Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie - I do remember the Western Auto, but I think the last time I saw one they were a sponsor on Darrell Waltrip's Winston Cup car. :eek:

MikeInHubCity - now that you have mentioned that, I realized that I have seen a Carquest in about a dozen years or so either.

Evening guys,

We made it to FT Lauderdale, and from our hotel room is a view of a huge intermodal yard

0E30BA48-CC8C-4938-81CF-CFFEF43BB2D1.jpeg

We made it to FT Lauderdale, and from our hotel room is a view of a huge intermodal yard
Only a railfan would love it.
By the way it is 109° right now, our high for the day. Been there since 2:30, it's almost 7:00 right now. Got the grill going for ribeyes.

Willie .... 109 ... That's hot .... I recall one summer, it did get that hot here. It was overwhelming.

Mike ... Enjoy your vacation.

Good Morning All. 77° and partly cloudy. The heat wave continues here again today. It did top out "officially" at 110° yesterday, marking the fifth day in a row above 105° and the seventh above 100°. More of the same today and tomorrow. We're expecting a "cool" front tomorrow night that will drop our high below 100° for one day only on Tuesday. The pool however has remained below 87° with early morning temperature of 82°; the result of the longer nights and shorter days.
Bathroom remodel will hit a grinding halt soon. The contractor is starting another job tomorrow. He'll be out here today and finish as much as he can with us, but he cannot continue without 6 pieces of back-ordered "special" tile (holding up grout work in the shower, wife doesn't seem able to use anything off the shelf), that cursed shower door and a damn mirror that my wife hasn't picked out yet. Once everything is assembled for him, he'll take a half day off his next job and return. I still owe him $1000, so I am guaranteed a return visit. So I'll have a half bath for a while with a working toilet and sink, lights (I did the electricity) and no shower or mirror.
Out in the train shed, I filled the other vacancy in the MR-II structure in my small town business district, added more figures and did some general clean-up in town. I took pictures Chet, but I left the camera outside and I will post them tomorrow. I'm using my contractors table saw this morning to cut fascia strips out of both Masonite and plywood sheathing while I have the opportunity. He didn't use it on our job but I saw it in his truck yesterday (ready for his next job) and had him leave it overnight. Beats clamping everything down and using the Skillsaw which I was going to have to do.

Jesse -
Welcome to the south, where the weather is made up and the forecast doesn't matter.
I like it! Here in North Central Texas, they use the same one from mid-May to early September, "Hot and dry". And it is correct most of the time.
Too bad that they weren't running the trains at the museum. Nice pictures. I still like model train layouts even with no trains running.
Beady - Wow, seven months wait for a doctor's appointment. My buddy got one for sleep apnea in four days just recently.
Garry - These hot days aren't particularly overwhelming because of the low humidity, below 20%. But I and many fellow North Texans are used to it. Extended periods of working in the sun are not recommended, and lots of water is a must. Most highway and major building construction take place overnight. I'm good with moderate activity in the shade for about 45 minutes before I take a break either in the pool or in the A/C. The good thing about it is that it will drive a few of the unnecessary out of state interlopers back to where they came from. That and our "open carry" laws combined work hand in hand.

Gotta go now, work to do early. Everybody have a great Sunday.

Good morning. Been MIA for a couple of days. 50 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the low 80's.

On the way to Billings yesterday for our bowling tournament, we had this motorcycle pass us. Couldn't believe it. We were cruising at 80 mph and the little dog on the back was in a basket wearing a set of goggles. Has to speed up so my wife could snap a photo. Ken D&J might appreciate this.

20180721_093844.jpeg

The little guy seemed to be enjoying himself, with his tail wagging. Had to enlarge the photo but this was a large as I could get it before it started pixelizing. Lighting wasn't the best wither because it was a bit overcast.

We did pretty good at the tournament. There was another shift after us, but we should be in the money.

Willie - 109 ??? I thought it was bad when we were leaving Billings at 98. Only got up to 84 at home. I'll look forward to seeing your photos.

Never turn on the computer on Friday. Washed 6 vehicles and polished 1. also was busy moving rainbirds aroun to try to keep the lawn from drying up.

Garry - Like your photo. Being an Alco fan, I can appreciate the photo. Went to the club on Thursday and there were a lot of visitors and only two of us running trains. The other member there got another train running and handed me the throttle and mentioned that we should have as many trains running as possible. Not used to this having trains in three different rooms. Here's my RS-1 in the "Gardiner Loop" getting ready to pick up a couple of box cars and dropping one off.

20180714_201941.jpg

ALC-CSX - Too bad the trains weren't running during your visit. Nice photos.

Mike
- have fun in south Florida.

Sherrel - I would love to take you up for a while, but unfortunately you are a bit far away. The Bird Dog I was flying isn't the fastest plane around. I enjoy it because I can putz around and have the time to see what's on the ground. I like to search out the old Milwaukee Road right of way and some of the abandoned track.

Time to go out and move the rain birds again.

Here's a rail picture for today.

full-steam-ahead-empire-builder-8.jpg

Later

Good morning gang.
Did a little meatball surgery on a decoder yesterday. Soldered in a keep alive to an old Soundtraxx LC decoder..
Wow that is tiny soldering!

Back among the living, taking the GF shopping. Pray for me!:rolleyes:

Afternoon All,

Had a great time yesterday at Tom's. I received the station signs I was waiting on yesterday but the town name was misspelled, so I have sent a message to the seller. Hopefully it will be resolved to my satisfaction. I have bought from this seller 5 or 6 times before without issue.

Talked to my brother today and it sounds like SIL will be in the hospital for at least another week then some time in a rehab facility (up to 20 days). At least he is feeling better.

Sherrel- Great story. I did not realize you carried passengers. I thought you only carried freight.

Garry- Beautiful scene.

Migalyto- Enjoy your cruise. MOH and I really enjoy it.

ACL-CSX- Sounds like a good day at the museum. That's a very nice photo of your son.

Chet- Sounds like you and your wife did well bowling. You posted the RS1 photo at the club before, right? Or am I losing my mind?:eek:

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. It's thundering, not a drop of rain, and 79. NWS has issued a severe thunderstorn warning and flash flood warning for us. Near the top of a hill, I don't see any flooding.

Curt, you are losing your mind.

Thats OK, CURT!
TOOT has gone to look for his as well.

My charger for the laptop arrived yesterday afternoon - that was wuick!
Works great - YAY - I am back!

It's still in the low to mid 90's and not a cloud anywhere in sight.

Willie -- You are spending a fortune on that bathroom! :eek::eek:

Chet ... Thanks for commenting on my scene. Actually, I thought of you when I posted it with the NP Alcos. ..... I like your RS1 photo.

Curt .... thanks for your remark bout my scene. Have you found your mind yet?.. o_O

I see another foolish person thought that trains can swerve to avoid them. Had to pick UP's 844 to try it with.

Woohoo! Worked on my layout some this weekend. Finished up some more feeders, repaired my turnout (super glue), and painted the ties. Think maybe too light of a brown? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_004010757_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180723_004010757_LL.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back