Started the F7A paint...

Ken,

Thank you and I think I have a place for a reasonable trestle on the layout plan :) I did intend putting the train together and running around my new test track; however, (Murphy's law) my NCE Handset crapped out so now I have nothing until the new system arrives. That probably wont be till next week :(

Might have to "borrow" the DC controller my wife "borrowed" from me :)

Olie,

Thanks it's getting there one day at a time.

Toot'n,

I have no idea what happened to it. Moved the system to the larger test track set it up, plugged the handset in, selected forwards, turned the speed control wheel and nothing. The wheel moved but had no effect on anything. The speed remained at "0". Tried it in reverse and same thing. Tried the increment buttons and still nothing.

So I think it just wore out as none of the buttons on the hand set worked.

Completed (almost) the Paired window Coach Car this evening making a total of 4 cars for the railway:

gPltNQL.jpg

This is the engine that will be most used to pull them:

IVmYcxV.jpg

5ZZhba9.jpg

Thanks Bobby, it is getting there slowly. Once I reassemble the above Coach I'll have two more cars to do. Then, I need to take a serious look at getting my layout under way. Running these on a test track to make sure everything is okay but really want them on a full layout.

My Modelflex Gloss Clear arrived this morning so I hand painted the current "in progress" car with it.

3DWUbwB.jpg

The Modelflex goes on pretty well by brush BUT, and obviously, not as well as with the airbrush. While the "gloss" isn't as shiny as I thought it might be it did remove the obvious edge around the decals very nicely and give the color a deeper, slightly darker appearance. Or more accurately, blended the decal in.

Thanks. The picture makes it look more purple than blue, but the blue is nice especially with the grey. I've said it before but one of these days I'll take the train outside where I can get more natural pictures.

All I am waiting for is the Model Master Wood color to arrive so I can finish this one and start the second last one. I'm getting impatient to see the whole train finished and to see just how long it will be.

Completed (almost) the Paired window Coach Car this evening making a total of 4 cars for the railway
I don't know how hard those cars are to "open", but the ones I deal with regularly are a real challenge. I might recommend painting the interiors, at least the carpet and mohair of the seating while you have them apart. Might be much easier than re-opening them to do it later.

Horseman,

They aren't that bad to open up, remove the roof from but getting it back is another matter. They are a precise fit and only go one way so a little extra "effort" is needed.

I have gotten into a routine with these, pull the cars apart then paint the shell exterior, the base coat for the interior and the roof. The following day I detail, as much as I can, the interior, and do the inside walls of the shell. The next day I put the decals on and give it a coat of gloss clear. I then reassemble the thing the next day and let it sit on the track.

The interior detailing is pretty much restricted to doing the seats and tables where applicable; although, I'd like to be able to do the floor a different color to represent carpet but think that will be too fiddly.

Well, am still waiting the arrival of the Model Master Acrylic Wood from Hobbyinc so haven't assembled the Coach Car as yet.

I have completed the new "Test Track" to accomodate this train and I think it will look great with all of the cars attached:

My ONLY concern is the power of the Bachmann 4-6-2. It seems to struggle a bit pulling 3 Heavy Weights on the flat so am wondering how many cars, and what it will do, on a 2% grade. Hopefully, it will do the job as "speed" isn't a priority with this engine.

My ONLY concern is the power of the Bachmann 4-6-2. It seems to struggle a bit pulling 3 Heavy Weights on the flat so am wondering how many cars, and what it will do, on a 2% grade. Hopefully, it will do the job as "speed" isn't a priority with this engine.
If it becomes an issue, you can put Bullfrog Snot on one pair of drivers. I don't think the Bachmann Pacific has any traction tires.

A bullfrog hunting we will go....a bullfrog hunting we will go.....hi ho the merry o....a bullfrog hunting we will go. YereerChooo!!

Thanks Terry. If it does become an issue, where do you get this Bullfrog Stuff? We have deer, fox, rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk, woodchuck, coyote, bear, mountain lions, ducks, geese, skunks but no Bullfrogs that I know of :)

Greg,

Thank you for those very kind words. I have to admit, my painting and (especially) my getting decals on is getting better. much better where the decaling is concerned.

Don't know about opening my own "shop" but I think I am getting a "little closer" (albeit slowly) to the very high quality of yours, and others, work here.

Did a bit more to the final Sleeper Car interior and I think it turned out okay so far:

CnpdGgx.jpg

OSWYsHl.jpg

Basically, the car interior will have Darkish Green Carpet, plush leather seats with black sides. Black beds and basins with the all walls and seat partitions being Model Master Wood colored. Hopefully I can get that done later tonight.

Once this one is finished I will have one more to do, the RPO Car. I envisage that being pretty straight forward and an easy detail compared to the others :)

Back