Recent content by jim smith-wright

1. J

Under Construction - Birmingham UK

One of the most common questions I get asked when I tell people I am going to model the shopping centre is 'What will we actually see?' *So far I have had to try to describe that the intention is to leave off the rear wall of Platform 12 to give the viewer the impression that they are standing...
  2. J

Hi Everyone Apologies for not providing any updates on here in a while. I have been busy and I have added a workbench to my website where those who wish to can follow what I am doing. Of course any members of this forum who would like to sign up to it will be more than welcome...
  3. J

Hi All Something a little different. 2 shots taken for one picture. The upper one is an overall shot, with a single spotlight bounced from the roof. The lower one the only light source is an LED in the coach and a hand held LED above the station lamp. By combining the two, lightening...
  4. J

Hi All Been doing a spot of weathering on my track. The sidings outside of the signal box - I use a base dusting of humbrol 29 (dark earth) and then a mix of gunmetal and black for the oily bits. The non running rails are chemically blackened with gun blue. close up of one of...
  5. J

Hi All Been busy totally rebuilding my website - heres a few preview pics of new stuff the website url is www.p4newstreet.com Regards Jim Cheers Jim
  6. J

Hi Carl/Otis Yes the track is all hand built using exactoscale components and the catenary is entirely scratch built. The platforms are peco sides (modified) with tops from 60thou plasticard Hope this helps Jim
  7. J

Hi Chris It may not have over there, over here it did, it is now cloudy and doesnt work. Original bottles of Klear not go for high prices on eBay. Regards Jim
  8. J

Hi All I have also finished off the retaining wall that goes over the London end tunnel mouth. This has opened up some angles for pictures that I didnt have before. The newest trains on the layout will be my class 155's. These are modified Dapol models. A peak waits for its...
  9. J

Hi All I thought a quick explanation of how I weather stuff might be of interest (other methods are available). The subject is a Hornby 50 which has had the usual treatment I apply to my class 50 fleet. That being replace the wheels with P4 ones that are the right diameter. Lower it on its...
  10. J

Hi All Been building a simple phone box kit - Its a fair bit bigger in the pic than it is in real life. Note the impression of business cards on the wall. I also added the handset and a representation of a phone book. Cheers Jim
  11. J

Hi All I have finished the 4 waiting rooms at the B end of the platforms. The benches are DC kits ones trimmed down a bit. I am not sure about the wheeled skips as I think they are too new but I would appreciate anyone who knows about this and can advise. I have also completed the...
  12. J

Hi All Not posted any trains on the layout type pics for a while so to redress the balance... 47088 arrives light engine. This is a bachmann model featuring heljan bogie sideframes and tanks. I still need to correct the boiler port. 47457 departs for the south - this one is a...
  13. J

Hi All Using all of my creative powers I came up with the title of white van men for the following picture. Thats because its, erm, a load of white vans! Cheers Jim
  14. J

Hi all Back in September I took the layout so far to scaleforum exhibition as a work in progress. It's always nice to see your stuff through the lens/eyes of a third party and a small gallery can be seen here http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2011/new_st.html Cheers Jim
  15. J

A lot of british layout do have tardis' or any number of other clichés that people just seem to love to do. I wont be having one - sorry! Jim

Back