Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok time to put my busted turnout on blast. Give y'all a look at what happened. Mind you I knew I was having issues with it. Any locomotive longer than my GP35 would short out on it. I noticed that I had a loose rail on it but chalked it up as being off the post it attaches to. This rail broke off with little to no pressure applied to it. So now my mission is to find anymore on my layout that have loose rails and get them replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_20180522_095830627.jpg
    IMG_20180522_095830627.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20180522_095819200.jpg
    IMG_20180522_095819200.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 158
Sam - I really enjoyed working at the airport most of the time. It could be a pain in the middle of the winter. I think the fuel farm was probably the coldest place in the Valley. We mainly fueled aircraft, both civilian and military, Also we would take aircraft to and from hangars and assist both pilots and passengers when they arrive and departed. When military aircraft came in for an over night stay, we would also arrange for a hotel room for them as well as fueling the aircraft.

I did get to go for a ride in a B-17 while they were here for an air show. Just awesome.

It was a really good community at the airport. Meeting many of the local pilots allowed me to get re certified for almost no cast at all for me.

Although I no longer work there, I still have a lot of friends there and have a few of them who will let me use their plane for keeping my license currant. Some of them are also car nuts like me and I have done some restoration work in trade for seat time.

Johnny - I have had a couple of turnouts with the same problem. One was hand laid and another was a Shinohara turnout. I just soldered the loose point back to the throw bar. On both turnouts, the throw bar was also nickle silver and was a quick repair. If the throw bar is not metal, you might consider a small drop of super glue if it is plastic. It is hard to tell by the photo. Would be easier than removing and replacing the entire turnout.

Chessie and Chet: Great idea on using super glue to repair a turnout's bad throw bar. I have an Atlas Custom Line turnout that needs attention and super glue will be the answer. The turnout been in place for maybe 10 years and its part of my reverse loop. Before using the AC, I'll really clean the throw bar with a small brush and cleaner.

Was on the computer while the cabinet demo was underway. All cabinets were removed by 11:00 AM. Installation starts tomorrow.

I found a box of Code 70 turnouts, most new, from my previous layout. This will help decide if Code 70 is the track size of choice for the new yard.

The Industrial Area of Waupaca on the layout is really taking shape. The buildings with the exterior, wall mounted lights add to the realism. WS LED pole lights are planned in key locations and the roof mounted bill board signs add some additional city feeling to the area. Last Wednesday night, with the help of a tall friend, we slid the moveable landform into place and it looks like it is a permanent part of the landscape. This area was out of reach to do any landscaping at all.

The WS Emporium building found a home across the yard tracks and with its lighted interior gathers attention. The weathered Walther's smoke stack, with the name of WAUPACA on the side of the stack, stands above the buildings in the background.

Soon, I'll take some photos of this area and post them.

Need to find a source of HO small trucks and autos for this scene. Anyone have any ideas?

That's all for now.

Greg

Greg - Just as in soldering, make sure that the points woll meet and gove a good connection. I used a piece of styrene wedged between the stock rail and the point to keep clearance for the wheels to pass through the turnout without any problems. The wedge also held the rail for soldering. Should work the same for super glue." Just a little dab will do it."

Afternoon All,

Had a lousy night of sleep last night so I was slow motivating myself today. I finished the trim on the freight house then I had to go to Lowes for Dremel metal cutoff wheels to start preparing the buss for the lighting (1 regular LED and 9 goose neck lights). I'll post pictures tomorrow because I will confuseo_O everyone if I try to explain it.

Willie and Chet thank you.

Willie- Nice motive power. When I was growing up in El Paso tumbleweeds were around all the time.

Chet- Great Mustang photo and rail shot, also the other plane photos.

Bob- Great plane photos.

Obviously there is a lot more to do but this gives the idea of what the freight house is going to look like.

20180522_131941.jpg

20180522_132011.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Reactions: bob
I have already super glued one of my turnouts. It works well. I have plastic throw bars on all of my turnouts. The rail broke flush at the edge of the throw bar. I'll give super glue a try as I initially thought it might work. This is a major turnout as it controls the yard entrance. Only dead spot on my entire layout. As it stands I can still run the loop no problems. I will try super glue first and see what happens. Hopefully I'll get a fix for it. If not I'll have to replace it.

Amazing aircraft and most of all, they were able to keep the older ones flying.
Sherrel, I'll be in southern California the weekend of 1 July for a few days. Do you want to take the RV and go up to Cajon Pass on Monday or Tuesday 2 or 3 July?

Howdy ...

Thanks everybody for the kind remarks regarding my photos and Johnny's photos of the Branson trip. He and I actually met for the first time in the Branson hobby shop prior to the train trip.

Bob and Chet ... The aircraft photos are impressive. Perhaps the old Pan Am plane is my favorite. ... We visited the air museum in Tucson, AZ several years ago, and it was worthwhile.

Curt ..... Your freight house is looking great. It is good to see model railroad progress here.

Willie ...... I like your Santa Fe SD40-2's. Nice photo .

Reactions: bob
We have a small airfield on the other side of the main highway, They have a number of warbirds on display and they build replica WW1 fighters. There is an ex Korean War P51D that often is stored there as well. Aussie built P51's at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) using Packard Merlins, beginning during WW2. The CAC models were desinated CA-17, 18 and 21. There is an annual airshow at the field. Unfortunately it clashes with my club's Open Day on the same weekend.

Good evening. It's mostly clear, breezy, and 82.
I'm sitting in our travel trailer, enjoying the cool air conditioning being blown around by the replacement new fan in the new air conditioner. I guess the fan would be the new, new fan, as opposed to the old new fan, which stopped working before we even had a chance to use it.

