CB&Q F7 A Unit...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I finally got the correct decals for the CB&Q F7 B Unit and have started decalling it, although not with too a great a start:

I settled on a color based on the principle that not all engines are colored the same:

45o8cCj.jpg

iTGX5eR.jpg

As you can see, I had a "fight" with the decal:

a7vQjp1.jpg

ocAmDqs.jpg

As said, not that great a job and am disappointed with what has been done so far. Hopefully the other side will look better as that is the side that will be most seen.

Thanks Sherrel BUT, I tore the main red strip as I was sliding it in place at both ends and it "dips" a little on the right hand side. That's what annoys me a bit, I didn't take enough care.

Other than that, it isn't too bad. I AM my own worse critic and I do aim to get what I do right, even if it isn't historically or prototypically correct. :)

That must br nerve-wracking trying to decal N scale? Especially a straight line the length of a loco or a car.
After working on the 7.5 inch track width cars and locos, even O scale seems small and I'm thinking about HO again. Am I nuts?
I can see, I think, what you are referring too.

Working in N Scale is definitely a challenge and something that tests the patience and ones resolve; however, that is what makes it so much fun for me ... everything that I do is a challenge for me. If it was easy, it probably wouldn't be as addictive and I certainly wouldn't feel as though I achieved anything.

In so far as decals go though, I don't think the scale is that important as you do the same thing, use the same materials regardless of the scale. Granted, because the decals are smaller I guess you do have to be a little more careful.

Right now I have just added the "Red Stripe" (a little less than a mil wide) down the length of the car which is about 3.75" long. Murphy's law, but it went on well :rolleyes:

Are you "nuts" for wanting to go back to HO Scale after O Scale ... hell yeah! If I had the room for an O Scale, that would be my choice probably, maybe - hell I don't know. When I transitioned to N Scale I was worried about the size of everything, I'd gotten accustomed to HO and N Scale looked to be too much of a nightmare. Now I have worked with it for over a year, it has become the norm and when I now look at my HO stuff, I think - wow, that is enormous and how easy would it be to do with it what I am doing with N Scale. It all boils down to what you get used to. So, going back to HO - you wont have a problem and will quickly adapt to it's size :)

Last edited:
The next step, with one to go:

Adding the small "Red Strip" along the rivets above the main stripe:

QAnxfm3.jpg

Next step is adding the 3 window surrounds ... that'l be fun!

Got it finished, well one side anyway. I'll do the other side tommorow:

qfkC96M.jpg

With the exception of the "initial stuff up" I don't think it turned out a complete disaster.

YES, Nice work there. Dirty up the roof just a little and that will add realism to it.
Considering the photo on my laptop is at least HO size - I think it has turned out great!

Have tried to fix this up a bit. Not sure if I made it worse or not...

3X1z7nf.jpg

Started the other side as well:

jq4KPiw.jpg

Still getting tears in this particular decal and still not sure why. All the others are going on very well?

Tony ..... Looks great so far...... I also had the red decals split when I did CB&Q F-units, but I found it was easy to touch up with red paint using a very small artist brush.

I do have some of the Chinese Red so might go around it and touch it up in places. I did have one extra Stripe so I cut that into smaller pieces and added them. The paint probably would have been a better and easier way to go though.

Are those old decals that are cracking or coming apart after you soak them? If so, you might consider Microscale Liquid Decal Film. It's a liquid with which you apply a thin coat over the decal (and allow to dry) before soaking. It forms another "layer" of clear over the decal and should prevent it from coming apart.

However the downside is that it ends up making the decal slightly thicker, so if you're trying to get it to adhere to complex shapes...you'll have to decide whether it's worth it.

You are using a decal setting solution like Micro Set and Micro Sol right?

skyliner,

Nope, they are brand new straight from Microscale and yep, I use Micro Set and Micro Sol and also have Badger equivalents as well. Other people, more proficient at decaling than I, have said they have had similar problems with the main red stripe of this particular decal set. All of the other stripes etc worked well.

Back