Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Rivets, a modern marvel!
1536580302438.png

"For those that don't know "Old Rivets" was the original prototype of the GG1 made by General Electric produced with a riveted body. Raymond Lowe recommended the change to all welded bodies for more smooth look on the production runs."
The Iron Horsemen.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone. 66° and cloudy here in North Central Texas. Cool temperatures for a few more days. Pool season is over, water is 74° with no chance of warming back up until May. Time to add winterization chemicals and put the cover on. Maybe the garden will dry out enough in a couple of days to plant some fall crops. Still have some pepper and tomato plants that pulled through the heat and should start producing again.
Instead of a fancy restaurant for our 46th anniversary last night, my wife just wanted to go to our favorite local Italian restaurant instead. Leo, the owner, said to say hello to Sherrel and his wife Kate. Hello Sherrel & Kate! Leo previously owned a restaurant in Kate's home town in CA.
Earlier in the day, out in the train shed, I deployed the track crew for a bit of work. In the most recently laid staging yard on the upper level, I have been having derailment issues at a switch on one end. It's at the beginning of an elevation change to get it up to the level of the main. A 2" x 1/4" shim under the track joint along with adding the tie removed from the flex during installation fixed the problem. Per my usual practice, this area will still be in the "test" mode for a few more months before ballasting. I am ballasting this staging yard because I also intend to use it as a small classification yard in the future. Besides the main, it has a passing siding that could be instead used as an A/D track, two double-ended storage/classification tracks and two stub storage tracks, all but one of the tracks can hold 22+ cars/engines. I also have allowances for a switching lead at each end. The shortest stub track currently holds the MOW work train. Long term plans include moving this MOW train to various locations as an operations bottleneck in the future.
In other action, I continued to add ground foam and other scenery materials along the main where my current scenery project is. In order to tie this area into adjoining semi-finished areas, and complete those areas, I am going to have to construct nearly five feet of chain-link fencing. Certainly something to look forward to. The whole area will represent a series of partial backyards along the ROW when it is completed. The wide end will also contain outbuildings/garages etc., where they will fit. I took a "before" picture and will take some progress pictures along the way to post some day.

Garry - Thanks for the historical pictures at Ft Knox. "Herbie's" - Seems like I have read or heard that term before, but I cannot recollect what it meant, if anything.
Ken in MD - Very nice job on the Ford Switcher.
Louis - I have posted before, you take pictures with a camera, you talk on a phone.:p

Everyone have a great Monday and an awesome week. Looking forward to a few more members rejoining us here for lively jostling. Speaking of MIA's, what happened to Jesse? Hopefully he is busy with his business and he will get back to posting soon. And where the heck is Bruce? That's got to be the longest fishing trip that I've ever heard of. I am looking forward to his newest re-build.

Good morning everyone. 58 and sunny out my window. Great cooldown over the weekend. Rain left 4 inches in our gauge over the past 3 days. Warming up and drying out this week.

Running a little late this morning, and have a meeting that starts in a half hour, so I'll be brief.

David - All is well here. Glad to hear your "voice" again on the forum.
Terry - I join all the others in continued prayers for your wife.
Toot - That is a great old Honda video.
Bruette - Very cool photo of Old Rivets. I continue to learn about railroads and their history through this forum.

Had our family over for dinner Saturday, including our oldest granddaughter's boyfriend - very nice kid. Got to run trains much of the weekend, including showing them off to the boyfriend and for our granddaughters. Started gluing the walls together on the DPM structure. Pretty happy with the paint job - probably the neatest job I've done yet. Will post a photo when all the walls are together. Put together some Insta Fence and built a pile of rr ties to go in the trainyard. Local train show is in two weeks - I'll be there with lots of money ;)

Have a good day everyone.

Got some more iPhone4s speakers today and some 2 pin JST plugs/sockets with attached wires.
The Speakers come with the aerials attached but they're not hard to remove and discard
The docket says they are OEM, which is good
IMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG

The speaker is in the RH end (bottom pic)and fires out of a tiny port at the lower side. Has a gasket around the hole and is 15mm wide with that removed. 2 brass wiring connections you can see next to the speaker, which are recessed. Thickness of 5mm and 35mm long IIRC. I might order more.

These are the JST's, 10mm (3/8") long, 4.5 x 3.5mm the other ways, A bit tight to pull apart, but you can grip them. My intention with these was to retrofit the wiring to the lights on Athearn locos, so the shells could be completely seperated out of the way, Whether because a fair length of wires would be needed to allow to get them apart without flinging a loco across the room, is possible, will determine their suitability.
IMG_5640.JPG

Willie, the world is all mixed up; phones are cameras, cameras are... paper weights to some.

It's a mess I tell you!

Louis: I like your photos very much -- Same to you, Garry !

The week is off to a SOB'in start. First of all, I have managed to "misplace" two 4" pocket knives. The first one was a gift to me and after I "misplaced" it - I bought another identical one at which time shortly afterwards I found the first one. As of yesterday I cannot find either one! If I buy another, then TOOT suggested that when the "misplaced" ones show up -- that I put them all on a keychain together so I won't "misplace" them again. He idea has merit!

NEXT: Just opened a letter from the CA Franchise Tax Board - Seems they want to audit me! I think the reason is that they cannot understand how I am living in CA with the miniscule income that I show. I marvel at that as well. Maybe I will just show them the debt load I carry and they will understand?

