Recent content by pdqtimetrialer

1. P

BLI J1E Hudson

I like the idea of adding extra mass and a spring to improve traction. I'll see what I can fabricate. Thanks
  2. P

BLI J1E Hudson

The curves on my layout are 22-24" radius. Should there be a spring on the pilot truck? The only thing keeping it on the track is its own gravity. It can pivot freely left and right, and quite a bit up and down. Any extra washers around the screw?
  3. P

BLI J1E Hudson

I have an old BLI J1E Hudson I bought used. The pilot truck has the propensity to derail and looks like it is missing a piece or two. Does anyone else have one of these, and if so, could you post a picture of it? BLI no longer offers spare parts but maybe I could fabricate something if I knew...
  4. P

double track reverse loop

This diagram shows how the crossing is wired. There are 4 circuits. I essentially have the left half of the diagram.
  5. P

Iron Horse is right. I am thinking of having two trains running side by side, going into the reverse loops, so it makes sense that the reverse loops would need to be separate circuits in the event the gaps were bridged simultaneously. Which got me thinking more about reverse loops. Imagine a...
  6. P

It makes sense that the crossing would need to be isolated. I'll remove the soldered railjoiners and replace them insulated ones. So there is one auto-reversing for the crossing. Can I use one auto-reverser and tie both the return loops together, or do they need to be separate, for a total of...
  7. P

I have a double track mainline reverse loop that I would like advice on for wiring to Digitrax DCC. Picture #2 shows an overall view of the two tracks to the mainline on the left and tracks to the loops on the right. Picture 1 shows detail of the crossing. The switches are from Atlas and the...
  8. P

Min. radius for Branchline Trains

I've assembled several Branchline trains passenger cars in anticipation of reclaiming my train room and starting a layout again. During an early test I discovered that the Branchline Trains cars require a very large radius, more than what I can accommodate. Does anyone have pictures on how...
  9. P

double track viaduct

Can the micro engineering tall steel viaduct be used for double track? I would think the bridge itself could be easily widened. I am wondering about the towers.
  10. P

Castleton Cutoff

Thanks for the advice and especially the photos. I see I got a big project ahead of me!
  11. P

Castleton Cutoff

Yep, that's the bridge. I model HO scale. Obviously, it will need to be a compressed version. Overall bridge length will be about 4-5 feet. I like the unique feature of the bridge, with the double arches of unequal sizes.
  12. P

Castleton Cutoff

Does anyone have suggestions for modeling the 2 arched bridges of NYC's Castleton Cutoff? Are there any of the shelf kits that come close? I'm also looking for good pictures.

Back