Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toot......That is a sharp car! Your 100%correct, I couldn't afford it today either. my wife, daughter, and trains take all my money now!

That looks eerily similar to an Opel Manta.

That's where the Torana line was sourced from. The earlier one also, it had a straight 6 of varying c.i. They shoehorned a V8 into it for the "Great Race" (Bathurst 1000), but because the rules of the time required makers to have at least 200 road model orders on the books (Homologation it was called), a journo took it upon himself to start a scare campaign, swiftly picked up by certain political types and all hell broke loose. Consequences, the makers pulled their collective heads in.

This was the prototype car, running in an earlier race, with I believe a 253 c.i. V8. The proposed GTR V8 XU1 Torana would have had the larger 308 c.i. available in the Commodore line, from where the Monaro hails. A very light and small car running on 13" x 6" steel rims'
1531642189353.png

Good Morning again. It only cooled off a little from four hours ago, down to 79° with clear skies. Temperatures around here reached 100° yesterday, although the highest my weather station recorded was 99°. Tomorrow starts a predicted string of ten days of at least 102°-105° temperatures. That's Mother Natures way of paying us back for two consecutive summers with only a single day of triple digit temperatures. Average here is about 30 days total a year.
Bathroom remodel is still proceeding, contractor (Felix) is still working alone and put in seven hours Saturday. I didn't mention earlier this week that he learned a valuable lesson regarding the use of safety glasses while operating a grinder. I had offered him a pair when I saw him using it without them, but he said that he had a pair in the truck if he needed them. Turns out that he did need them but didn't have them on. He's used them ever since and his eye is getting better.
Picking up our two grandson's today for a few days "sleepover". They enjoy many things about coming here. The front yard has an open space about 200' x 60' that's perfect for kicking a soccer ball around, they can ride their bikes with little regard for the non-existent traffic, they can frolic in the pool to their hearts delight but most of all, they can pee outside!
Out in the train shed, I continued with the final detailing in the business district. Added 13 figures to the Merchant's Row kit, named and added an interior to a DPM structure - it gets figures today. I also got the first three of four sections of Insta-Fence up; every town needs some variety in the fencing separating the RR from the town. I need a few more vehicles as well. Still to go is some tall grass clumps along the fences on the ROW and some street signs. There are also two vacant businesses in a different Merchant's Row structure that I have to decide on. Ran a few trains since I had a lot of time...too warm to play outside much past noon unless I am in the pool.

Chet - I think that we're both dating ourselves with memories of gas below .25/gal. A dollar would supply my '61 beetle for over a week!
Curt - The figures and details that you added to the depot really added some life. I am a big fan of lots of figures like some of Garry's scenes.

Everybody have a great day and stay hydrated.

Good morning .....

Curt .... The depot looks great !

SCL-CSX ...... Buick Grand Nationals were impressive.... For a while we had an '83 Hurst Olds with the "Lightening Rod" shifter. ... I like the Nova, too.

Toot .... Interesting photos of Australian muscle cars.

I don't do cars as a hobby very much now although I still have the '84 Porsche 928s. . Most of my spare time is with the model railroad.

WHOO - It was only 93 yesterday, but felt much, much hotter! Out in it for most of the afternoon and it sure sapped the energy with the direct sun and wind.
Today is forecast at 94.

Spousal Unit is taking the RV over to the coast (somewhere?) - to one of those "parking lot" campgrounds where they back up to the beach and are all in a row. I spent most of yesterday afternoon helping her get everything on board and going over all the "hooking up" items.
The thing she needs most = the backup camera = is not working. I messed with it for a while before finally throwing the towel in. Internet advises scrapping and installing a wireless devise!

OK, so she is going with two of our daughters - their 3 sons - at least 4 other kids for a couple days of sun and sand. One SIL may show up for a night if he can arrange his work schedual to fit. I am staying home where it is cool with the doggies! YA MAN!

Good morning. 58 degrees with clear skies to start off the day. The forecast high is supposed to be in the low 80's.

Car talk, love it. Right up my alley. In 1987, the Buick Grand National was the fastest production car in the US. They could eat Corvettes for lunch. The 3800 engine is one heck of an engine, basically a Chevy small block with 2 cylinders lopped off. Throw a super charger on them and they could scream. My Buick is no race car by any means, but is a great highway cruiser. Decent performance and excellent fuel mileage. GM with all of their knowledge discontinued it and replaced it with a 3500 engine which couldn't hold a candle to the 3800.

ACL-CSX - Always liked the Nova. The one in your photo could use a little love. I did a restoration on a '75 Nova in the mid 90's, upgrading the suspension, brakes and engine and put one heck of a nice custom paint job on it for a friend here in town. I think he would give a kid away before he would part with it.

Toot - The Holdens were some cars. It's a shame that they ceased production. I believe that they pretty well ruled the Super Car series in Australia. They were brought over here as the Pontiac G-8 and when Pontiac ceased production, it was rebadged as the Chevrolet SS.

