Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how they do it with these new vehicles, but I'm glad they do.
All thanks to Honda, Louis, who developed the first truly reliable and engineeringly relatively simple variable valve timing technology, vTec, the heart of the modern engine. Something that was sought after and dreamed about probably since the birth of the internal combustion engine, with poppet valves in the head. The ability to have valves that can go from normal low rev operation, to high lift perfomance capability turns the average engine into that which was only found in race cars, only a couple of decades ago. With the early 2000's move to i-vTec (intelligent variable valve timing) the step between low and hi lift camshaft profiles was smoothed out, so you probably don't even notice when it does. Now, i'll just go off and find the Honda commercial

I knew you would catch the dog, I liked what appears to me to be a beagle in the stamp.

I always wanted a pocket watch. My problem is I have spent much of my life wearing a Hanes t-shirt with no buttons or pockets!
Louis, if you wear jeans, on the right side of them, adjacent to the front pocket, you will find a small, odd-shape and sized, pocket.
That is a watch pocket, for a pocket watch. They also make chains to go from one of your belt loops to the handle at the crown of the watch, so it doesn't get lost.

Good morning everyone. 70 and clear as a bell outside. Not so my desk here at work - it's covered with paper - what happened to the "paperless society" I've heard so much about.

Terry - continued thoughts and prayers for you and your wife.
Bruette - thanks for posting the video of Trainland's Christmas Display - if Hobby Lobby's Christmas trees and decorations that they had up in August didn't get me into the holiday mood, that video did :D
David "Trussrod" - great to hear from you - I think you've been silent/lurking for a while. You always have interesting comments to make.
Willie - thanks for the tips on weathering, and for posting that link to TomKat's background flats. I suppose they need to be sized before printing to coordinate with the 1:87 HO scale. I'll print some out before I forget what page that link is on.
Chet - You post some amazing rail photos!

Last night I had to continue painting in the remodeled bathrooms. Still have some walls to do, and a large walk-in closet. That will be the weekend project. But I did get down to the modeling workbench and finished painting the trim on the DPM structure I'm currently working on. A little clean-up and it will be ready for a spray of DullCoat and then gluing the walls together. And hopefully remember to take a photo or two.

Have a good day everyone.

Hi Johnny, Thanks for noticing. Actually, I have not been very active prior due to several reasons, one of which is having to use the cell phone to post on. But it's my only avenue to use so that's life St present.

Hope everything is going well with you?

David

Good morning. It's cloudy and 64.
We had serious storms last night. The dog was a puddle of goo, and our internet went out.

We've been talking to hospital and government people, and it seems this massive dark cloud may have a small silver lining. The government gives extra money monthlly to people that have some types of terminal diseases, and end stage renal failure is one of those things. If true, and if my wife is approved for it, that means I can at least temporarily stop selling off my trains to pay the bills. I have been told it can be a years-long process, and my wife may not survive long enough for it to be approved and put in place.

Good Morning All. 66° and cloudy right now. It hasn't been this cool since March! Looks like the meager rainfall has stopped. The on-again, off-again sprinkles (never really made it to the drizzle stage) left .25" in the rain gauge in five days. Still don't expect to see the sun until Tuesday, yuck! The cool night with the windows opened was spoiled around 4:00 this morning when a nearby skunk announced it's presence. Thankfully I was already up and closed them all before it permeated the house too much. It was probably about 250 yards away by my estimation.
Today is our 46th wedding anniversary. My dad told me that it wouldn't last over three years, but he lived to see us celebrate 33 years. We'll go out to eat at some fancy place tonight. Definitely not the local BBQ place unfortunately.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I started with the ground foam ground cover in my latest project area. I also worked some more on two other projects. I have nearly completed that P2K PS2/4427 covered hopper kit that I renewed efforts on. I fixed the duplicate number, carefully sculpting a Roman font #9 into a Gothic font #9. I had run out of Gothic 1/8" dry transfers but I have many others. It's a pain but I forgot to purchase more the last time I visited the LHS. It's not the best fix, but I will disguise it with weathering before it hits the rails. My other project is the rehabbed "Gemini Building" that I posted about recently. The original signage had faded and I located another one of the Walther's decal sheets that I could use. First one went OK, but the next two disintegrated. My solution is that I am going to scan and make paper copies of the needed decals to glue on the signs. Not too high tech, but it should work. Since I was set up for decals, I added graffiti decals to an Accurail ACF covered hopper kit as well. I am not a fan of graffiti in real life, but it is a reality in my era, so I do a few cars randomly. It is now on the RIP track waiting for me to clear other stuff off the workbench and bring out the weathering powders.