Need to get movin' ... need to get the dogs out for a walk before it becomes too hot for their little paws.
Later guys.

Willie : Oh how I wish we could have joined you at Pellegrino's to celebrate! I'm sure that Leo took very good care of you.
That place ranks in my top 10 of places to eat. You tell him that if we get within 2-300 miles of there again - that we will see him again! I only have two ahead of him - one is in Rome and the other is in Baveno - North of Milan on Lago Maggiore, Italy.

IB KEN: Beautiful work on the switcher. Great choice of colors! You are an "artist"!

Johnny: I am going to tie that camera to your belt! .... LOL -- You are always going to show us pictures "down the road", but most do not show up? Their sort of like my "misplaced" pocket knives.

Hiya gang
Spent the last 24 hours at the hospital, dehydrated with a touch of pneumonia. They pumped me full of fluids and anti biotics and now im resting at the GFs place.
Waaaaah, no trains here.

Sherrel, I should follow my own advice. Only problem I'd need a wheelbarrow to carry all the keyrings around.

Well, no more track laying on the layout for awhile.
We are building an On30 logging layout for our Holiday display at the McWane Science Museum in Birmingham.
We will start moving layouts up to the 3rd floor in 9 weeks and I have to build an old ramshackle barn starting now.
It will be scratch built, so I have been in the basement making little pieces out of a cedar plank. I am making more sawdust than scale lumber.
I'll try to post some pictures as I go along.

Louis, Willie, Sherrell, Chet [and anyone I might have missed]: Many thanks for the kind words on my Ford assembly plant switcher!

Looks great Ken,

I saw a setting, somewhere on my android phone called color match or something. It said it was to more truly match the colors on photos. I would expect that to be automatic, but maybe because it uses CPU resources it's not.

Maybe you have that setting as well, some where in the settings "jungle".

Louis, thanks for the tip! I do have an android (Samsung Galaxy S7), and I tried looking at the various camera settings - couldn't find anything that resembled your description. Personally, I think the real problem is that the light sensor on a cell phone is just too tiny to differentiate between the billions of different variations of color and brightness, especially when they are adjacent. Kind of a lowest-common-denominator formula to render the closest match on any given pixel.

Terry - will continue my prayers for you and your wife!

Karl - Take care of yourself man, gonna need you healthy for my next op session [whenever I can find time to schedule it]!

Gotta run now, I'm currently up to my eyeballs in a caboose repaint project [sorry Sherrell no time for photos just yet, you'll hafta take my word for it;)]!

My wife went to her first dialysis class, and got her first dialysis treatment yesterday. She's supposed to go back today, tomorrow, and Thursday, finishing up arounf lunchtime Thursday. She tells me she feels much better, a lot less foggy and draggy. She's a;so been put on a pretty restrictive diet, and limited fluid intake.

Good morning everyone. Nice cool 60 and clear outside. Several days of nice weather coming our way. That hurricane on the east coast actually makes our weather nicer here, but prayers for the folks on the Carolina and Virginia coasts.

Terry - Great news about your wife's improvement. Hope you stay okay during the hurricane.
Sherrel - Yes, I know - Promises, promises. I may have posted this photo before, but here is main street through my main town, Pine Valley, as it currently looks. Still play to take some newer photos.
MR-IV on main street.jpg

Not much to report from the train room. Yesterday we got home so late I didn't have time to do anything, and then the kitchen sink's faucet broke! So I'll have to get a new unit from one of the DIY stores and get that in tonight.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 68° and cloudy. Never got above 73° yesterday with scattered misting all day. Still managed to do some yardwork. Took my walk back south yesterday, to observe the dead cow. Vultures and buzzards were there for two days last week feasting on the available delicacies, but the remainder is inaccessible since they cannot get through the hide. At least the smell has subsided enough to walk on the road. I am used to going north occasionally, but with a 1:4 pitch uphill on the return, I dislike doing it every day. Alternative is to double-track the first half mile, so being able to go south again is good.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with the scenery in my latest project area. Besides adding the last of the ground foam, I moved to the workbench and fabricated 45 - steel fence posts for the chain link fence. I got the first eleven installed as well. This is the easy part, cutting the fencing material straight will be challenging later on. As the afternoon wore on, the urge to run trains overtook the urge to do scenery.

Sherrel - Yes Leo took good care of us. Comped a cannoli and cheesecake for us to enjoy at home afterward.
"CA Franchise Tax Board " - Sounds like another needless CA bureaucracy for your taxes to support. Good luck with them and the pocket knives.
Karl - Take care of yourself.
Greg -
Willie: Did you use a Laser or Ink-jet print for your signs.
I use an Epson inkjet. That's one reason for the dullcoat afterwards, protects the color. I still have pictures for you that I haven't gotten off the camera yet. Haven't forgotten you, just keep leaving the camera in the train shed.
Ray -
Bag it up, sell it for woodchip loads.
Interesting that you mention that, as I have two woodchip gondolas that I did that to years ago.
Terry - So good to read your post that your wife is already feeling better. That restricted diet may sound like a drag, but it beats the alternative.
How does your area fare with hurricanes like Florence bearing down? Are you far enough inland to avoid the brunt of the wind? I'm sure the rain will be heavy for a while. Are the grocery stores empty yet? Be safe no matter what.

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back