painting FEC Trenton Rebuilt double-stack cars 70000 series yellow.

dalehenigman

I am painting an FEC double stack car yellow and need to know if I should use Tru-color paint and to use the FEC new Yellow or FEC old yellow. Also what is anyones opinion of Tru color airbrush paint. My other alternative is Testors flat sunflower color and plenty of weathering. Thanks......Dale.

Dale,

I have used Tru Color and like it a lot, other than the inherent odor. It sprays very well out of the bottle, dries fairly quickly and does cover well.

Alternatively, I now use Badger Modelflex colors which are an acrylic with virtually no smell. Modelflex covers as well as tru color, is comparable in so far as cost goes, dries very quickly unless you add a few drops of Badger Extender and sprays well out of the bottle at around 35 psi. I do add a few drops of Testors Thinner but that is a personal preference. They also have Railroad specific colors along with other colors.

Modelflex is now my preferred spraying paint but mainly due to the lack of odor. When all is said and done though, both are very good paints.

Last edited:

Back