Good evening. It's mostly clear, breezy, and 82.
I'm sitting in our travel trailer, enjoying the cool air conditioning being blown around by the replacement new fan in the new air conditioner. I guess the fan would be the new, new fan, as opposed to the old new fan, which stopped working before we even had a chance to use it.
At least now you'll be able to dance the Fandango, and not break into a sweat.

We have a small airfield on the other side of the main highway, They have a number of warbirds on display and they build replica WW1 fighters. There is an ex Korean War P51D that often is stored there as well. Aussie built P51's at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) using Packard Merlins, beginning during WW2. The CAC models were desinated CA-17, 18 and 21. There is an annual airshow at the field. Unfortunately it clashes with my club's Open Day on the same weekend.

Toot: I would demand they change the date. The air show, not the Open Day. Priorities.

Toot: I would demand they change the date. The air show, not the Open Day. Priorities.

Yes, I agree, all I got to see in the distance, through a gap in the trees was a RAAF SuperHornet doing part of it's tail dance down the runway at about a 100ft or so. Talk about a din. Was told by the neighbour there were 2 doing it earlier in the day.

Amazing aircraft and most of all, they were able to keep the older ones flying.
Sherrel, I'll be in southern California the weekend of 1 July for a few days. Do you want to take the RV and go up to Cajon Pass on Monday or Tuesday 2 or 3 July?

Sounds like a plan!
Now that you have retired - why only a few days?
How about a week or two?

Could it be possible that Murphy has a brother and he is on the Left Coast?
If I unplug the charger from my HP Pavilion laptop ... it immediately shuts down even though the battery shows a 100% charge. It will not even attempt to start until it is "plugged in".
I replaced the battery per Geek's recommendation only a few months ago?

Could it be possible that Murphy has a brother and he is on the Left Coast?
If I unplug the charger from my HP Pavilion laptop ... it immediately shuts down even though the battery shows a 100% charge. It will not even attempt to start until it is "plugged in".
I replaced the battery per Geek's recommendation only a few months ago?
It's possible there is an issue with the new battery, or it is not plugged in/connection is loose.

Last edited:
I would vote for the bad connector. If the battery was replaced recently, possibly the installation was a sloppy job and the connection was made correctly.
Sherrel - I have a couple events to go to later in July up in Michigan, but I want to tour some areas in Colorado too along with a few people to stop in to see on the way too.

Good morning everyone. 67 and mostly sunny. Heading for 85 with a chance of showers today.

Yesterday I took the day off work, which is sort of dumb since I worked like crazy at the house, mostly doing yardwork. Also got some time in the train room running trains and working on scenery and some structure kits.

Garry - We did luck out on that train ride Saturday, since the local weatherguesser had rain in the forecast up until about 3 days before. Storms ended up mostly north of the Springfield-Branson area. Found out later there was some light hail in the area where we live, but didn't see any sign of it at our house. Wish there was more visible scenery on that train trip, but the conversation made up for it :)
Chet - Sent you a PM a few minutes ago.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 68° and clear; pool is 81° right now, perfect for me. I know where I'll be as soon as I return from my walk. The garden has officially moved from spring to summer production. Harvested the last beets, all of the onions and the heat has doomed the peas after a meager season for them. Froze or ate less than two dozen meals from the harvest. Typically I get about 30 meals from a row. Many tomato plants are well over 4' tall though, with tomatoes on many of them. The garlic should mature in another 10 days. The pickled beets that I made last week came out well; that receipe is a keeper and I will make a few more jars today or Friday. Meanwhile the grill is working overtime, getting used five of the last six evenings. No mowing yesterday, but I replaced it with about an hour of weed-eating; house, barn, train shed, pool, trees and garden/flowerbed borders. Whew!
Thanks for the comments on the SD40-2 lash-up Chet, Curt, Garry and anyone else that I may have missed.
Out in the train shed, I worked on roads and parking lots for phase II of my current project. Didn't make as much progress as I had hoped, but household chores and yardwork seemed to interfere. I'll have more time today since we're going out for supper and I won't have to spend time preparing it. Additionally, I made some minor repairs to several freight cars that I set on the RIP track over the past two weeks while I was cleaning and inspecting the fleet.

Chet - Of all of the places that I could add power lines, I picked this scene because there is going to be no need to reach through to reach trackage. It is also intended to be a primary visual scene on the layout. To add to the realism, I drilled .015" holes through all of the insulators on the crossarms so I could string the .010"wire through them; as opposed to gluing or wrapping it. Add to that the holes for the guy wires, feeder lines and transformer feeds, at least ten holes in each pole. But I believe that the final product will be worth it. Great airport pictures of some classic planes.
Bob - Really cool pictures of the planes. You do a great job at photographing moving objects.
Justin - I have repaired a couple of Atlas switches with Super Glue. Just be careful as you probably already know.
Greg - Don't you just love it when you find a lost and forgotten box of stuff. Unless you have replaced it and no longer have a use for it!
Curt - That freight house is going to look great in that location. Hope that you get the sleep situation under control.

A few odds and ends from my layout. Again, most of these are in unfinished areas, thus the lack of scenery. First up is "Joe's Radio". It is a simple structure made from DPM modular walls.
05-20-18 003.JPG

Next is "Ace Auto Parts". This is also a simple structure from Downtown Deco. As I have posted before, painting and weathering Randy's kits really sets them apart.
05-20-18 019.JPG

Next up is a Blair Line kit of "Pizzaland". It is a laser-cut wood structure and can be seen briefly in the opening credits of "the Sopranos" I am told.
05-20-18 020.JPG

Thinking of changing my avatar; anyone want to see a picture of yours truly? Warning, I'm not as handsome as Toot!
Everybody have a great day. That's my plan. By the way, did I start something with the plane pictures?;)

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back