Sherrel - Did the HOA pay for breakfast? Another freebie?
David - Good to hear from you again. I always enjoyed your thoughtful insight on things.
Louis - Regarding the trivia for morning radio; that would mean getting back on a schedule which I gave up when I retired.:cool: Instead, I have done 2300 or so Wikipedia contributions. It occupies time wen I'm not gardening, mowing or modeling. Rock & Roll history is something that I enjoy since I cannot play any instrument at all, not even "air guitar".
Terry - Thoughts and prayers from me continue for your wife and you.

Today marks another inauspicious anniversary. It was six months ago today when Doyle posted us a message that his big brother Eric, (Big E) had passed away overnight. May he rest in peace. I sincerely miss him here as well as our phone conversations.

Everybody have a great day. It is National Grandparent's Day; remember them or celebrate with your grandkids.

All thanks to Honda, Louis, who developed the first truly reliable and engineeringly relatively simple variable valve timing technology, vTec, the heart of the modern engine. Something that was sought after and dreamed about probably since the birth of the internal combustion engine, with poppet valves in the head. The ability to have valves that can go from normal low rev operation, to high lift perfomance capability turns the average engine into that which was only found in race cars, only a couple of decades ago. With the early 2000's move to i-vTec (intelligent variable valve timing) the step between low and hi lift camshaft profiles was smoothed out, so you probably don't even notice when it does. Now, i'll just go off and find the Honda commercial
Outstanding, and there you have it!

Thank you, Sir!
Louis, if you wear jeans, on the right side of them, adjacent to the front pocket, you will find a small, odd-shape and sized, pocket.
That is a watch pocket, for a pocket watch. They also make chains to go from one of your belt loops to the handle at the crown of the watch, so it doesn't get lost.
I wear Jeans, 2-3 times a year?
I'm sure I could find a way to incorporate a pocket watch, but like wrist watches and me, they always end up broken.
Now with smart phones, what more do we need?
Although, come to think of it, a B&O pocket watch would be nice when I do wear jeans. :) I should check the museum store. I hope members still get a discount ;)

I should add that I do wear a wrist watch when I manage the littleones games.

Last edited:
Louis - Regarding the trivia for morning radio; that would mean getting back on a schedule which I gave up when I retired.:cool: Instead, I have done 2300 or so Wikipedia contributions. It occupies time wen I'm not gardening, mowing or modeling. Rock & Roll history is something that I enjoy since I cannot play any instrument at all, not even "air guitar".

Over 2300 Wikipedia contributions Id say you are still contributing to the music industry. Even more so than a radio program could.

I tried to learn to play the bass guitar, I failed miserably. I could turn a double play, or sack a quarterback, but I could not play that damn bass!

Good morning ..... I'll have a quick coffee and a donut please.

Terry .... I thought the extra little pocket in jeans was a dust collector. ...... Prayers for you and your wife. The paperwork probably won't take that long.

Have a nice Sunday, everybody .

I don't have anything at the bottom of the page except a "ModelRailroadData dot com" banner????

WAS a HOT one yesterday at 107. Supposed to be 102 today - we will see!
Still trying to finish up the HoneyDo list -- not anything to write home about - lol.

HOA Breakfast yesterday was free! Pancakes, French Toast, Bacon, Sausage, fruitbowls, watermelon, apple and orange juice - I had two helpings .. it was great. About 70 people showed up & I met the neighbor across the street who has lived here for 5 years that I have waved to on occasion, but never met? (and they say this is a friendly town)

Better head to Wally World before the shelved are emptied again. Dogs are out of their favorite morning treats.

Willie - nice of you to remember Eric. I miss his ramblings and adventures.
Terry - Continue thoughts and prayers!

Good afternoon, everybody .

Willie .... You mentioned graffiti. I'm not a fan of it myself...... I recall chalk "graffiti " on box cars called Herbie's .

David Trussrod .... I was not familiar with a Veloster. So I just looked it up. Now I know.

Sherrel ..... The HOA breakfast sounds like a good idea. Apparently, you ate very well.

Here are some photos that may start some conversation. Fort Knox, KY was a station on the Illinois Central RR for many years. Today, the Paducah and Louisville operates through there.

Soldiers arrived and departed from the IC station for many years. ....

29582089267_d3de8b079c.jpg

In 1936, the US Treasury established the US Bullion Depositary in Fort Knox. During the next 5 years, 84 heavily fortified trains of baggage cars delivered gold. Remarkably, it was shipped via registered US mail.

In the photo below, gold had been transferred from the train at the Fort Knox Station to trucks. A convoy is leaving for Ft. Knox Army Base.

30649574558_b52b38d91a.jpg

In the last photo, the convoy is entering Fort Knox Army Base. Nobody messed with the lead vehicle .

42710760640_40fcd1a48a.jpg

So, if you wish to model a gold train, that is how it was done.

Looks great Ken,

I saw a setting, somewhere on my android phone called color match or something. It said it was to more truly match the colors on photos. I would expect that to be automatic, but maybe because it uses CPU resources it's not.

Maybe you have that setting as well, some where in the settings "jungle".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back