In Praise of the Blue Box Rolling Stock.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Found this photo of an old BB box car that's been updated and weathered.

IMG_0253 (1).JPG

The car is from an estate sale and given a second chance to operate on the Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad.

Share your photos of BB cars that been weather or changed.

Greg

Nice looking car Greg. Like it.

I love the old blue box cars. I would say that at least half of my rolling stock is probably blue box cars that I started collecting and custom painting some for my railroad. Almost all are still on the layout doing just fine.

They may not be as well detailed as other freight equipment, but I really have no problem with that. They may not have individual grab irons and ladder rungs may be a little heavier, but when they're in a train with a number of highly detailed cars, you have to look hard to tell them apart. I can't see going through all of the underside detail as I have in the past either. Can't see tht detail when they are right side up on the rails. That's the way I usually run mine.

Yes, I have a few dozen - but not quite as many as I once did. Most BlueBox that I have is 50ft gons restricted to scrap metal service:
houghschnaegel.jpg

BlueBox50ftScrapGondolas.jpg

...however, I do have a handful of the 40ft boxcars, like this one being used to deliver firebrick:

BlueBoxBoxcar.jpg

...one of my earliest attempts at weathering, some 25 years ago!

I think I had 130 of the BB N&W 2 bay hoppers. I put Kaydee #5's and Jay-Bee metal wheelsets on all of them. I took a sharpie marker and blacked out the last 2 numbers on many of the hoppers. Then I took my extra caboose numbers and put THOSE for the last 2 numbers on the cars. No effort was made to make sure the numbers were the same on both sides. Now the long strings of hoppers don't look like all the same car. I also had 6 4 bay hoppers I modified to look like the older N&W HUa hoppers. A few Westerfield HP hoppers and ONE HR giant one of a kind fill out my hopper fleet. I had about 60 percent of the hoppers were filled and the rest were empties.

Ken, you did bring up numbering. While the layout was being started, I bought quite a few undecorated BB kits. Freelancing gave me the opportunity to number the cars any way I wanted. Box Cars were numbered 1000 through 1999IMAG0265.jpg. Of course I didn't have that many, but the numbers fell in that bracket.

IMAG0264.jpg

Reefers started at 4000

IMAG0263.jpg

Hoppers started at 7000

IMAG0268.jpg

Gave me something to do while the track was going down.

My main coal hopper, all eight, have the same numbers, but the fellow who weathered them did the weathering so heavily you don't see all of the numbers. I purchased them with coal loads, KD's and metal wheels for $8.00 a piece. These Athearn cars were from the Milwaukee Road Historical Society and I found some more new in their original boxes, the new coal hoppe cost $8.00 without loads, KD's or weathering.

Greg

I first acquired one of these back, well, in the middle of the decade that man landed on the moon......fast forward to a few months ago when I went to a train show/swap meet over the hill in Medford and a guy has one for sale. I picked it up for pretty cheap and thought I'd make a fleet so I found a couple more on ebates.
Here's the group waiting for attention on the work bench......the car in back without roof walk & hatches is the one from long ago......
IMG_2383.JPG
I added roof corner grabs, different brake wheels, painted hatches & hatch hardware....
IMG_2456.JPG
All the couplers are now Kadee's, with the trip pins removed, (just never did care how they looked), with Kadee air hoses added....
This car came with side panels and tanks, so I made it an open sided car.....
IMG_2461.JPG
All of the cars had their trucks reworked and Reboxx 33" wheel sets installed along with the appropriate weight making for some very smooth, free wheeling cars......
IMG_2458.JPG
The only car that retained it's original "73" number is the one I originally had....
IMG_2460.JPG
I haven't done any weathering yet, as kit bashing is new to me so I've been enjoying that aspect of model railroading, along with building fleets, as you can see part of the tank car fleet in the first pic..... (did I ever mention that this is a disease?).....o_O

Yes, I have a few dozen - but not quite as many as I once did. Most BlueBox that I have is 50ft gons restricted to scrap metal service:View attachment 25700
View attachment 25701

...however, I do have a handful of the 40ft boxcars, like this one being used to deliver firebrick:

View attachment 25702

...one of my earliest attempts at weathering, some 25 years ago!

Nice shots of the cars, and what a great looking layout. Need to get you to post some more photos of your layout!

Blue box kits were the starting point for so many cars and engines. I miss them!!!!!
They're still all over everywhere! I find a lot of them at train shows. I really like the BB cars. They are easy to assemble, have decent detail, and can be had for $5-10 each. Add Kadee couplers and metal wheels and they're still under $15 each. That's a bout half of what a good quality RTR car will set you back!

Ken, you did bring up numbering. While the layout was being started, I bought quite a few undecorated BB kits. Freelancing gave me the opportunity to number the cars any way I wanted. Box Cars were numbered 1000 through 1999View attachment 25814. Of course I didn't have that many, but the numbers fell in that bracket.

View attachment 25813

Reefers started at 4000

View attachment 25815

Hoppers started at 7000

View attachment 25816

Gave me something to do while the track was going down.

I've been meaning to ask (you may have said and I missed it), when you do your spraying of dirt along the bottom, do you just shoot straight at it at a a right angle and adjust the nozzle so as to concentrate the bulk of the color down low? Do you remove the wheels and do them seperately? If not, what do you do to get an even finish on them and keep the paint off the treads?

Most of my fleet is BB cars. As I get around to customizing and weathering, I'll post pics here as well.

Toot - When I sprayed the cars, I used Floquil "mud" which is fairly close to a buff color. Black chalk was applied using a stiff bruch to give the appearance if soot running down from the roof. The air brush was set to a fairly small volume and the air brush was passed along quickly at about a 30 degree up angle. A final coat of Dull Coat was applied when this was finished. I took no measures to protect the wheels. I was a novice with an air brush and didn't have a clue what I was doing. It sounded like a good idea, so that what I did. Passed that class in the school of hard knocks.

Last edited:

Back