Recent content by sd50f

1. S

Athearn Boxcar Kits

Slide them on using one side of the bottom rail. They usually take a little bit of force to go on, but they will slide on to the rail. Then attach the top rail. It helps if you slide the door on at a bit of an angle... Timothy Dineen
  2. S

Ho scale hood sides

Beautiful work, Chris. Keep it up! Timothy Dineen
  3. S

Couplers and Trucks

Couplers - you can't go wrong with Kadee. They are now the standard coupler out there. The Bachmann ones, if they're the ones I have seen, are made out of plastic. A bit too much abuse and they'll come apart, which means you have to replace a coupler. Trucks - if you're not worried about...
  4. S

jeffery check this out lol

Realistic with authentic colors and markings, too...
  5. S

Home made graffiti decals

Flickr. Just type in "rail graffiti" or "train graffiti" or just plain "graffiti" and you'll get hundreds of pages with thousands of pictures. A note...you won't be able to copy or save the photos. timothy dineen
  6. S

Stripping paint from plastic models

Whatever you do, stay away from PineSol. It was recommended to me, and it nearly ate a Walthers coil car kit that I was stripping. Turned it into a curved coil car...the hoods were unusable after, and it took a lot of styrene, patience, and swearing to make the coil car even somewhat usuable...
  7. S

Railflyer Updates

So, I noticed we're having our monthly "let's bury him in the ballast" post and figured I'd chime in. I have no connection to Chris Howard or Railflyer other than that I'm a satisfied customer. Yes, I've actually purchased items from Railflyer and received them. I sent him money last week...
  8. S

Led

There's a business in Hong Kong that sells SMD leds, and I bought some a few years back. Great service and great product. And the best part...free shipping. The white leds are actually white (not blue or yellow) and work great. The figures and cars are usually undersized, as they are for...
  9. S

Why did this sell so high?

The scary part of it is that it started as a 99 cent item and jumped to that price. It's a nice looking car, but I've bought three powered locomotives with shipping for less than that. Some people get competitive, I guess. Too rich for my blood...I'll take an Intermountain one and paint it...
  10. S

Good philips screwdriver for Atlas engines

I got two last Christmas from the wife that were from The Source (ie. Radio Shack here in Canada). One is called the Teeny Turner and the other is a Nexxtech 8 in 1 Ratchet screwdriver. Both come with extra bits (including Philips) and they can both easily fit into a pocket. Inexpensive and...
  11. S

A "Wireless" DCS?

Sorry about that...guess I put something in a sentence that should have gone on its own. Yeah, the NMRA had nothing to do with the change in couplers. But the change has been a mostly welcome one. I'm not a fan of the knockoffs, but at least you can use them. The X2F couplers are...
  12. S

A "Wireless" DCS?

For me, it wouldn't be that much to convert over to a wireless system. I don't have a layout and don't have a DCC system at the moment. I could very easily switch to a wireless method of control. I don't think we'll have to get rid of the stuff we have in order to make the switch, as all of...
  13. S

A "Wireless" DCS?

"Are you going to run a Christmas train?" Funny, that was one of the first things I thought of building when I heard about the number of leds you could connect. I go to see the CP Rail Holiday Train when it goes by my house every year, and that would be one impressive model to build. But the...
  14. S

A "Wireless" DCS?

"By "Wireless" i meant the act of communicating between a throttle and a locomotive via radio signals instead of track signals." That's precisely what the Railflyer system is set up for. The decoder and batteries are in the locomotive, and you only need to wire enough track to set up a...
  15. S

A "Wireless" DCS?

Ring Engineering and Railflyer are both working on wireless DCC systems. The Ring one will work with your current DCC system, and the Railflyer doesn't need any infrastructure in place, as the locomotive will work with a tablet for controls and batteries in the locomotive. Timothy Dineen

Back