Recent content by VA3TOM

1. VA3TOM

Some CN units from my collection...

This model is O scale. I love the CN green of this era.
  2. VA3TOM

Lightbox experiment.

I used a combination of florescent lights and a 1000 watt shop light. The fouries gave a diffused light to the subject, while the very bright shop light cast good shadows the way sunlight does. Small halogen lights will do the same thing.
  3. VA3TOM

Weekly Photo Fun 7-16/7-22

I did code 100 with shinohara spikes. They had a good point on them, but I still had trouble that I traced to the wood glue I used to put the ties down. The spike would go through the tie, then hit the glue and bend. This caused 'Blue Air' in the RR room. I did get pretty good at hand laying...
  4. VA3TOM

What's your Best custom locomotive?

Here is some paint work I did for a freind a while ago. Not custom, but one of my favorite engine / paint schemes. The Michigan Central Railroad ran through Southern Ontario Canada and had a branch to Niagara On The Lake...
  5. VA3TOM

CNR Caboose

Nice Caboose. Not too many of the CNR ones out there. I am working on a CNR brass O scale caboose, more of a winter project though. Here's what I start out with. Oh, and I like my Pentax K100D as well!
  6. VA3TOM

Weekly Photo Fun 4-03/4-09

Jeffrey, my memory bank is struggling, was that from John Allen's layout? Oh, just googled it and there it was!
  7. VA3TOM

Weekend Photo Fun 12-5/12-8

N S & T 15, 18, and 20 waiting the days orders.
  8. VA3TOM

Weekend Photo Fun 11-14/11-17

Hi Jim. I model a local line that ran here in the Niagara Peninsula called the Niagara, St. Catharines and Toronto Railway. A few lads were interested in the line and actually scaled the original plans down to O scale and etched brass stock to create these traction motors and street cars...
  9. VA3TOM

Weekend Photo Fun 11-14/11-17

New Unit New MGL unit 2017 doing some yard duty. These are taken with my Canon P & S. I should try and get some better shots with the DSLR sometime.
  10. VA3TOM

Haloween Weekend photofun 31Oct-2Nov

A quick picture of N S & T units 15 & 18.
  11. VA3TOM

Weekend Photo Fun 10-17,18,19

Thanks! I am in O scale, live overhead traction.
  12. VA3TOM

Weekend Photo Fun 10-17,18,19

Here is my summer project, as I don't do a lot of basement time when the weather is good. This is unit 15 from the N S & T. They had unit 8, 15 and 19 that were the same type of motor. They were originally black, but eventually CN painted them green. Here is the etched brass shell with the...
  13. VA3TOM

DCC decoder tester project.

Took a bit, but here it is! Wiring the Decoder Tester. I put alligator clips on the ends of the wire for Track Feed. The track feed wire goes to the center part of the first DPDT toggle. With BOTH toggles in the Up position (or down, doesn't matter) the toggle connects the RED track feed...
  14. VA3TOM

DCC decoder tester project.

I wanted to find a better way to test the decoders. I wasn't fond of trying to alligator clip the wires to the track feed, and twist the wires to the LT1 tester. I went to Radio Shack and picked up a small project box and a 4 terminal speaker quick connect. I had a few DPDT toggles laying...
  15. VA3TOM

Digitrax and double power truck problem?

I am thinking I was taken. I got 4 decoders in an auction on ebay. One decoder was chipped at the plug end, so the seller sent an extra one. I thought that was more than fair and after testing them with the LT1, I posted positive feedback. After wiring and burning 3 up, I thought it was...

Back