Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is almost on topic. We were on our cruise a couple of months ago, hanging out in the open-air bar at the stern of Deck 17, waiting to cast-off from Barbados, when I looked over to the other side of the port and noticed some trucks being loaded with intermodal containers. I'd never seen this, so I shot a short ((2-3 minutes) video. Sorry for the bobbing, but I'd already had a couple of Paradise Punches

Arrived in Gadsden, AL yesterday before noon. Set to work with planning the benchwork. Had to do a bit of cleaning first. Got the basic track plan for the first room worked out. Today was making the plan fit and determining best use of lumber. This is going to have three levels to it with a 30" minimum radius. Refining the structure plans this afternoon and determining amount of lumber to buy tomorrow morning.
Showed be cutting wood by noon tomorrow.

Afternoon All,

Went to Jo-Ann's today to get #11 Xacto blades but need to order #24's. I also picked up a piece of photo mat (used for framing pictures) for the sub roof. Phil called me yesterday that he wouldn't be able to make it.:confused: Watching the grandkids this weekend and it's supposed to rain all weekend.

I hope everyone takes a moment this weekend to think of our fallen warriors.

Sherrel- Stuff breaking seems to come in groups here. I will say that submarines have many flying devices onboard:p.

Willie- I had the same issue when I used those for the 4 Tructrain flat cars that I built.

Chet- Safe travels and have fun.

Sam- Happy Anniversary.

Curt, I moved your thread to the new coffee shop thread, more folks will see it here. I know it gets confusing at times, we're so busy now we start a new one each month.

Not a big deal, just trying to keep things organized a bit.

Thanks Bob, my mistake.

Not a problem and easy to fix. We don't get too worried about that stuff, often a topic can fit in more than one forum and it's a judgement call, but in this case I was worried folks would reply without realizing it was the old one and things would get confusing. :)

Sam- Happy Anniversary.

Not my anniversary, just a comment on the number of years. Anniversary falls on Groundhogs Day, Feb. 2nd. Chose a date that I would remember. They start talking about Puxatony Phil on TV and I head for the Jewelry Store. Haven't missed one yet. Dad set the example, got married on his Birthday.

Not my anniversary, just a comment on the number of years. Anniversary falls on Groundhogs Day, Feb. 2nd. Chose a date that I would remember. They start talking about Puxatony Phil on TV and I head for the Jewelry Store. Haven't missed one yet. Dad set the example, got married on his Birthday.
Man, I am all screwed up today.

Funny, Sam -- Engagement date here is December 7th, "A Day Which Will Live In Infamy"!

Good Morning All. 68° and partly cloudy. So Mother Nature threw us a curve yesterday, instead of the predicted high of 95°, around noon some kind of disturbance came down from Oklahoma and the temperature went from 85° to 72° in about ten minutes...it got really dark and it appears that thunderstorms sprang up north of us, but did not quite make it here. So we ended up with a high yesterday of only 87°. It was pretty strange! Meanwhile I mowed probably close to 1 1/2 acres of the estate, taking advantage of the cooler temperatures. Got a retired contractor buddy coming by today to look at a bathroom remodel that we want to do. He and I will end up doing it, just need professional guidance and a helping hand. New floor including probable replacement of some subflooring, new vanity and sink/fixtures, tiled walk-in shower, etc.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I did some more ground cover in my project area. Most of the structures and roads are in place and I am about to tackle the double track grade crossing. I'll be using a Blair Line kit on the main and hand make the one on the siding since it has some curvature to it. Got to see if I have enough dry wall patch material to make the approaches or if I need to use hydrocal.

Joe - It's about time that you explained BENNY's.:confused:
Beady - Interesting video. I have never seen that type of lift used before, although I do recall seeing one parked at the Alliance Intermodal Yard on the BNSF in Haslet TX.
Ken - I must have missed it regarding the purpose of your trip to Gadsden. Building a layout it sounds like.

Where's Karl? Did the new girlfriend whisk him away?
Everybody have a great day. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend and let's all remember why we celebrate this holiday.

Willie

Good morning, everybody ....

