Proto2000 SD7/SD9 body shells, before-vs-after Walthers

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Does anybody here know if a LifeLike Proto2000 HO scale SD7 body can fit directly onto a [later production] Walthers P2K SD7/9 chassis?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a LifeLike P2K SD7 into which I've invested considerable time and effort to replicate its B&O prototype. It serves as the primary shifter for my main classification yard and is used probably more than any other loco on my roster, especially during op sessions. Only problem is, it is not sound-equipped; and I do NOT want to go thru the heartburn of milling the weight and trying to squeeze out space to fit a speaker. Tried that several years ago with a few other locos - never again!

I've seen plenty of the newer Walthers P2K sound-equipped SD7's for sale on ebay and a few other large distributors, and will gladly purchase one IF I can swap out the factory shell with a custom-decorated LifeLike shell. So I would like to find out beforehand if there are any major differences between the interiors of the LifeLike shell and the Walthers shell. Has anybody already tried and succeeded in doing this?

Last edited:
Can't tell you exactly on that Ken, but I do have a few P2K's from the late model runs, 1 SD45/w sound, 2 GP60's without sound and a GP20, also without sound. Mechanically the differences between the Standard DC, as they call it now, even though they are DCC ready, is that the with sound versions have a single flywheel and the speaker sits vertically where the other flywheel would have been (SD45). The GP 60's have the same chassis/mechanics as the sound version. The GP20 on the other hand, being Standard DC has the early nonsound chassis, whereas the Sound version actually has 2 speaker positions in a tent like structure where the rear flywheel would be. Oddly though the nonsound one should be easy to put sound into.
GP20
1536302160844.png

I don't believe you'll have problems with the shells being different, so long as they have the screws near the inner ends of the trucks that attach the shell to the chassis, erly ex Lifelike shells like my Alco PA/PB's were held in place by tiny pegs on the lower chassis edges that clipped into equally tind recesses in the shell. Later ones had the screws (I have a B unit like that), but otherwise were identical.

But in the nature of the model making world, don't take my word for it.

... The GP20 on the other hand, being Standard DC has the early nonsound chassis, whereas the Sound version actually has 2 speaker positions in a tent like structure where the rear flywheel would be.
Now that you mention it Ray, I remember the first LifeLike QSI sound-equipped P2K geeps had speakers vertically mounted right inside the cab. I don't know if the SD7 has a cab interior or not [can't check it right now 'cuz I am at work], if it does I may have to surgically remove it.

I'm glad the Walthers chassis have LEDs, I always hate having to replace the filament bulbs when I install decoders in older models.

Having taken the SD45 to the club tonight, I was reminded of it's other fault that I have read is common to these Protos. Poor sound volume. I have this one MU'd to two Athearn RTR/Tsunami sound SD40's, with the proto as the lead (because of the bright LEDS and it's heavier weight). Admitedly, the sound from the Athearns was terrible too till I changed the speakers to iP4s ones, now they're great. The Proto, I have turned up to maximum for the prime mover (exhaust) and it still can't match the Athearns as they are now, at Value 80. Speed matching is not good either. I have the SD40's on a straight line speed curve, but had to lift the SD45 up several steps to get it to start rolling and accelerating to reasonably match. As I only have 6 feet of test track at home, I was interested to see how they went on the layout. Once I was inputting about 40-45 speed steps, there was noises coming from the wheels that indicated mismatching, especially on the grades.

I think the sound volume issue is speaker related along with how and where it is mounted. It fires inward into a non sealed cavity (the rear driveshaft runs through it and it is open to the tracks and also to the top. Not only that the side opposite the the cone is open but fits against shell. The speaker itself is a large diameter, at least 28mm, but is virtually flat (restricted in depth, also because of the drive shaft. It appears to be pressed into it's hole in the other side of the chassis cavity from within that cavity i.e. you would have to remove the drive shaft to get it out and there is no way to push it out from it's hole. I'm going to see what alternative speaker I can fit, hopefully something with it's own enclosure, so as to not rely on the one it has.

I hope someone comes along with more definitive info about your SD7. I wonder If Walthers has a PDF of the parts diagram. I know there was one with the GP20, showing both chassis types.

KEN --Is there a way that you might make a "trial" purchase from someone? Explain the reasoning behind your purchase with the express consideration on their part that if if does not fit that they will take it back.
I don't know if this would work - but it may be worth a shot?

I couldn't find the PDF on the loco on Walthers, but you can contact the customer service if no-one else can answer your question.

Sherrell, I can't imagine any seller agreeing to something as invasive as pulling the shell off - that sometimes results in minor damage. I wouldn't feel comfortable even asking.

I'll try to call WKW customer service on Monday and hopefully there will be somebody there who is knowledgeable enough to provide a clear answer. Failing that, I will buy a unit in the solid black Conrail "patch" scheme that will be easy for me to paint and decal myself if necessary.

Sherrell, I can't imagine any seller agreeing to something as invasive as pulling the shell off - that sometimes results in minor damage. I wouldn't feel comfortable even asking.

Yeah, that would be asking a lot, but you never know. My dad always taught me to ask - if the answer is NO - you are no worse off. Worked a few times in my younger days - then I got slapped a few times too!

Back