Recent content by JimT

1. J

Are model trains a good investment

Not in my experiance. Sometimes things appear to increase in price as the price of new items increase however it's seldom an actual increase when inflation is figured in. Are Blue Box Athearn models a better deal at the original $2.49 or at todays "adjusted" prices.. that's arguable but I...
  2. J

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

How are you doing physically Jim ? I've had a tough past week but I'm getting through it. I've been concerned about you.
  3. J

rail power 1370 power packs

Did you ever get your power packs sorted out? I have used just about all MRC products, I might be able to help.
  4. J

Track Conductivity Product

Lots of work, too much effort. Every model railroader should have a can (plastic bottle) of Wahl Clipper oil on hand. I literally forget about conductivity after a couple of very light applications...
  5. J

finally a movie i will go see

Divine Providence? My belief as well however some don't share my faith.
  6. J

First Bismark was slowed and damaged, a hole in a large fuel tank that trailed oil and made evasion nearly impossible by the Prince of Wales 14" gunnery... not bad for a brand new, untested, hardly trained ship and crew with construction men still aboard. Kudo's POW. Eventually Swordfish...
  7. J

There's also the fact that POW never tried to re-engage, even at the end when KG-5 and Rodney closed in on the crippled Bismark. The British tried to hide that for decades. Kennedys book is really quite good. POW did OK to in the opening battle. Hitting and holing Bismark, opening a large...
  8. J

I know the story very well. C.S. Forresters book (published during WWII) which the first movie followed was "flawed" Vain made no torpedo attack at night with his Destroyers, there were other problems but it was entertaining especially for over 50 years ago. I own it on DVD. Kennedys book...
  9. J

Making 1970s Life-Like Rolling Stock Reliable at a Reasonable Price, Under $5 per Car

Good work Bruette ! Last night I took an older boxcar (marked only "Hong Kong" and upgraded it too, mine used Kadee couplers and wheels because I had them. I also super glued pennies together (4 x 2) for weight on either end of the car (where it can't be seen) pennies are literally cheaper...
  10. J

Well Jim I understand. I'm in a simular position however I've taken the opposite tact. I've planned a room sized "woosdsy" layout with a bit of urban sprawl. I live alone, I'm not blessed with a wife as you are. I will work as I recover and as I can. If I get lots done, great.... if not...
  11. J

Jim, I have so much compassion for you. I hope all goes well. I am praying for you to have a full, and rapid recovery. I know how scary it is, hang in there, San Diego is in a "civilized" area your hospitals should be just fine.
  12. J

Give them hell before you let them cut Jim, removing my gall bladder was where I got the infection that tried to kill me for a decade. Hopefully that's over now. Seriously, talk to your doc about sterilization.
  13. J

Sticker Shock

I love Varney... real quality and crisp casting as the dies were new back then. I am blessed to have most of the detail parts on hand, lots of scale lumber, plastic, chain etc. I just kitbashed a MOW style caboose out of a Bobber caboose, a surplus Train Miniture box car floor and scale...
  14. J

Running a Rivarossi on the bench

Make sure the tender pickups are clean, wheels are clean and the drawbar between the tender and loco is clean, no corrosion anywhere, then lube every contact point with Wahl clipper oil. I bet your problems go away.
  15. J

HO ballast

I spent my first 14 years living literally next to the Sante Fe mainline in Los Angeles. The balast was "manicured" every three months or so. Generally it was grey and dark grey however what I remember most from walking those rails nearly daily was the high percentage of glass that was...

Back