Coffee and a donut to go ..... Too much non-model-railroad-stuff going on now. ..... Be Back Later ....

Have a great Saturday ...

Good morning, 76° and sunny.

Joe - It's about time that you explained BENNY's.:confused:

Willie: The fun part comes in late August, when the locals that live right in the resort towns, have reached the limits of their patience and the BENNYs Go HOME signs start to appear. o_O

Speaking of the BENNYs, I have this passenger train, consisting of a CNJ RS3 and three Athearn BB Coaches lettered Jersey Central Lines, that appears on my layout about this time of year, and remains until early September. This year, I plan on doing some work to detail this train. Photos later.

Yep, expanding a layout for a friend. He built his Hobokin Terminal about ten years ago and hasn't progressed from there. Mainly due to his two sons living in the basement off and on.l with all their stuff.

JOE: Glad you explained that (Had me wondering)!
I thought maybe it referred to the movie, Weekend at Bernie's.

Willie: Good luck with the remodeling - bathrooms are not my favorite - and I have a lot of practice!

KEN D&J: A good way to spend your retirement going around the country building layouts.
I would like to add my name to your list- how do you say . .. NEXT !

Just stopped in for a minute. The grandkids will be here tomorrow (today was cancelled). I sprayed detail parts with a base coat, cut out the roof and then cut it smaller because it was way too big. After that I blackened the edges of it. Lastly I built 2 platforms inside the structure that the barrier strips will sit on.

I hope everyone has a good night.

You say "jewelry store,' and I cross myself. On our cruise, we stopped into two branches of Diamonds International. The first wasn't bad, got out of there with our bank accounts intact. The second, in St Kitts, we were overcome by a wave of hard selling. Bottom line, we had to draw $40k out of retirement when we got home. Tips: Stay out of jewelry stores in tourist areas; if you don't, and they offer you water, be on guard; if they break out the champagne, run like hell.

Oh well, we dont need the retirement money to live, and I told the wife I dont ever have to buy her anything ever again.

Btw, are any of you interested in a loose diamond, appraised variously at $14k and $19k? Diamonds International proprietary Crown of Light cut. If we can't sell it, I'm going to have a diamond mine on my layout and put the damned thing into a hopper.

Last edited:
You say "jewelry store,' and I cross myself. On our cruise, we stopped into two branches of Diamonds International. The first wasn't bad, got out of there with our bank accounts intact. The second, in St Kitts, we were overcome by a wave of hard selling. Bottom line, we had to draw $40k out of retirement when we got home. Tips: Stay out of jewelry stores in tourist areas; if you don't, and they offer you water, be on guard; if they break out the champagne, run like hell.

Oh well, we dont need the retirement money to live, and I told the wife I dont ever have to buy her anything ever again.

Btw, are any of you interested in a loose diamond, appraised variously at $14k and $19k? Diamonds International proprietary Crown of Light cut. If we can't sell it, I'm going to have a diamond mine on my layout and put the damned thing into a hopper.
I don't dare let my wife see this post. $40K! Wow!

Willie

Good afternoon. It's thunder storming heavily and 79.
We are at our annual travel trailer rally. Since my wife has some troubles with her health, I decided to make a 2 day journey out of the trip.
I had a lot of possible places to spend night #1, only two of them had a space. Place #1 wanted 3 nights' camping fees for one night. Place #2 had a dry camping spot (no utilities) for $13.50 a night. It was supposed to be a couple of miles off the freeway. Our GPS, instead of directing us to turn right, told us to turn left, then proceeded to send us on a grand tour of Camp Creek, WV, and environs. We towed the trailer through and over some places I wouldn't want to take a dirt bike, and went into areas the "banjo people" were afraid to go. I finally managed to get us back to civilization, several hours later. Long after any self-respecting campground closed for the night. We ended up spending the night in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel, in Beckley, West Virginia.
It turned out if the GPS had directed us to turn right instead of left, we would have arrived at the campground in less than 2 miles.
This is the second time this GPS has done this to us. First time was nearly a year ago, now this.
I do not plan to allow it to do it to us a third time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back