Recent content by kgstakes

1. kgstakes

Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Well started second week of new job yesterday. Few thunderstorms last week came through. Drying out sorta this week. To answer someone’s question (sorry don’t remember who), yes my work is related to my woodworking hobby. I’ve been in woodworking my entire life (cabinetry, building and...
  2. kgstakes

Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Good morning all!! It’s 57 f and a 50% chance of rain today so I’m sure it’ll rain today. Well got the hobby room pretty much set up the shadow box layout still needs attention but that will have to wait for the weekend. New home and today starting new job, this will be interesting, hate...
  3. kgstakes

What Others Think You Should Model

I personally have never come across the type of people you’re talking about, course I don’t belong to any clubs use to years back but never got much out of it. Sure got to meet people with the same interests, model railroading but I live in the country and to ask someone to come see my layout...
  4. kgstakes

Still kicking

Hey everyone!! Still kicking but the move to our new house is kicking my butt. Lots of things to do before I get to model building again or just running trains but I’m getting there. Enjoy all your posts, my take a few months to get up and running again just need to get the house and shop...
  5. kgstakes

Have you actually ridden a narrow Gauge train?

I’ve rode on the Durango and Silverton, Cumbres and Toltec, Georgetown loop, all with the Rocky Mountain railroad club and they did photo run bys at different places so we all could take pictures. Then rode on the Virginia and Truckee (believe that is standard gauge). All were done in the...
  6. kgstakes

Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Ok being new to the area let’s get the important stuff out of the way first 🤪 In Kansas, hutch Wichita area well let’s says an hour from Cheney, trains stores? Would love to find a place like the old caboose hobbies was like in Colorado years ago. Anyway trains stores in my area? Anyone?
  7. kgstakes

Yes moving to Kansas, Cheney not far from Wichita. Found a place with a shop and about an acre.
  8. kgstakes

Good morning folks!! Well we made it to our new home and got the things we brought unpacked. Today it’ll be a little windy but have to get a few things done before the moving truck comes tomorrow. This move has been a crazy one (I’ll spare everyone the details). Hopefully the truck shows up...
  9. kgstakes

Steam or Diesel Locomotives?

No but you never know I might change to N scale and run all of them. Big boy, challenger, northern 844. To me that would be cool just to have even a three track shelf around my modeling shop area and just run those….. complete with excursion cars. Just to watch, all have sound!!! Now that...
  10. kgstakes

Steam or Diesel Locomotives?

Big boy I like them too. I rode behind 844 and believe it or not it was 8444 when the Rocky Mountain railroad club took the train from Denver to Sterling and back. This was back in the 80s. I like the challenger too but haven’t had the funds to purchase any of the above locomotives. I...
  11. kgstakes

Good morning all!! Been on the road going to Kansas almost last trip then in Kansas for good. Moving is not fun. We’ve had delays after delays with the moving company but everything got loaded and truck be at our house Tuesday. So that’s good. Next trip driving my father’s truck with him to...
  12. kgstakes

Atlas #56 turnout switch

And I'll add to bnxf971 post. Also do not hold the button down for very long or you will burn out your switch motor. If you think your switch might be bad, change it. Because they are a momentary contact button and if something is wrong with the button and it sticks, you burned up your switch...
  13. kgstakes

Atlas #56 turnout switch

If memory serves me right (sorry been years) you have three wires going to each switch. and then on the side you have your positive and negative wires.
  14. kgstakes

2-4-4-2 Steam Loco

After our move and I get things settled down a bit I’ll dig it out and take some real close up shots of it. It has a scoop of the bottom of the tender to pick up water. Don’t see that detail on very many models. Back then or now.
  15. kgstakes

Trains.com

The problem I see with trainz (never seen it be honest) is that the people that are using it. Think they are model railroaders but unless you get glue on your fingers, plaster dried on your hands, or actually build something with your hands, you’re not a model railroader. Model railroading is...

Back