2016-chevrolet-ss-003.jpg

NASCAR ran the body style until last year. With the Holden no longer in production, NASCAR is now using the Camaro body design. I got to drive a Chevy SS a few years ago and it was scarey fast. A Corvette in a sedan body. What a sleeper.

It was very busy at the club last night with all of the tourists in Livingston. A lot of rail action. Passed an eastbound tank train on the way over to the club and a westbound coal train was leaving westbound when I got to the club. When I was leaving, another coal train was leaving westbound and on the wast side on the pass, the eastbound tank train was in a passing siding and on the west side of the pass, a grain train was also sitting in a passing siding. Ken D&J, if you want to see some rail action, you should check things out here.

I was running my Atlas RS-1 as usual last night. Here it is in the Gardiner loop. Pulled in here to pick up a couple of box cars and drop one off.

20180714_201941.jpg

For a rail photo today, here is one of the many mini scenes on the club layout. Some prisoners are pulling up some old track.

20180714_191650.jpg

20180714_201353.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Good morning all,

partly cloudy, and 80 degrees to start the day, going up to upper 80s so they say. looks like they took the rain out of the forecast. I guess I will have to do the mowing that should of been done yesterday.

Have a great day!

Sherrel .... For a while, I had an '87 Buick La Sabre with the 3800. It had plenty of power, but the engine died. It had to be replaced. I found out the hard way the '87 3800's were poorly engineered.

Chet ..... I defiantly like the scene with the jailbirds working on abandoned track....

The Nevada County Narrow Guage Railroad Museum has been having a yard sale. Tools, books railroad stuff etc. Today is 50% off. Friday there was a Bachmann SP Daylight 4-8-4 with an Athern 6 car set in orig boxes for $120. If its still there today at 10am I will snag it for $60. Any thoughts on this? I havnt bought anything in years and I am in the process of taping drywall in the new trainroom and should be laying track in 5-10 years?? lol. Since I will be trying to model an area on the central coast of CA this should fit in nice.
PV Dave

The Nevada County Narrow Guage Railroad Museum has been having a yard sale. Tools, books railroad stuff etc. Today is 50% off. Friday there was a Bachmann SP Daylight 4-8-4 with an Athern 6 car set in orig boxes for $120. If its still there today at 10am I will snag it for $60. Any thoughts on this? I havnt bought anything in years and I am in the process of taping drywall in the new trainroom and should be laying track in 5-10 years?? lol. Since I will be trying to model an area on the central coast of CA this should fit in nice.
PV Dave

Sounds like a pretty decent deal.

Afternoon All,

Did a bunch of chores today including cutting the grass. The cutting deck is messed up. It either drags the ground or is so high it's worthless. Something else to fix. While cutting I destroyed a PVC plumbing cap. That was a bear to get the rest of it off so I could replace it.

My SIL has her jaw surgery and feeding tube placement tomorrow around 3 pm. Her jaws will be wired shut for 4-6 weeks. Still don't know what's going to happen after surgery.

Thank you Willie and Garry for your kind remarks and anyone else I missed.

Willie- Have fun with the grandsons. Ours were here several years ago and I caught the youngest standing on the side of the pool peeing into it. I was not impressed.

Sherrel- Smart choice:cool:.

Chet- I really like the track removal scene.

TruckDad- Sounds like a great deal.

I hope everyone has a good night.

As it turns out everything was 50% off EXCEPT the stuff on the MR table, wasn't going to spend $125 for a loco I couldn't test and the cars can be found elswhwere. However I did pick up a switcher for $5 (tested it and it works but needs a good cleaning) and some $1 cars to practice weathering on.
PV Dave
index.php

Dave......Sounds like it wasn't a total waste. Cant beat the $1 practice cars. When I wad doing N scale, I picked up a box of cars in various forms of disarray, and was able to try different techniques on them, them chuck the failures. Some of them with coupler, and metal wheels actually became every day runners.

Good Afternoon Everyone....hot and humid in this part of Wisconsin. Just came home from the cabin and shared Interstate 41 with the fun seekers at Rock USA in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and the car show folks for Iola, Wisconsin.

While sitting on my deck with a drink in hand and watching my hummingbirds....I asked myself how in the (Blank) can a bird weighting in at an ounce, eating sugar water, fly to South America and back and I can't get out of Wisconsin?

No trains until till maybe tomorrow.

Miller Time here for me (not sugar water).

Greg

Good Afternoon Everyone....hot and humid in this part of Wisconsin. Just came home from the cabin and shared Interstate 41 with the fun seekers at Rock USA in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and the car show folks for Iola, Wisconsin.

While sitting on my deck with a drink in hand and watching my hummingbirds....I asked myself how in the (Blank) can a bird weighting in at an ounce, eating sugar water, fly to South America and back and I can't get out of Wisconsin?

Greg

And never seem to run out of energy! I spent 2 hours this afternoon mowing and trimming, and needed an hour nap!

Good evening, Terry. .... Where is everybody else this evening ?
I'm in the middle of cows & cranberry country. But seriously, I'm hoping to get back in the train room tomorrow. Just plug away, slow but steady process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back