Recent content by otiscnj

1. otiscnj

Magilla’s first layout build.

Yeah, good point, Even when I was in 8th grade, and didn't have a job, hence couldn't afford cork, I cut up some cardboard we had laying around the house, and put it under the tracks, to give the impression of an elevated mainline, in prep of ballasting. Only sidings got laid directly on the...
  2. otiscnj

Any Conrail modelers here?

In my model reality, Conrail is mainly only a stripped down PC, based on a map of what was proposed in the early 1970's, after the bankruptcy, in TRAINS magazine, +/- few other branches that other's didn't want. Most other roads, EL, RDG/CNJ, remained out of Conrail, or were merged into other...
  3. otiscnj

A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Hey Eric, hope this year is better to you and your family than some of the more recent ones. As to your town's layout, I have the following ideas/suggestions: The Billiards Lounge needs to be elsewhere, such as a corner, type of building. Maybe put the gazebo in this area, adjacent to the...
  4. otiscnj

Help Me Plan My Layout

Like the background buildings! Makes you feel like its a large citified area you're getting into. You might add a highway bridge, or grade crossing somewhere, to add interest. What about adding the facade of a passenger station somewhere along the backdrop, as well as some platforms? Also...
  5. otiscnj

Help Me Plan My Layout

I'm not an expert of show/rock sheds, however the up-rights look too few, and/or undersized for what its intended to do. It might also need to be a bit wider, like almost as wide as the cliff, so stuff doesn't pile up, right next to the track, by late in the season.
  6. otiscnj

Help Me Plan My Layout

Nice looking town and all, but no sidings for industry/freight house, or even a team track? Besides hauling passengers and 'overhead/thru freight,' how does your railroad company in this area, 'make any money?' People usually need to work somewhere, to be able to afford to live somewhere nice...
  7. otiscnj

Help Me Plan My Layout

It looks to me, that you have enough room there, to add either, or possibly both a small 'car shop,' given the passenger cars you've got parked adjacent to the turntable. Another idea is to add a small 'thru,' or stub diesel house, in this area. I'm also not sure if where you have the coaling...
  8. otiscnj

Designing a Multi-Level Marklin C Track Layout with limited space

Never had any of these trains, but know they have incredible detail, and are very reliable. I was just going to make a few comments about length and location of several of the sidings, to gain a bit more room for longer trains, or continuous running on a single level, and such. I mean with...
  9. otiscnj

Designing a Multi-Level Marklin C Track Layout with limited space

Serge, Reusing any of an old layout, as long as things work reliably, and look OK, can save a bit of time, I've found, particularly if you still like what you did before. I've considered a triple decked layout in the past, but never built one. If you've got the room, how about using some IKEA...
  10. otiscnj

The Union Pacific Soggy Bottoms Subdivision (HO scale)

You know, that track on the grade, at the rear, you could put behind a view block, and extend it, around the entire room, so you can add a second level, and double the size of your layout without expanding into a larger foot print. If you go around the room, maybe twice or 3 times, you might...
  11. otiscnj

Granite Gorge and Northern - Ohio (cont'd)

you're welcome! No problem. Ideas are cheap; implementing them is another story..... 6x11' isn't much bigger, but would add a lot of possibilities for scenery, etc. I'll have to check out his video. over the last year or two, I've seen someone that was selling a sceniced version of this...
  12. otiscnj

Granite Gorge and Northern - Ohio (cont'd)

Yep, know about this problem myself. Sometimes too much going on in life or with the trains, to face the layout and the concept I'm trying to model. Just another thought on this, maybe the paint you used could conduct electricity some. If you painted the track, even where the rail gaps or...
  13. otiscnj

Magilla’s first layout build.

Any chance you can change the dimensions from 4x8 to 5x9, and then grow the layout from that size? Or even 5x8, or 4x9? I've found over the years, that going from a 4' wide to 5' wide layout, can add a lot in terms of the size of locos and rolling stock that will operate reliably. That...
  14. otiscnj

AHM freight Cars

These days, they be a far cry from the museum quality models that some companies put out. Back in the day, most of them were fine, for what they were-plastic, not brass, but that's a whole other discussion. Over the years, I did some upgrades, in terms of wheelsets, and couplers, to 'improve...
  15. otiscnj

Granite Gorge and Northern

I'd say google it-I've done that in the past, and if you call up images, or just 'all' you'll see all kinds of layouts based on the Atlas plan, in both HO, & N... Good luck!

Back