Recent content by NH Mike

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. N

How Many Different Locomotives Road Names do you Have on Your Layout?

My own road - Lobuc Valley, NH, a few NYC and one SP. Also some EMD and Alco demo units.
  2. N

Abandon NH photos near my house

Thanks George. If memory serves I seem to recall a similar bridge at or near Herkimer that could be seen from I-90. That one might have belonged to the NYC as it was a little too far west for the NH.
  3. N

Transfer Cabooses (Cabeese)

I like them too. First picture is a brass N&W unit that I painted for my road. Second picture is one I kitbashed from a flatcar and an old caboose body I had laying around.
  4. N

Derelict builds - Best way to make 'em?

Not mine. Took this shot a couple of years ago at a show. About as derelict as it gets.
  5. N

Who uses No-Ox

I've been using ACT-6006 Track & Rail Cleaner ( www.aerocarlubricants.com ) for 3 years. Best stuff I ever used. Cleans well and does not seem to collect airborne dust. Not slippery even on my 3% grades. I apply it with an old lint free cotton handkerchief although the directions indicate it...
  6. N

Brass Locomotives

I only bought brass if it was something that was not made in any other material and I actually had an interest in it. Not a collector or an investor so yes, I run them and a few are painted. My brass power consists of 3 steamers, 5 diesels, 3 traction cars, and a Mack Bulldog railbus...
  7. N

A street corner in Lisbon

Very nice! Lisbon is one place I always wanted to visit. Your beautiful work is almost like being there.
  8. N

Truck question.

I also think the code 88 wheels might be the problem. Another thing could be how loose or how tight the screws are that hold the trucks to the bottom of the car. A bit too snug and the trucks won't swing easily enough to follow the curves in the track. Too loose will make the cars rock and...
  9. N

Windows 10 debackle

The best thing about Windows 10 as far as I'm concerned is the free upgrade offer has expired and I don't have to keep dealing with the pop up offer. I was perfectly happy with XP for years until the computer crapped out. My current replacement is a Dell running 7 Pro and no complaints...
  10. N

Opinions on Bachmann Spectrum?

I have 2 Spectrum HO 44 tonners - DC, and a 70 tonner DCC and they run very smooth at all speeds and are quiet. The 44 Ts are the later run with the single motor running shafts to each truck. The 70 tonner has been run at a friend's layout which is DCC and it runs well there also. Also have...
  11. N

Weekly Photo Fun 3/20 through 3/27

Nothing new from me lately but I'll join in on the caboose week with a couple of shots of LV T2. Ex N&W transfer car in brass.
  12. N

New Locomotive and Sirty Wheels

It sounds like there was some sort of preservative or lube put on at the factory to keep the wheels from oxidation and it picked up whatever minute dust, etc. that was on the rails. What brand is the loco? I can't ever recall having that problem with Athearn Atlas, or Proto right out of the box.
  13. N

Background Buildings

Not quite a background building but something that could be done with a swap meet bargain. Just about as run down as it gets. If your background area has a street or other bit of open space in front you could include the demolition equipment.
  14. N

air brush hanger

I put an 8-32 x 1 1/2 inch long machine screw through it and ran a nut down against the back side. When I use the airbrush I put the holder in the jaws of my bench vice
  15. N

grade question

One other consideration with a grade is whether it is a straight line or a grade built on a radius or curve. Pulling up a 3% curved grade puts a bit more load on the engine than if it were pulling the same train up a straight line 3% grade. I have two 3% grades on 24 inch radius curves. All...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.