Recent content by smiley

1. smiley

In November I would like to see your Pride & Joy

nah, just call it a still from a twilight zone episode! :D
  2. smiley

Amtrak on my layout.

Nice locomotives! Do you have the railcars as well?
  3. smiley

Wpf 10-28/11-03

been busy the last few months but its good to be back! Been playing around with photoshop filters to get that "hipster vintage" effect that's so popular these days, though nothing quite beats black and white! Final image: This is one of those Christmas Village buildings repainted to...
  4. smiley

Weekly Photo Fun for the New Year 12/31-1/6

That's one rather steep grade leading up to the bridge! :eek:
  5. smiley

Amtrak

Don't worry too much - it's not like Amtrak instantaneously repaints all its engines and cars when it changes it paint schemes. You can just model one of the transition years.
  6. smiley

Amtrak

A couple other things to think about... - Amtrak train length fluctuates sometimes. Right now it's peak holiday travel season and some trains have extra cars. - The California in-state routes have a different paint scheme. This may also be true for some of the other state supported routes. -...
  7. smiley

Christmas Weekend Photo Fun 12/24-27

I agree, the red and orange goes great with the yellowish-green California scenery. And everyone knows, red paint makes vehicles go faster. :D
  8. smiley

Needing a very short HO scale loco

If you are up for doing something completely custom, you could take the powered truck from a standard diesel and wire it up so it runs independently, then drape a shell over it. Probably can get down to 3" that way.
  9. smiley

NASA Railroad

That would be a unique and exciting scene to make. Reminds me somewhat of a topic I once came across online, about how a model railroad magazine during the height of the space race featured a moon base layout.
  10. smiley

Christmas Weekend Photo Fun 12/24-27

Merry Christmas from California! It's been a good year for trains out here, ridership on local trains has continued to grow, new light rail and subway extensions are being built in SF and LA, and funding has arrived for the first segment of high speed rail.
  11. smiley

HO basic ?'s

Other thoughts for planning ahead: - A larger radius for curves, such as 22", will allow smoother operation of a wider range of locomotives, in particular long ones. - I use basic track and it lays down pretty easily. Cost is the biggest consideration. - DC transformer would be much easier...
  12. smiley

My COTS Christmas village

Looks nice! Setting up holiday villages is one of my favorite parts of modeling. It's amazing how I can sometimes just sit and watch the trains go in a loop for half an hour. There must be something symbolic of circular motion that makes it so charming.
  13. smiley

Weekly photo fun 11-26 to 12-2

That is one beautiful sunset!
  14. smiley

Ain't it a little cold to be opening the windows? :D
  15. smiley

It's holiday time in hippie land, and here comes the trains! Finally fixed a traction problem on the high speed locomotive by putting some more weight on top of it. The engine has only one set of drive wheels, located all the way at the end of a 12" chassis no less. Local train no. 345...

Back