New LED's on main street

So? I'm putting my downtown together and I found these cute little three globe street lights for main street. I installed them and by the time 30 minutes went by the globes were melting off of the lights. I thought I ordered LED's but obviously I did not. After un-doing all that I did to install them I ordered some LED street lights. They're a little tall but at least the tops won't melt off of them.
new lights on main street 8-17 A.jpgnew lights on main street 8-17 C (1).jpgnew lights on main street 8-17 A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So? I'm putting my downtown together and I found these cute little three globe street lights for main street. I installed them and by the time 30 minutes went by the globes were melting off of the lights. I thought I ordered LED's but obviously I did not. After un-doing all that I did to install them I ordered some LED street lights. They're a little tall but at least the tops won't melt off of them.

Just put the marks on the pavement beneath the melted lights, down to wandering dogs.

Dave and Bob,
I think that's where this latest batch came from. I miss the three globe lights because I feel that they were more scale than these as far as height was concerned. On the other hand Ya just can't beat LED's for power consumption. I can run these all night without my transformer shutting down because of too much draw. Plus with LED's there is no heat which is nice when I'm moving scenery around and bump up against one of them. Those incandescent lights that I had got HOT. The photo was taken with my phone so definitely not a pro shot by any means and no, the street lights aren't as crooked as they appear in the photo.

Very noce photos all. I have been toying with the idea of installing some of the Woodland Scenics street lights and the more I see at how they add to a scene, the more I am leaning to adding them.

Dave and Bob,
I think that's where this latest batch came from. I miss the three globe lights because I feel that they were more scale than these as far as height was concerned. On the other hand Ya just can't beat LED's for power consumption. I can run these all night without my transformer shutting down because of too much draw. Plus with LED's there is no heat which is nice when I'm moving scenery around and bump up against one of them. Those incandescent lights that I had got HOT. The photo was taken with my phone so definitely not a pro shot by any means and no, the street lights aren't as crooked as they appear in the photo.

Definitely. LEDs have it over 12v in a lot of ways. Especially now that they come in warmer shades of white.

Any chance you could replace those 12v bulbs and wiring on the lamps you have with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-HO-sca...-Lamps-C100-/401051032948?hash=item5d60811d74

Six bucks for 10 of them is pretty decent.

Dave,
The pictured lights are the new LED's.I probably should have been a little clearer about that. I use LED's in all of my buildings as well. where I have an upstairs and a downstairs that are separated I use a soft white upstairs and the brighter one for the store front. It's a pretty nice effect.
Mike

Dave,
The pictured lights are the new LED's.I probably should have been a little clearer about that. I use LED's in all of my buildings as well. where I have an upstairs and a downstairs that are separated I use a soft white upstairs and the brighter one for the store front. It's a pretty nice effect.
Mike

Yeah I know, but you mentioned that you had tried some 12V first and I was just wondering if you could rewire them.

Nice work...looks great Chet. Like the lit building interiors in addition to the street lighting.

Greg

Lights really bring life to a layout, they make things look much more real. Adding a bit of interior detail, even if only a 2D printed photo, along with light, makes your buildings stand out.

Bob, Sorry I didn't see your question. Below is the starting point of the Miami. A salvaged Kibre building, spare parts plastic sheeting, Legos and a few wild brain cells of mine. I'm glad you like.
DSCF6283.JPG
DSCF6298.JPG

Now to return the thread to it's original topic. I have been building a new diorama I call the Highway, since I it doesn't include any trains. But it does have lighting. The Miami above will become part of it. We can see how much it adds in all the fine examples posted above.
DSCF6570.JPG
DSCF6576.JPG
DSCF6587.JPG

Gook really good. I wish I had the room to model a more urban area, but my layout is set in more of a rural area. That's some nice work. Keep the photos coming.

Back