Recent content by mschreuder

1. M

Newbie with layout reccomendations

Sounds like you're making some progress! How about posting a few pictures if you can? Always fun to see progress photos.
  2. M

Going to start soon, need advice.

Might want to pick up a copy of Model Railroader's "102 Trackplans" special edition. Seems to have a lot of good ideas for similar size spaces to yours.
  3. M

First Layout - (another) Miami Industrial Switching shelf layout

Weathering Track I got an inexpensive airbrush for Christmas, so the first thing I decided to do was to start weathering the track. I followed the advice given in one of Lance Mindhiem's articles in Model Railroader. I started off giving everything an airbrush coat of Polyscale light gray...
  4. M

Fascia Board A little more progress - I ripped some 1/8" masonite I had lying around down to 6" width and made a fascia board to go around the perimiter of the benchwork. I think 1/4" masonite would have been a little better, but this is what I had and I think it will work out OK. It really...
  5. M

Thanks for all the kind comments! The photos of the Antillean container stacks are just screen shots from Google Street Views along the river. I grabbed a couple of shots and lined them up together and printed them out. If you look close, the perspective is a little goofy from one end to the...
  6. M

Well, my son's football season is over, so I've got some time to start working on the railroad again. I decided the next step was to start building up some more elaborate mockup buildings to get a better sense of the dimensions, style, overall look, etc. To make the mockups, I started...
  7. M

Here is the latest, and hopefully final version of the trackplan.
  8. M

Today's Progress Had a few hours available this afternoon, so I was able to get the last of the track laid on the shelves. The only track remaining is in the mini staging yard, but that has to wait for a trip to Hobby Lobby for a code 83 #4 RH turnout. The first photo shows the final track...
  9. M

Simple Video System for Hidden Staging To be able to monitor the hidden staging tracks I was thinking about a simple video camera like this one. There are scads of them on EBay for $29.95 I already have a small LCD video monitor (a cheapie that normally mounts in a auto seat headrest...
  10. M

Good question... I am planning to build these warehouse buildings primarily out of styrene plastic. I'm going to have to do some research to see where I can get the detail parts. Again, I'll rely heavily on descriptions by other modelers on internet sites to see how they did this. I imagine...
  11. M

Nephthyr: The track is Micro Engineering code 70 flex and ME #6 turnouts. The staging tracks will be Atlas code 83 flex and Atlas #4 turnouts. updallassub: The buildings mock-ups are 1/4" foam board held together with Elmer's glue and scotch tape. There are also a few cardboard boxes of...
  12. M

Stranded bus wire would have been easier to work with, but I couldn't find the 'suitcase' style crimps at my local Home Depot. The soldering is not that big of a deal since I have the iron hot to connect to the rails anyway. If it was a larger layout, it probably would have been worth the...
  13. M

More Progress (continued) For track feeders, I am using a heavier gauge doorbell wire (20 gauge solid I believe). I solder these to the bottom of the rail joiners roughly every 3 feet or so. They feed through to the underside of the shelf and then are soldered to the 14 gauge solid bus wires...
  14. M

More Progress (continued) I also managed to get all ten turnouts laid along with most of the track. I decided to solder all of the rail joiners. I've seen posts extolling the virtues of soldering and of not soldering, so I decided to play it safe and solder. I figure that being in a basement...
  15. M

More Progress Got a lot done over the last week or so. I decided to go ahead and extend the existing 1/8" masonite backdrop along the north wall and just cut out a hole for the thermostat that's there. The backdrop is only 14" high - I might end up wishing it was taller before I'm all done...

Back