Recent content by MXD

1. M

Sculptamold, Hydrocal, Plaster of Paris?

I am having good luck with sculptamold so far but I can't get it to look smooth when I need to. It's always lumpy which is fine for ground cover but sometimes I don't want that look.
  2. M

Sculptamold mixture

I got it at Blick's. They are a chain and there happends to be one near where I live. Here is the link to their store locator http://www.dickblick.com/stores/
  3. M

Some progress so far

Yeah, this is the only section I am going to do. I just wanted to give it a shot to see how I'd do. All of the tunnels are accessible from the back and I already test ran this section.
  4. M

Some progress so far

My camera stinks. The rocks are actually a burnt umber with several other dark washes but you can't see it in the photos. Oh well.
  5. M

Some progress so far

I know I should not have done this out of order but this is my first real layout with scenery so I wanted to do a small section to make sure I don't get too far if I have no clue. What do you guys think? I still need to do some finish work to cover a few bare spots and go around with a brush...
  6. M

Hotwire type knife on sale at harbor freight

Has anyone used one like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66182&?utm_source=internet_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5109B&r=7229_149596
  7. M

Making your own plaster paper

What is the secret? Is it in the brand of paper towel? What consistency do you mix it to? I tried an experiment last night using P.o.P. and bounty but it's not hardening up to well.
  8. M

My first attempt at a tunnel portal

I guess its a good sign that I thought of that already. At least I know my hunches fall in line with the advise of those more experienced. Here is a shot after I added some black to it. Its shiny because its still wet. I will probably need to add another spray.
  9. M

Here are a couple of more pics. I lightened the color a bit because when I put the top on it looks too black. This is where the two tracks will exit the mountain and come together before entering a small yard.
  10. M

Thanks guys. I snapped that pic when it was still wet. It actually looks dull now that its dry. I made some more progress so I'll snap a few more pics and get them up with a brief tutorial. I have both inner walls done, the roadbed done and the rock wall between the roadbeds done. I...
  11. M

This is all made of styrene with a coat of sculptamold over it. Both the portal and interior wall were done the same way.
  12. M

Layout Progress

Awesome job. It inspires a newb like me that a simple layout can look amazing with the right details. Thank you.
  13. M

Did I make a mistake?

No worries, I figured you just read it fast and didn't realize I was talking about the 2x3's.
  14. M

And so it begins....

I can't seem to find the draw bar pull spec for my loco anywhere. I'll keep digging around. Here is what I have (except in black) http://lionel.com/products/productfinder/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductNumber=6-11100&expandBranch=0&Keywords=mikado&CategoryID=495&RailLineID=&CatalogId=
  15. M

Did I make a mistake?

I'm not. I was just posting what the 2x3's actually measured since he said he wasn't sure.

Back