Recent content by skyliner

1. skyliner

Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

I couldn't resist! As of about a week ago, I didn't know this model existed (they're brand new). Then an article from Trains magazine came across my feed and caught my attention. Did a quick search online and to my surprise, an online shop that I trust had a few in stock. This is a rather rare...
  2. skyliner

Looking for my grandpas GN X5136 build

Do you have any idea of when it was sold to Scale Model Supplies? Do you know if it was put on display there, or left in its box? Are you certain it has been sold by SMS already? I've been visiting Scale Model Supplies every couple months for probably over ten years now. I don't recall seeing...
  3. skyliner

RDC

As you may already know, the short-lived ATT was primarily an importer of models from places like Japan, Yugoslavia, and Britain. Although the company was based in Wisconsin, I believe most of their products were made overseas. Why they put 'Budd' on the car, who knows. Maybe Budd required it...
  4. skyliner

Decoder Installation Question

The response you received on the MRH forum is basically correct. Connectors are JST type. There are a myriad of different size JST connectors (especially with the advent of drones and other battery powered gizmos), and you probably won't be able to find another connector with the same pin...
  5. skyliner

Walthers decal issues

When I was younger, I used to let decals soak much longer, until they came off the backer. I lost a number of decals that way, they'd float off and fold over themselves or ball up. I don't know if this is true, but I've also heard that soaking too long can reduce the adhesive on the decal as...
  6. skyliner

Walthers decal issues

I don't let my decals soak too long, maybe 20-45 seconds. I also use warm water most of the time. Then I place it on a paper towel until it floats free. That can sometimes take a couple minutes. The initial soaking is all it usually needs to get it started, it doesn't need to sit in the water...
  7. skyliner

Walthers decal issues

I'll second what NVS mentioned above, decals apply best to a glossy surface. Also, are you using just Micro Sol, or are you using Micro Set as well? I've been building models since I was young, and the system I've settled on for decals is as follows: -Paint model, allow to fully dry. -If matte...
  8. skyliner

Midwest Monday

Pacing a northbound mixed freight along US 45 near Champaign, IL in 2007. Two IC GP38-2s in the lead. On the first flat is a Caterpillar 773F rock or "haul" truck.
  9. skyliner

Insert Train Here....

Yes! I can contribute to this thread, sorry I didn't see it earlier. Sunset on the NS main just west of Tolono, IL in 2007.
  10. skyliner

Any tips on cracked gears?

Huh, I could have sworn NWSL was going out of business a couple years ago. Looks like they were saved after all. Assuming the product line is the same, their variety of wheel and axle sizes was always great for fine-tuning repairs.
  11. skyliner

Loksound Decoder and cube speaker 8 pin plug

It looks like the 58420 is a blank decoder, i.e. it doesn't have any sound files on it, you need to load what type of sounds you wish to use. I've never done that, I've only installed a couple Loksound decoders, but those already had sounds built in. From a quick search, it looks like you...
  12. skyliner

Haven't done this for years!

It depends on what your desired modeling "goal" is-- e.g. mostly building and modeling without an emphasis on running trains; less realism but more of a fun layout that will fit your space; or something somewhat prototypical with realistic operations (just some examples). If you are leaning...
  13. skyliner

Midwest Monday

Thread revival! Triplecrown Roadrailers roll west through Tolono, IL towards the setting sun. In a moment they will be crossing the CN/IC diamond. Photo taken 2007.
  14. skyliner

Penn Central F units in freight service?

Here's a bunch of pictures of that actual locomotive in service: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=66246 And if you look here at the full directory of PC F7A pictures, you'll see almost all are in freight service. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=PC&mid=136...
  15. skyliner

Trackside Thursday

Former passenger depot in Hastings, still used by CP for MOW and other crews, and single locomotive shed. In the distance is the lift bridge over the Mississippi River originally built by the Milwaukee Road. The main line is to the right of the buildings in this picture, running north over the...

Back