Recent content by peter.lieber

1. P

Custom Build Engine

Those Bull-ant systems look intriguing. Does any other company make something similar? I like to stay in the U.S. for purchasing.
  2. P

Custom Build Engine

OK, Box? I am feeling a bit greener than I thought now. What do you all mean about "box engines"? I have been a train fan all my life, and have been collecting very lightly since I was 7 (although my collection is Marklin, I have decided I want to pursue my home country's style and price :)...
  3. P

Custom Build Engine

Simple First step Jim, Yes, it is strange, but as you noticed, it should be pretty simple for a first project. I will look into the locomotive you suggested. I am doing HO scale. Do people usually buy and modify prebuilt locos or are there sources of locomotive chassis, trucks, etc. for...
  4. P

Custom Build Engine

Hello, I am slowly trying to learn some things about modeling. One of my plans is to build a layout of Utah railroads in 1925 and 2025. As I am still in school, I want to start learning how to do some custom modeling. I want to scratchbuild a locomotive that was built by the Emigration...
  5. P

Modular Layout Assembly

Electrical Here is a couple pictures of the electrical wiring.
  6. P

Modular Layout Assembly

More Pictures, more progress I have come a long way. You can't see it, but I have wired the power and comm bus for the sensors underneath. I have also added a sneeze guard to discourage curious kids from walking off with an engine. Now its time to program. I have an event in...
  7. P

City-scape

Below is a sketch I did after a couple hours learning xtrkcad. It follows the prototype track alignment pretty well. However, I may want to make more room for the bus stations and Intermodal hub station building.
  8. P

Modular Layout Assembly

Here is the completed modules with marklin c track. I finally can work on the fun stuff: automation!
  9. P

City-scape

Jim, You are probably right. I didn't think about the width of the track. I will rework it. I need to try a real track CAD program anyways. Thanks for the tip. P.S. are you the same Jim with the article in the recent special issue of Model Railroader?
  10. P

City-scape

I am leaning toward HO scale. I have always had HO and don't know if I want to go any smaller, especially if I am going to scratch build many structures. For HO scale, this first module will be 3' x 6'. (using the suggested 3' block size). The one thing that this will do is make many of my...
  11. P

City-scape

Sketch I have a sketch here of what I will probably be first doing: the SLC intermodal hub. Here is a picture of google maps. This is an old image, so it doesn't even have the commuter rail or light rail platforms. Here is my sketch:
  12. P

Modular Layout Assembly

Well, this isn't your normal layout. I am using it for demonstrating a new control system I am developing (www.ece.usu.edu/dtl). I am using the markling digital control system as well as their sectional track. If I had to do it over, I would use DCC, but this i have been collecting for 20...
  13. P

Modular Layout Assembly

It works! I got it to work with the larger hole and smaller bolt idea! Thanks!
  14. P

Modular Layout Assembly

Very good point, D&J. I think I will tried the enlarged hole approach. I believe my skills may be good enough to get within 1/8". Thanks.
  15. P

Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Jim, I am an avid Swiss train fan. I am looking into ways to make my own catenary system. Where do you purchase the insulators and other hardware that you use on your layout? Also, is there resources out there to help me with making the overhead wire? I have tried a couple different things...

Back