Recent content by taholmes

1. T

Easy Model Railroad Inventory Software

Hi Guys: This may have been asked before, but I'll ask again in case its changed Are there any users of EMRI (Easy Model Railroad Interface) in the group? I am using it, and I like it but would like to talk some things over with experienced users Thanks TIM
  2. T

What do I do with this spot?

Hi Folks: Ive got this big chunk of real estate left in my layout plan, and I am not real sure what should go in there -- Its a modern day layout depicting a very busy bridge line between the BNSF and UP across LaVeta pass (VERY Freelanced) (and in somewhat of an alternate universe) The...
  3. T

Sound and Motor Decoders for N Scale Kato SD90/43mac and P40FH

When I first bought these 2 locos, I made a bad mistake and put in MRC decoders which have been no end of troubles. So I want to replace them. I am looking for some kind of a drop in decoder replacement. Sound is important but moreso is motor control. I run an NCE powercab -- I found the...
  4. T

Ends of the Main Buss

Cool -- thats more or less what I was planning, but I wanted to be sure
  5. T

Ends of the Main Buss

Hi Guys: I am getting ready to start installing my main buss and a few of the sub busses and hopefully laying some track in the next couple days!!! the layout is U shaped around the wall. As I pull in the main buss that is attached to the plug panel where the NCE power cab plugs in, the buss...
  6. T

Painting track for "Stand Off Scale"

HI Folks: IM looking for suggestions of what colors to use for painting track for what some call 3 foot scale -- as in it looks good at 3 feet distance -- I want it to look "Good" but not take hours on each section of track. This railroad is designed for operation, and i want it to look decent...
  7. T

San Luis and Rio Grande -- A new Hope

Good Evening everyone Several people have suggested that the Hidden staging yard on my plan might be a place for problems to bite me, and someone (or maybe more than one someone) suggested moving it to the front of the line and making it an open yard, so I pulled out the track planning...
  8. T

Cork on plywood or cork on foam on plywood

Hi Sherrel: The layout is around the wall in a 10 x 10 bedroom - Here is the link to the design thread https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/san-luis-and-rio-grande-a-new-hope.32510/ This will be in N scale At this point im thinking box frame, and mostly a solid tabletop...
  9. T

Cool -- thanks Willie -- that makes a lot of sense
  10. T

HI Folks: Hopefully going to start cutting wood and building in the next day or 2, and I have been wondering if cork roadbed on directly on the 1/2 inch plywood or if putting 1 inch of pink foam under it first (allowing me to carve creeks and rivers and other depressions is the way to go. in...
  11. T

Hi McLeod -- that second level is 2.5 inches above the railhead below -- I will likely use 1/8 masonite (tempered hardboard) to make sure I have sufficient clearance below TIM
  12. T

ya, thats the plan -- the upper line will climb over the hidden staging TIM
  13. T

HI Guys: Been busy updating stuff, and putting in industries and and terrain. The terrain is kinda rough b/c my planning software doesnt handle terrain well at all. As always, comments and critiques are very welcome -- some have sent pictures that they have of the area and the San Luis and Rio...
  14. T

Heres the basic benchwork plan for the layout -- I dont have the legs shown, but they will generally be in the corners . There are doubled cross members which are where the individual units will be spliced together (simply to make it easier to get in the door) I have access to a 10 inch radial...
  15. T

Hi GeeTee: The benchwork will be open grid made of 3/4 plywood on max 16 inch centers -- there will be legs dropping to the floor with leveling bolts to adjust things with. Subroadbed will be 1/2 inch plywood, with open spots filled with foam, or possibly cut out and dropped -- not sure yet --...

Back