No sound in DCC...heelp please.

Marlin39

I have an Atlas Gold Master S2. In DC mode the sound works great.

I just bought an NCE unit. There is no sound or startup sequence when I plug the power in. The engine runs fine otherwise. I can turn the headlights on/off, bell, and horn with the function key.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Push the f8 button to start the engine.

Excuse my ignorance, but there is no "F8" key on my controller. Would you please clarify.

I figured it out. Works great! Why can't they print simple instructions for us without an electrical engineering degree.
Thanks

Last edited:
I am assuming you have an NCE Power Cab, if so then as Terry has said, press the No: 8 key on the hand set, that is the F8 key, although not called that on the handset - that No: 8 key turns your sound on and off. Your Horn and Bell will operate as they are turned on and off using the appropriate Horn/Bell Keys.

I have found the NCE instructions very good ... compared to other more notable brands, but I do agree with you 1000%, most instructions are written for those who don't need them and with a great deal of assumed knowledge implied. Instructions should be written for the lowest denominator and for that denominator to be able to fully understand what is being written. The lowest denominator is the person who knows nothing about the subject and doesn't have a degree in electrical engineering. If that person can't understand the instructions (for any reason other than a lack of intellect) then the instructions fail and are useless.

Just as a secondary thought ... I once had a digitrax system and the instructions were so woeful that I doubt even an electrical engineer could follow them. I ended up calling digitrax for clarification and the "tech support idiot" (yes, idiot) arrogantly told me that if I couldn't understand the instructions, I shouldn't have bought the system and should go back to DC.

The digitrax found itself in the garbage and was quickly replaced with an NCE.

Your definitely NOT alone regarding instructions, there have been a few threads about them here over the years and I think (other than the Electrical Engineers amongst us) most seem to agree with you and I.

From memory, Atlas uses Sound Traxx Economy sound decoders in their engines because they are relatively cheap compared to other decoders, TCS, ESU etc. I honestly don't think there is any comparison between the Paragon 3 Rolling Thunder sound and the Economy Sound Traxx sound. I have a new BLI AC6000 and the sound in that is incredible.

With that being said,and not getting into volumes etc I don't think there is any better sound than ESU Loksound.

Kato, who now use ESU Loksound select sound decoders, set their locos from the factory to be silent when placed on powered rails and only make sound when the 8 button is pressed. That can be changed via one of the CV settings so that they will start-up as soon as power is applied. Atlas may have the same capability.

Your definitely NOT alone regarding instructions, there have been a few threads about them here over the years and I think (other than the Electrical Engineers amongst us) most seem to agree with you and I.

From memory, Atlas uses Sound Traxx Economy sound decoders in their engines because they are relatively cheap compared to other decoders, TCS, ESU etc. I honestly don't think there is any comparison between the Paragon 3 Rolling Thunder sound and the Economy Sound Traxx sound. I have a new BLI AC6000 and the sound in that is incredible.

With that being said,and not getting into volumes etc I don't think there is any better sound than ESU Loksound.

My Atlas does have the ESU.;)

Atlas used QSI, then switched to ESU several years ago. They had a contract with QSI for decoders, which they ended up putting in their Trainnman Gold line until the contract was fulfilled. Atlas now uses ESU for that line, as well.

I have an NCE Powercab, a BLI Paragon 3 Steamer and one steam loco converted to DCC with sound using Digitrax. The BLI loco starts and stops with F9. F8 is mute. The converted loco starts and stops with 0

I have an NCE Powercab, a BLI Paragon 3 Steamer and one steam loco converted to DCC with sound using Digitrax. The BLI loco starts and stops with F9. F8 is mute. The converted loco starts and stops with 0
The F8 button on BLI's is also a main volume adjuster. Double click it like a mouse and it will cycle the overall sound volume down then back up again in steps. Very useful if running at a club where the general noise can get a bit much. No other decoder brand has that feature AFAIK.

Back