Recent content by pa steam

1. P

Athearn blue box decoder help

Update: I found the part I broke on Athearns site. They list it as a spline coupling. Hopefully I will be back in business.
  2. P

Different issue. I broke it after checking if the motor was completely isolated.
  3. P

I was double checking my connections and ended up breaking a plastic flywheel bushing. Ugh!!! Now to try and find a replacement.
  4. P

My Polar Express

Very nice. I love the snow covered mountain.
  5. P

I just recently purchased the Digitrax DH163AT decoder for an Athearn blue box PA-1 diesel. I have never installed a decoder before but did a little research and figured I would give it a try. Well I got it all wired and put it on the track and the light is lit and the engine begins to move...
  6. P

track cleaning frequency?

Thanks for the replies. I will definately try your suggestions. I recently cleaned all my locomotive wheels but not my rolling stock. Looks like I have some work to do.
  7. P

track cleaning frequency?

How often do you need to clean track when running DCC loco's? I ask because it seems that I need to do it every few days anymore. I have only been using a brite boy on the rails and they have quite a bit of black oxidation that is affecting the operation of the loco's. I recently cleaned the...
  8. P

consisting

That's interesting. I haven't had that happen yet.
  9. P

What State do you live in?

Northeastern PA Very close to Steamtown.
  10. P

Athearn Genesis F3 A/B

They run great and look fantastic. The sound is not that great though. If you are handy and can swap out decoders then I would get one. If sound isn't a big concern, you can also mute it. I think the diesel sound is good, the horn and bell are ok but some of the other sounds such as the...
  11. P

A different kind of model

Very interesting project. Looks good.:)
  12. P

Athearn Genesis

I just saw one of each at a local club open house. They ran well and sounded good. The one thing that looked really bad was the head lights. They were orange colored. Yuck !
  13. P

Athearn Genesis F3 A/B

I had a few minutes to try out my new loco's yesterday. I just ran them with the #3 address since I didn't have time to do any programing. The A/B units ran well except for a abrupt stop when throttling down. That may just be because they are new. Sound.....The jury is still out on this...
  14. P

EXTREME Makeover: Layout Edition

Great job in a limited time.:)
  15. P

Athearn Genesis F3 A/B

The instructions just say to "program the locomotive the same way you would program any other NMRA compatible decoder with your DCC system." I have a few DCC loco's but this is my first A/B unit. I have a few Proto 2000 steamers with excellent programing manuals. If you were ever new to...

Back