an area is not used to those rainfall totals then it can be a problem for sure. We get 10+" events about twice a year (usually over a two day period) and then go four months in between without a drop as seen earlier this year. Our trees are used to 30+ mph winds that we experience quite regularly here on the plains. The regular droughts force the tree roots to go much deeper which keeps them from falling over.

Good morning.

I-95, I-40 and Hwy 17 are all still impassible in Eastern NC, as Tropical Depression "Florence", (Flo?), meanders through the Carolinas.

The NWS has reduced the frequency of advisories to every 18 hours or so, and all the network hypesters can't wait to pack up and go home. Now, the real work begins, rebuilding all the damage. If it's anything like the aftermath of Sandy, the national relief agencies will head to where the TV cameras are still present, and ignore everywhere else.

My son, is naturally getting antsy, and the lack of contact from anyone there doesn't help. Again, based on our experiences with Sandy, it will be
three or four days, before the roads open, and longer, for power to be restored. His employer (US Navy), will probably not reopen until next week.

Meanwhile, I have utilized my son's strength and energy, to complete some landscaping projects. I have also completed two additional basic modules for my layout. Next step is to build a 38" long 20" wide module to fit where my electrical service box locates. I also have to modify an existing module and build one more 2'x4' module. Then I can build track and complete the railroad.

Sherrel: Happy Birthday!

Louis: I remember seeing Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad Buses back in the day.

Terry: Be careful.

Willie: I hear ya. However, sometimes, it don't work out that way.

Rant: Basically, when something like a Hurricane happens, people feel all alone. Information from government is arbitrary, "Leave"! , where do I go? That's your problem, you can't stay here! So off you go. If you don't have relatives close by, you're screwed. Now you're a refugee, just like those folks fleeing Syria. Government don't care, Government is politicians, interested only in their own image and their next election campaign. Government employees are tasked with enforcing the edicts of politicians. As Mr. Vanderbilt once said "The Public be Damned". We only kiss up to the public during election campaigns. Otherwise, they are in the way!

I still have resentments left over from Sandy. And I wasn't really harmed, other than loss of perishable food due to no electricity. First day mail was delivered, four days after the storm, there were three solicitations of "Urgently Needed" donations from relief agencies. Where were these people? I could have used some dry ice, they were over on the mostly unpopulated barrier islands, serving sandwiches to owners of beachfront second homes, who were surveying damage to their vacation and investment properties. This was where the TV Networks had set up. Several miles away, where year round residents were dealing with downed trees, no power, no water (wells), etc. no one showed up to help. We were on our own.
I feel for all the folks affected by Florence, contrary to popular opinion, these things don't happen all that often. They do however leave a lasting impression. The hard part is yet to come, long after the media jerks, and self serving do-gooders have gone, dealing with Insurance adjusters, interested only in reducing payouts, FEMA agents and their whims, clean-up and recovery. This is literally, a life changing event. Rant Ended.

Boris

Mikey, that's great -- weathered up that wood will look great.
Love the "foundation" it sits on!
(Forgot to hit the "post button" last night?)

Thanks for all the BD wishes - glad to still be here!

Last edited:
Good morning. 38degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the mid 70's.

Terry - Glad to see that you are atill able to post and that besides being on top of a hill, that you apparently have power. Sure hope things don't get as bad as predicted on the flooding. This storm is a massive hit to the Carolinas. Like the locomotives. Nice procurement.

Karl - Here's my 2 cents on a name for your dog. How about just "Dog".

Sherrel
- 548.gif train.gif

Louis -
I really liked all of the bus photos.. We never had bus service up here except for Greyhound. Still don't have any.

Joe
- Happy to see your SIL up with you and safe.

Willie -
Great photos. Thumb up.gif I think that these are the first that I have seen of a larger part of your layout. Previously you only posted small areas. Nice to see a bit more of it. Any more ???

I did manage to get the belt changed on my tractor after removing the mowing deck. What a pain in the a**. A nightmare. Husqvarna had no repair infop at all for this. I did download a PDF for the owners manual but it for the most part was useless. After about three house of working on my vocabulary of nasties, I finally got it back together, Almost. There was hardly any access at all. It would have been easy if I could have removed the PTO clutch, but it was impossible to remove the bolt holding it to the motor. All I did was turn th motor. Half a pint of blood later the job was complere, minus on piece which I believe was a guard for the belt. No way at all to get a bolt back in to secure it. It did make quite a difference. The tractor is around ten yers old and performance was getting sluggish. Now it runs like a scalded cat. Ready to plow snow with it.

Here's a rail picture for today.

train_tracks_to_the_moon_by_aubreyart-d9sjxyw.jpg

Later

Thought I would pass along some good news out of North Carolina.
1. Power has been restored to my son's neighborhood. Photo's indicate no structural damage or flooding.
2. The Walmart(s) in Jacksonville reopen this evening at 1700.
3. Marines based at MCAS New River anticipate resuming full operation on Wednesday.

Still no word as to the status at MCAs Cherry Point, and no word when the roads to Coastal North Carolina will open

We know Terry will not float away, the concern is loss of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back