Recent content by NH Mike

1. N

Diosol replacement

Will do. I need to buy both solvents first. I'll probably go with 60 /40 first, see how well it thins and drying time. I will post results.
  2. N

Diosol replacement

Thanks. Maybe a 50 / 50 mix or more likely a bit less Toluene? Apparently both work fine depending how fast you want the paint to dry. I'm going to try 60 /40 for a start.
  3. N

Diosol replacement

Has anyone come up with a replacement for Floquil Diosol? I have quite a few bottles of Floquil paint but Diosol is no longer available. I once heard it was a mixture of toluene and zylene but never any proportions. What have you found that works?
  4. N

Jordan Highway Miniatures Vintage Vehicles - B-2 Steam Shovel HO Kit Help Please

Photo of mine. Unfortunately, I don't have the instruction sheet.
  5. N

Repowering old brass locos?

Agree. Over the years I've repowered several brass engines with NWSL parts. Their specs for their motors are very complete with dimensions and rpm. Most of the time a motor is not a direct drop onto original mounts so a bed of silicone sealer works just fine. Just be sure to keep it out of any...
  6. N

Colors for my personal railroad

I followed the New Haven scheme using SP Lark dark grey and NH red / orange. Also had custom decals made in the New Haven style. Loco numbers pick up after the last number the New Haven used for a particular class of engine.
  7. N

2022 Amherst Train Show at the Big "E"

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them. First time in many years I didn't go due to the weather.
  8. N

How to distinguish 2 similar locos

Paint the air horns a different color on one. Maybe silver and the other unit horns are black or roof color?
  9. N

Athearn steam locomotive tender bar

I agree with making one out of strip styrene since you don't need a metal to metal bar for current transfer from the tender to the engine unless that loose wire at the back of the cab was somehow connected to the original draw bar for electrical pick up. If the original was metal to be part of...
  10. N

ballast setter

Same here. After running the spreader along the track I find I have to even it out and get it off the ties with a soft 1/2 inch brush. Gave up and went back to using a spoon to drop the ballast and then the brush to even it out and trim beyond the outsides of the ties.
  11. N

Historic Railroad Songs

That song came to mind before I had even read your post. So I'll add a couple of my favorites. The city of New Orleans, I'm Movin' On, Waiting For a Train. A line I like from I'm Movin' On is "Mr engineer take the throttle in hand, this rattler's the fastest in the Southern land" Reminds me...
  12. N

An Old-School Craftsman Kit

I built that kit. Added a few parts here and there.
  13. N

Flat MOW Load

Nice job. Here's one I built from an old Athearn Blue Box bulkhead flat.
  14. N

How Many Different Locomotives Road Names do you Have on Your Layout?

My own road - Lobuc Valley, NH, a few NYC and one SP. Also some EMD and Alco demo units.
  15. N

Abandon NH photos near my house

Thanks George. If memory serves I seem to recall a similar bridge at or near Herkimer that could be seen from I-90. That one might have belonged to the NYC as it was a little too far west for the NH.

Back