Recent content by picsntrains

1. P

DCC - Do I need two auto-reversers or only one?

I would put two more insulated gaps at the extreme ends of your layout one on each end, like just outside the tunnel. Then you can run both reversing sections off of one reverser and it will work fine unless you have two locos going in or out of the reversed zones at the same time. If you...
  2. P

A weird problem...and a lesson learned

I'm guessing it might have been a ground-loop. Depending on where the power supplies were plugged in and how they were grounded, you can actually end up with different voltages on the grounds! This difference in potential can induce noise on signal lines. The new AC power supply is isolated...
  3. P

Reverse Loops, Polarity Conflicts & DCC

I think it was said but you need two insulating gaps. The best way is to install an automatic reverser on the isolated section. This won't work for the layout given, but if it was just a single balloon track, not connected to anything else, then there is another way. I haven't actually...
  4. P

To Twist or Not To Twist

I think it was already said but having heavy enough wire to handle the current for longer distance is probably more important than twisted or untwisted. For example, if you ran 100' of #22, which would be a HUGE layout, you'll have 1.6 ohm on each wire, or 3.2 ohms total which means you'll lose...
  5. P

To Twist or Not To Twist

I have over 40 years of electronics experience so let me add: The DCC output is a huge square wave, which in itself generates all kinds of harmonics (essentially noise) plus when you put a few motors on the track (locos), you get a whole bunch more noise with a fairly high current level. You...
  6. P

Activate a remote switch machine and show their position with a LED indicator

simple circuit for atlas turnout indicator I used simple cmos flip flops on my N layout and have built a bunch for my Dad's HO layout. They use combination red/green led's to indicated thrown/closed. Each flip-flop indicates one turnout and there are four flip-flops on each board. Send me an...
  7. P

Converting older engines to DCC

I've spent $20 each on decoders to convert older locos. Some of them can be a real challenge, especially in N-scale. I've converted an SW9 N-scale; one of the most satisfying conversions, but very tricky. My point in writing is with cheap locos, you need to make sure you keep the track free...
  8. P

S88 via Xpressnet in JMRI???

The real beauty of DCC is like they say: run your trains, not your tracks. My dad will never switch to DCC because of the expense, but he has a myriad of switches and power packs that he has to keep switching just to run a train around and through his layout. One thing I love is to bring a 2nd...
  9. P

It's not a question of wiring. I understand all that "gibberish". It's a question about the software. I got a reply from some guys in the JMRI users group that says the sensors will be listed as XSnnn or something like that since they will be Xpressnet Sensors. That sounds like a good place...
  10. P

S88 or S88-N is a way of getting feedback from devices on the layout. It is basically a big long shift register and each board that plays the game is hooked in series with the shift register and shifts the data from the upstream board, along with its own data to the downstream board. The...
  11. P

Hello, I'm new to this group. I belong to the JMRI group but there doesn't seem to be any mention of S88 over there so I thought I try here. I've built a few of Paco's projects, SimpleMaus, MiniMaus, GenLI, NanoX and now NanoX-S88. These use XpressNet. I want to use S88 to provide...

Back